Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(In addition, am I in the correct forum?)

Does Amazon really not have a Kindle wish list function?  Or am I just overlooking it?

B/c there are a lot of books I'd love to get, but not right this minute.  And as soon as I surf away from the page, I forget what I was just looking at, so it's months before I get back to  it, at which point I've usually started another book, or am between paydays, or some other thing.

And, yes, part of the problem is that I am a practicing member of the Balicumber religion, so the problem is usually not that I've started a new book, so much as not finished four other ones.

(Per Douglas Adams:  Balicumber:  Any of the six unread books somewhere on your bed.-The Deeper Meaning of Liff.) (Which leads me to a second, but unrelated question:  why is only one of the Hitchhiker's books available?!  And none of the Dirk Gently detective novels?  This is clearly a crime against humanity, as the Kindle so closely resembles the Hitchhiker's Guide of myth and legend.)

~robin

·
Registered
731 Posts
On the Kindle itself you can always download a sample (OK- Only if you have whispernet) or you can select "Save for Later" just under "See all Reviews" on a specific book's page. On Amazon (ordering from the computer) you can still get a sample or "Add to Wish List". I have 2 wish list; one for Kindle and one for DTB. (Dead Tree Books) (<<<Which were all tried, found guilty and executed that we may read ;) )

Any Douglas Adams Fan is certainly in the right place.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I've been sending samples to remind myself of books I want, but not yet (especially since I don't actually HAVE my baby yet).  

Are the Dirk Gently novels good?  I was going to get the latest one, until I noticed it's not available for Kindle. (I quit buying DTB's about a month ago.)  I did hit the "kindle this title" (or whatever it says) button.  Maybe if we ALL do this the publisher will get the hint!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Does Amazon really not have a Kindle wish list function? Or am I just overlooking it?
If you are looking at a book on the Kindle page, and you click the button to show all reviews, a button to put the Kindle version of the book on your wish list will magically appear:

L

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice!  Thanks Leslie!

~robin

·
Registered
433 Posts
Somewhere I was able to put an Amazon button on my taskbar so I could add to my wish list whenever.  Also, you can put in a request for a book to be available for Kindle from the book's page in Amazon.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
If you put a link in the thread where we post books we want to see on Kindle, we can all click on it.  Sorry ... senior moment ... I can't recall the exact name of the thread. 

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Leslie said:
If you are looking at a book on the Kindle page, and you click the button to show all reviews, a button to put the Kindle version of the book on your wish list will magically appear:
Alas, however, that doesn't work if the book in question doesn't have reviews at all and/or hasn't been linked to its dead tree brethren that does have reviews. :'( Or hasn't yet been published and you want to remember it for later (in which case the sample thing doesn't work either).

I usually end up with a combination of the above -- send samples, use a regular wishlist for "not on Kindle", use a separate regular wishlist of "waiting on new" for those not yet published or where I'm waiting on the next in a series to come out. I've never tried the Kindle's "save for later" as I rarely browse on it, it's easier for me to browse on the computer and I usually only use the Kindle store for really quick browsing for specific searching or buying from a sample.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here is a link to Amazon that takes you step by step in putting a wish list button on your browser toolbar. I have it and it works great. When you are on a Amazon page you can pull it up and review what you have or edit it.

http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/get-button

B

·
0 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
(In addition, am I in the correct forum?)

Does Amazon really not have a Kindle wish list function? Or am I just overlooking it?

B/c there are a lot of books I'd love to get, but not right this minute. And as soon as I surf away from the page, I forget what I was just looking at, so it's months before I get back to it, at which point I've usually started another book, or am between paydays, or some other thing.

And, yes, part of the problem is that I am a practicing member of the Balicumber religion, so the problem is usually not that I've started a new book, so much as not finished four other ones.

(Per Douglas Adams: Balicumber: Any of the six unread books somewhere on your bed.-The Deeper Meaning of Liff.) (Which leads me to a second, but unrelated question: why is only one of the Hitchhiker's books available?! And none of the Dirk Gently detective novels? This is clearly a crime against humanity, as the Kindle so closely resembles the Hitchhiker's Guide of myth and legend.)

~robin
DON'T PANIC, my hoopy frood! Remember where your towel is. Do you really think the rest of Adams's books aren't going to be kindlized? ::) His books belong on Kindle in exactly the way Vogon poetry doesn't.

But remember, the poor man is dead and his estate and copyrights are being very carefully managed by his widow. Allegedly, she's been in negotiations with some chump who wants to write another H2G2 book. (Which makes no sense, as the whole series was wrapped up with absolutely no possibility of continuation at the end of Mostly Harmless) I'm sure that once that's out of the way, Widow Adams will remember that her Dearly Departed would have wanted and celebrated his books on Kindle. After all, he made sure that the H2G2 series was in every other possible medium. ;)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Do you think this is a precursor to people being able to gift us books directly to our Kindles? I sure hope so! It's insane that we still don't have that feature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts