Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9677806/Umpire-ejects-entire-crowd-during-baseball-game

WEST BURLINGTON, Iowa (AP) - An umpire has emptied the stands at a high school baseball game, ejecting the entire crowd of more than 100 fans for being unruly.

Umpire Don Briggs said he had no problem with any of the student athletes during Thursday's game between Winfield-Mount Union and West Burlington.

He said he had to take action because fans were being unruly, yelling and arguing, and called police as a precaution.

However, West Burlington superintendent James Sleister said he didn't see any unusual behavior and said he thought the umpire overreacted.

The game resumed after a 40-minute delay. West Burlington won 12-11.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Carol Hanrahan said:
Wonder if that ump will be asked to ref any more games there?
I have my doubts and knowing small towns he might have to move too, lol.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I umpire BBall also but the only problem I have had was at most 1 fan

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
I can't wait till DH gets home from work to see if he has heard this story or knows this guy.  He umps high school baseball and softball in SE Iowa and we only live about an hour west of Burlington - I can't imagine what kind of a bad day this guy must of been having to think police needed to be called in and trying to eject the entire crowd :eek: !  I'll be surprised if Don Briggs ever umps again in Iowa!

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
DH says umpire apparently doesn't know the rules either - the umpire cannot eject any non-participant (coaches or players only), he can request the administration remove any unruly fans, but he has no right to toss anyone from the crowd!  He won't be surprised if his license is suspended.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts