Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to see the excitement of each person opening their brand new Kindle2 when it is delivered. I remember it all so well with K1:

Looking out the window every 5 minutes: (on the 25th and beyond)

Knowing what it was when the doorbell rang. Heart pouncing: yessss; it's here...yessss! The UPS man looking at you like you are a member of the Cleaver family as you sing-song...Thaaank youuuu!! Have a nice dayyyy!!!

Then, you want to tear the box open: but you think twice; and ever so gently open it...and Oh!! when you get to the "Kindle box" under all the cardboard; a sight to behold. With caution, you anxiously unpack each side of the "book-like" box trying to memorize exactly where each item was placed. (wonder if K2 will still be in a book-like box)

Next, your heart drops to your feet when you realize you have to wait 2 (now 4)hours for a charge. You plug it in, and check the time every five minutes. You pace, you keep checking the charge light, you go to Kindlebooks.com, you pace some more...Then magic...the charging light goes out.

Once again, your heart starts to race and your palms start to sweat. Ever so carefully, you hold it as not to smudge the screen. Gently flip the on switch and see the wonderful floating words Amazon Kindle appear; you can't believe your eyes...and then the Welcome, you are reading your first Kindle book. Of course, you nearly die when you see your name personalized on the welcome note.

You eat dinner late, because you were busy with the Kindle; then leave the dishes in the sink...hours and hours later, you're still up in bed, fumbling with Kindle: next page, last page, home, whispernet, flip, flip; scroll, scroll, (now jog/toggle) download, one-click. Soon, you start to get drowsy and figure I better put my precious Kindle down before I fall asleep and roll on it and crack the screen. Reluctantly, you put in within arms-reach next to the bed (not on the bed).

The next morning you are awake BEFORE your alarm because of the Kindle. Flip, flip; scroll, scroll (toggle,toggle)...you don't bother to make the bed...too busy. Oh shoot!! You put Kindle down...jump in the shower, brush your teeth, barely make it to work on time. The whole day at work; your itchy fingers want to pull out the Kindle. After work, sandwhiches or take out for dinner...too busy with the Kindle...no dishes this time; oh no-sir-e.

Later that evening; no tv...no time, too busy; still playing with the Kindle. Next day at work there is the hint of purple under your eyes from lack of sleep for the second night in a row; and once again--you gladly repeat the process. Oh the joy!

Ah the memory... wish I could be a fly on the wall; well, maybe a butterfly...for each person's reaction.
Enjoy your new K2!
Visit www.SquareTrade.com for 3 year warranty ask for ADH plan

·
Registered
493 Posts
If my delivery goes like yours obviously did I may have to medicate myself in order to avoid getting committed to the asylum by unfortunate witnesses.  I suspect this might be a real danger and shall take appropriate measures to avoid it.  First I shall schedule a personal day to get out of work.  Second, a giant mail slot so the UPS guy can hand me the packedge without having to witness my unfortunate happy dance.  Third, a stand by to sign the board in case I am incapable of holding a pen.  Finally, tinted windows so that pedestrians can't see the aforementioned dance during the next four hours while the Kindle is charging.

If I have missed any chance of exposure could someone let me know, I wouldn't want to risk a state hospital in that condition. ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Gruntman said:
If my delivery goes like yours obviously did I may have to medicate myself in order to avoid getting committed to the asylum by unfortunate witnesses. I suspect this might be a real danger and shall take appropriate measures to avoid it. First I shall schedule a personal day to get out of work. Second, a giant mail slot so the UPS guy can hand me the packedge without having to witness my unfortunate happy dance. Third, a stand by to sign the board in case I am incapable of holding a pen. Finally, tinted windows so that pedestrians can't see the aforementioned dance during the next four hours while the Kindle is charging.

If I have missed any chance of exposure could someone let me know, I wouldn't want to risk a state hospital in that condition. ;)
Make sure that the webcams and any other camera are put away. Wouldn't want an accidental pic of you doing your happy dance....

·
Registered
493 Posts
ogie287 said:
Make sure that the webcams and any other camera are put away. Wouldn't want an accidental pic of you doing your happy dance....
Good Idea, I shall start destroying all image capturing devices immediately.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I wish delivery was this week. I am home this week. It is probley good it not this week because I would not get anything done. At least I go into work late in the morning next week. Also I will be finish with my school work by this Sunday. And my next class will not start 3/2. At least I will have the first few mornings and nights to play with it. And the weekend of course. ;D

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
And don't forget to get your Xanax refilled before the 25th. You'll need it while you're waiting for the UPS man.
I have to remember to leave a note for the UPS man. My usual UPS man knows to leave any package next door at the laundry mat. I am going to leave a note in case anyone new delivers my package.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My UPS delivery is usually just before 5 pm.  I'm so bad...I once pretended to acidentally run into my UPS man at his lunch stop.  I said, "Oh, hi...I didn't expect to see you here; if you have anything for me, I'll save you the trip and take it off your hands now."

·
Registered
493 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
And don't forget to get your Xanax refilled before the 25th. You'll need it while you're waiting for the UPS man.
Not sure Xanax will do it, is there an over the counter version of Thorazine.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anne: I have to wash my blankets on the 25th I don't like to put the wear and tear on my new washer and dryer...can you suggest a good laundry mat??

Luvmy4brats: Cold cereal will do; some are packed with vitamins...Kix is good.

Gruntman:
your board name will suit you...you will be a grunting man doing that happy dance.

I still can't believe that I tracked down the UPS man at his lunchstop...I feel so rude when I think back.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
sjc said:
Anne: I have to wash my blankets on the 25th I don't like to put the wear and tear on my new washer and dryer...can you suggest a good laundry mat??

Luvmy4brats: Cold cereal will do; some are packed with vitamins...Kix is good.

Gruntman:
your board name will suit you...you will be a grunting man doing that happy dance.

I still can't believe that I tracked down the UPS man at his lunchstop...I feel so rude when I think back.
LOL if you lived near me you know what laundry mat I would recommend ;D The people who work next door at the laundry mat are great ;D They never mind getting my packages. I just have to remember not to rip the package out of the hands of the person who hands me the package. :D

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Thanks sjc for bringing back those wonderful memories of the day my Kindle arrived! I am so excited for all of you waiting on your new K2s!  :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'll be working that day, but checking the UPS site.  If it comes before lunch I'll run home from work to start the charging process!

I wonder how many people would pay $X extra to have it come full charged?  Hmmm.....maybe I should start a poll!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
sjc said:
My UPS delivery is usually just before 5 pm. I'm so bad...I once pretended to acidentally run into my UPS man at his lunch stop. I said, "Oh, hi...I didn't expect to see you here; if you have anything for me, I'll save you the trip and take it off your hands now."
My UPS man is usually in town around noon. He doesn't make it to my house until after 4..Sometimes closer to 7-8pm. I can either call the UPS center and have them hold the package for me (I can pick it up at noon in the next town over - about 30 minutes away) Or I can head into town and hunt down the driver.

Gruntman - A bottle of Jack or Jose should do the job if you can't find OTC Thorazine.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
The Best Part for me this time when I get my new Kindle. I will have this great group to share my excitement with. I wonder what kind of box the Kindle will come in this time?

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Just remember you can read it while it's charging. You can also read while the books are downloading. (At least you can with the K1..I'm going to hope it's the same for K2)
I think since I still have my Kindle1. I may read Sookie while I wait for Champagne to charge etc.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts