Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I saw some reports on this diet earlier this week and somehow the concept really appealed to me. Basically you alternate fasting and "feeding"... on the fast days women eat only 500 calories, men 600 a day. On the other days you eat whatever you want. This one Doc tried 2 days fasting and 5 not and got very good results... here is a documentary he did that aired on the BBC... free to watch:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms#.UUzB06WR9G4

And then he wrote this book:

FYI: there are a lot of copy cat books on Amazon, even though it is a fairly new ideal... but this one above is by the same guy who did the doc and it is really a simple concept, just the sample & doc really had all the info I feel I need right now.

There is a lot of research that fasting like this can have a lot of benefits... I found the documentary really interesting and well done. One interesting thing was an interview he did with a researcher who had people alternate the fasting/feeding concept everyday. I am thinking of trying this to start off..
then tapering back. I have a lot of weight to lose (unlike the Doc) but will see how it goes...

I am half into a my first fasting day and feel really good. Some eat all of their calories at one meal, other spread it out which is what I am doing. I had a hard boiled and egg with small amount of half & half. I plane to have half a baked potato, a green juice & another egg later... tea (with stevia) and lots of water is what I'm drinking.

Anyone else try it? Interested... lots more info online... google: alternate fasting

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
it's not a "new concept".  it's an old concept repackaged for the next generation of people who are looking for a quick fix.  unfortunately, there is no such thing. 

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand your point telracs, but there is a lot of research that fasting or extreme calorie restriction can have big benifits. If you watch the documentary you might be surprised. I don't think this is a fad diet but an actual way of life... which is what I am looking for.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I read a version of it where you skip a meal a day.  Say you stop eating at 7 Monday night, and don't eat again until 11 am.  (I think it was a few times a week, not every day.)  And I watched a documentary (can't remember which) that talked about how fasting lowered the level of something (so helpful, I know) that was an indicator of your risk of developing cancer.
I skipped breakfast a few times.  Once you get over the first hunger pangs for half an hour or so, it wasn't too bad.  I plan to try again.  Keep us updated.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
My only word of advice is to consult your physician before making any such changes -- especially if you are being treated for any health problems, so that s/he can determine if any such dietary/life-style changes may affect medications, therapies, etc.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Interesting, most of the evidence based medicine articles I read later stress not skipping meals, especially breakfast as prolonged fasting caused your body to lower your metabolism to conserve calories. Eat 4-6 small meals per day and your body doesn't have to worry about how long it will be for your next one. Higher protein diets have shown better benefits than other diets.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56398&pf=3&page=1

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I heard recently about a technique where you only eat for eight hours. Not eight straight hours, of course.  But if your first meal is at 7am then the last food should be by 3pm. I have lost two pounds. I only want to lose 10, and I was never an evening snacker.  So this has worked well for me.
deb

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am actually hypoglycemic so one meal a day would be tough for me. I spread my 500 calories throughout my fasting day, which goes surprisingly far...

8 am: tea with 2 tsp clear fiber: 15 calories
10:30: 1 hard boiled egg: 70
1pm: 1/2 a large potato steamed in the microwave, 1 tsp light margarine and 1 tsp lite sour cream: 150
3pm: tea & a rice log: 45 (from trader joe's, like a rice cake but uses puffed rice & shaped like a like a long and a little sweet)
5pm: 2 polish pickle spears 0 (yes! that is what the label says but maybe as much as 5)
7:30: Fresh juice smoothie I make with kale, 3 or 4 strawberries, 1 pineapple spear, 1/4 cup plain low fat yogurt, fiber, stevia & water: 100
I blend this in my nutri bullet and it is amazingly filling.
10:30: 1 little round cheese & 1 more rice log: 95

Total: 495

I am rarely hungry a bit in the mid day, I drink lots and lots of water and tea...and it is ok.

The interesting thing is on the days you eat normally (and today is just my 2nd "feed" day)I am not as hungry and don't feel like I need to "make up" for the day before. If anything I want to work harder to not undo all the hard work I have done. I read carefully a lot of the reviews of the book on Amazon, a lot of people shared their experience in almost a forum style way.

@Kdawna .. I really encourage you to click on the link in my first post to the documentary, it is free to watch and very helpful!

As far as studies & metabolism, this whole ideal was based on one done in Chicago which they explore in-depth where people alternated ever day, not just twice a week. Which is what I am doing this first week... actually because our week is an odd number, 7, you will naturally alternate from 4 fast/3 feed to 3 fast/4 feed... it is kind of perfect.

I will taper back to 2 & 5 as I need to... I am lucky to have a flexible schedule and work for myself so I can do this... I do think if you have a full time job you may want to plan your fast days for your non working days...

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
If you are hypoglycemic, I'd suggest seeing a dietitian about this before you jump in. There are going to be diets that could really be counterproductive and even harmful, where for others there wouldn't be any issue at all.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Bethany, I did do that, sorry I forgot to mention it. Yes, see a Doc first! Mine (a GP but very savvy about weight loss) was very encouraging and was the one that suggested I break down my fast days into micro meals. Will be checking in with her as I go, to make sure everything is ok.

Besides being overweight (want to lose 60-70 pounds) and hypoglycemic I am very healthy for the most part. My biggest issue are my knees, I use to be a dancer, have very hyperextended joints (which can make you prone to arthritic issues) and am feeling the strain of that now, especially with the extra weight, so she was encouraging of this plan, maybe cause I was so motivated and it is important I make a significant dent as to avoid more major knee issues and surgery.

I just put on my trainers for the first time in a year and am waiting for my ipod to charge... Out of the blue, I just wanted to walk! I have plenty of energy... Today is a non fasting day and I did read you should keep exercise to a minimum on fasting days. Yesterday I just did some stretching and light bar work (I have a ballet bar set up) for about 20 minutes...

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Oh I'm glad to hear it. I've got tumors on my adrenal glands so I can totally understand about keeping in touch with the doctors during this. I'm also on the weightloss program and feel your pain. I'm on the other end of you though. I've actually started a Low Glycemic diet. Did this before with some success but had to stop due to school and moving. I'd like to know how your plan goes. :)

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, one week in and I lost 1 pound. Not really the result I was hoping for but it's something and I don't want to give up. I plan this week to go with the 2-5 rather than alternating every day. Mainly so I can exercise more.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
That's not bad. I think it's going to take a month to really tell how it's working. My husband is a scientific editor and read several things recently talking about how women should worry less about cardio and more on strength training. Apparently long term weight-loss was seen more in those that did weights. Just something to consider. (can you tell I'm also dieting?)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts