Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I don't actually own a Kindle *yet*, but expect to have one fairly soon because I've just won one as a prize. 

I don't think I ever would have bought one on my own (too much time reading on a screen as it is, and would rather have a real book) but I was curious whether I should just sell it unopened or at least give it a try for a few weeks, and so I started researching them online, and found this site, and saw soooo many people who just love the little gadgets that now I'm leaning toward actually keeping it.

Please tell me that naming it is not really a requirement... 

Susan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome to the community, Susan.  There are a bunch of us from VA -- and it seems like the list keeps growing!

I was in the same boat as you.  Before buying my Kindle 2, I was pretty much a public library person.  However, having the Kindle has been a great experience so far.  Besides the expected benefits (e.g., small form factor, multiple books, reduced prices on ebooks, etc.), I have also found the Whispernet sync (with the iPhone) to be amazingly useful.

Also, you have a full month to decide whether you want to keep it or return to Amazon for a full refund.  I would say give it a try and read a couple of books.  You may find that you really prefer to read on the Kindle over normal paper books (also known as "dead tree books" or "DTBs" in the community).

BTW, naming your Kindle is not a requirement ... though some may disagree with my answer.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Reading on a Kindle is nothing like reading on a computer screen. It is so much like reading from a paper book that after a short while you don't even notice that you are reading from advice. I say try, You might find you like it better, many of us have.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on winning the K2.

If you haven't read on an ebook reader before, it does take a bit getting used to especially if you like the feel of a book in your hands. I have hand/gripping issues so it's just easier for me to read on a reader. It's easier on the eyes and you can read in a variety of positions without having to worry about holding the weight of a book up, not to mention the possibility of losing your page while reading in bed.

I still take certain books out of the library and I still buy books that I'd like to have a physical copy of...usually non-fiction or a story that really blew my mind away.

I'd give it a whirl, it might just surprise you how easy it is right out of the box :))

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reading in bed is probably not a good idea for me...  I see from some postings here that the Kindle is somewhat fragile, and I tend to stay up very late and then fall asleep while reading, so I'd end up squashing it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome to the boards, Susan.  Another Virginian here  :)
Hope you enjoy your new Kindle.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Welcome to the boards. Pretty soon, your new Kindle will be fully accessorized!  ;)

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kind said:
Welcome to the boards. Pretty soon, your new Kindle will be fully accessorized! ;)
Wait, wait, I don't even HAVE it yet! Not to mention that I hadn't even -- quite -- decided whether to keep it. Suddenly I feel this Borg-like hum around me.... You will keep your Kindle, and you will fully accessorize it.... :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Resistance is futile!

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guess I'd better go check whether they've shipped it yet.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
One look - book - and you'll be hooked. I love my Kindle. I'm a book aholic and love the smell of books but got tired of being stuck somewhere and just finished the one I was reading or trying to carry a large tomb (?) around. Not to mention all the wonderful free/cheap books I've gotten since owning one and authors I've meet!

the biggest side effect of kindle for me was that I no longer have to carry reading glasses around!!!

Anywhoo. as another person wrote resistance is futile. We love our kindles <ggggg>

Oh did I say welcome to the boards??? Well welcome. You don't have to name your kindle but check out the accessories :)!

theres am

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Oh Susan - give it a chance - you will love it  ;)  I let my cousin use my "back up" and she is upset with me because she got hooked on one book!  Nah she's not upset, not really, I don't think, I hope not  ;)  Of course, remember you won't find anyone here that does not like their kindle, we are all obsessed but not every one names their kindle, I call mine kindle  :D  Just keep reading, we are glad to have you here.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Six days.  Six measly days, and that counter at the top right tells me that I've spent AN ENTIRE DAY on here.  That's just scary.

(OK, sometimes I've been signed on while actually doing something else at the computer.  But mostly not.)

Maybe it will wear off after a little while.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Welcome Susan. A week and you already have 2 stars.  ;D  So when will you receive your Kindle? Let us know how you love your first Kindle.  :D

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shizu said:
Welcome Susan. A week and you already have 2 stars. ;D So when will you receive your Kindle? Let us know how you love your first Kindle. :D
A week and I already have a pile of stuff on my desk that didn't get done because I was hanging out here!

It's supposed to arrive on Wednesday. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do a "Kindlewatch" because I'll be out most of the day. :(

Looking back at the beginning of this thread, I can't believe I considered not keeping the K2. I still haven't actually *seen* one in real life, mind you, but everyone here is so enthusiastic about the little dears....

Thanks to all of you for your warm welcomes!

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Yayyyy, Susan! We need more Virginian Kindlers!

Betsy
I dunno.... I was thinking that if I joined the Good Morning thread, I'd have to move, since there are already three or four people reporting the weather from NoVa....

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Susan in VA said:
I dunno.... I was thinking that if I joined the Good Morning thread, I'd have to move, since there are already three or four people reporting the weather from NoVa....
Just come wish us all a good day, no weather report, we won't tell. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts