Kindle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This happened last week when I first reported that they'd been moved down to the bottom. Some people couldn't see it at first. I've tried different browsers and incognito and I'm not seeing them at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine shrunk down to that 4 tiny vertical line then changed to "also viewed" instead.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Checked and found them at the bottom of the page. Random search with Chrome app on phone.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not seeing them on anything. Last week this happened. I made a thread and some people were saying they couldn't see the shift to the bottom, three days later another thread popped up and people were seeing what I seen. Maybe my laptop is psychic?

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
I have a small number of bought-after-viewing-this items presented vertically. Then, way down at the bottom, a horizontal row of also-boughts atop a horizontal row of also-vieweds. The testing seems to be continuing. :(

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Becca Mills said:
I have a small number of bought-after-viewing-this items presented vertically. Then, way down at the bottom, a horizontal row of also-boughts atop a horizontal row of also-vieweds. The testing seems to be continuing. :(
Maybe I caught them on the hop - I have sponsored ads only. No AB's at the bottom at all.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Atlantisatheart said:
I'm not seeing them on anything. Last week this happened. I made a thread and some people were saying they couldn't see the shift to the bottom, three days later another thread popped up and people were seeing what I seen. Maybe my laptop is psychic?
Then my desktop machine is psychic too. I'm not seeing any ABs at all (I'm on Firefox).

Oh wait - on Chrome, they're there, right under the series list and right above the first line of ads, just like the good old days of... ooh, last week or so.

Still split testing, then.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I am willing to bet Amazon is calculating how much money they make per book in the rows of also-bots that are coming from random book pages and is weighing that against the money they make from the rows of sponsored book ads.  If the latter is more, Amazon may start reserving also-bought slots only for books that are also being sponsored, or for non-sponsored books that generate an unusually large amount of revenue for Amazon.  Because the rows of sponsored ads can go very deep, and readers don't have endless time--and because readers trust also-bots more--Amazon is undoubtedly looking at poaching also-bot space.

Amazon may also get rid of also-bots for readers who never use them.  It works better for Amazon if ads take up those slots, because if readers click on them but don't buy, Amazon still makes money, and that's better than showing also-bots to readers who never buy from them.

·
Super Moderator
10,088 Posts
Atlantisatheart said:
Maybe I caught them on the hop - I have sponsored ads only. No AB's at the bottom at all.
Exactly how much testing do they need, I wonder. :-\

Maybe it's about seeing what quantity and configuration of offerings will generate the most attention to the sponsored products from which kinds of shoppers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
GeneDoucette said:
i'm seeing multiple pages of also-boughts, prominently, above the sponsored products line. Doesn't look any different to me.
Weird. I'm only seeing four also-boughts for your book The Fixer and they're laid out in a vertical format:

ETA: ...and now it's back to normal. Must have been testing or a glitch.

745 Posts
Will C. Brown said:
Weird. I'm only seeing four also-boughts for your book The Fixer and they're laid out in a vertical format:

ETA: ...and now it's back to normal. Must have been testing or a glitch.
Whenever Amazon starts messing around with this sort of thing it isn't about the specific book page itself, it's about the person viewing, and what browser/device they're viewing on. (So two people will look at the same book and see different things, but generally each person will see the same thing on all the book pages they view--at least on that browser for that session.)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe amazon are testing us to see our reaction to what we'll say or come up with in a plan of action if they killed the AB'S and went totally pay per play? Ever feel like you're being watched?

If they kill the AB'S then they are basically handing over the shop to the marketeers. It'll be the kiss of death for new authors, and going wide would be preferable for outside advertising than handing over half of our profits back to amazon.

I've been running tests on ads for the last few days, and in PNR, it now costs $1.20 plus to get on the front of the sponsored ad page for the bigger authors, with $.67-.85 cost per click. That's bad, and for those of us who write shorter books (50k) that makes KU useless and ad spend would mean that amazon might as well be paying us 35% or less.

I'm glad that I've already started to build a base wide.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
MelanieCellier said:
Whenever Amazon starts messing around with this sort of thing it isn't about the specific book page itself, it's about the person viewing, and what browser/device they're viewing on. (So two people will look at the same book and see different things, but generally each person will see the same thing on all the book pages they view--at least on that browser for that session.)
I don't know. I've had also-boughts completely disappear on a page, and when I refresh they're back. It's really weird this testing, and I'll be honest, it scares the crap out of me. I use also-boughts as a reader (and trust them). As an author, they're one of my best selling tools (on Amazon) because like me, readers trust them. I don't like this [bullcrap] they're pulling. What's the point of Amazon if the bestseller lists AND the also-boughts become useless? It's just Ad Central then. :-\ :mad:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Amazon seem determined to make their store into a place readers CAN'T find what they want.

When I go to Amazon to find a book, I end up surfing around, clicking book covers, reading blurbs, then not buying anything. Faced with too many choices, I become indecisive, and end up feeling scattered and unhappy, because I've wasted my time. By then I don't feel like reading.
But when I go to Apple or Kobo, I mostly buy a book within a few clicks and start reading right away.

What really annoys me, I often click on several AMS ads while looking for books on Amazon, and if I add up what those ads might have cost, I find that Amazon made maybe 2 or 3 dollars from my visit, straight out of the pockets of authors, and I still have no book to read.

That's the worst part. Knowing Amazon made more money from me NOT buying a book, than they and the author/publisher would have made had I just gone there and bought one.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have Also Bots right where they've always been. Right under the book description. Then a carousel of Sponsoreds, then another carousel of Sponsored just above the reviews and a carousel of Also Vieweds at the bottom of the page. Plenty of choices there for the readers to scroll through.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.