Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Agreed,

I'm probably going the catch heck for this, but it was the Nook Color that turned me away from Barnes and Noble. It's like the coloring-book of readers. Too much "fluff," too much distraction.

To me, an ereader is for reading, not for Pandora, Angry Birds, etc, and like you said, there are enough tablets on the market, don't have a tablet and call it an ereader just because it has a book reading app. I don't call my desktop an ereader, I'm sure not many people do either.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
NightGoat said:
Agreed,

I'm probably going the catch heck for this, but it was the Nook Color that turned me away from Barnes and Noble. It's like the coloring-book of readers. Too much "fluff," too much distraction.

To me, an ereader is for reading, not for Pandora, Angry Birds, etc, and like you said, there are enough tablets on the market, don't have a tablet and call it an ereader just because it has a book reading app. I don't call my desktop an ereader, I'm sure not many people do either.
They may not market it as an ereader though. Most tablets aren't.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
Jeff Bezos has been pretty clear that Amazon plans to continue to support the Kindle in something resembling it's current configuration: reflective, easy to read screen vs. backlit and multi-tasking. He is a gadget guy, of course, but he's also a voracious reader, so he's really really interested in retaining the 'like a book/device disappears' dynamic.

So, if they do have a tablet in development -- Bezos has only said "stay tuned" but I believe they are working on something -- it will be aimed at a whole new set of customers. Why wouldn't Amazon figure they can sell their own hardware to compete with the iPad in case Apple starts to play hardball about the kind of Apps they allow on the thing.

AND. . . .there are a lot of folks who have said they'll never get rid of their Kindle, but would seriously consider a tablet device especially/primarily/only because it's offered by Amazon. . . again, they're smart to listen to those customers.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
kindlegrl81 said:
As long as they continue to make the eink kindles I don't care if they add a tablet to their lineup. B&N seems to have abandoned the eink reader in favor of their NC so if Amazon were to do that I would be extremely disappointed and upset.
Well, except for the fact that a "big announcement" is supposed to be coming on May 24, and rumor is that it's about "Nook 2", which might be a touch-screen eInk device. We'll know more about what that is on Tuesday, but that's the most recent rumor I've seen. http://news.cnet.com/new-nook-to-mimic-sonys-e-ink-touch-screen/8301-17938_105-20063524-1.html "Fission LLC, the front company Barnes & Noble uses for filing trademarks, recently registered the phrase "The Simple Touch Reader". You can read what you want into that, but we take it as a strong indication that the upcoming Nook, which will be announced on May 24, will be an affordable monochrome e-ink touch-screen model that operates similarly to Sony's Readers (and has the E-Ink Pearl screen found in the Sony Readers and Kindle)."

As far as Amazon's alleged tablet is concerned, I've got no problem with that as long as they keep supporting and improving the eInk Kindle. I have no particular interest in it myself, but if they can come up with a good quality tablet, more power to them - especially if they can come out with a color one that isn't backlit - that would give their tablet a whole different appeal from all the LCD ones, especially for reading applications. I love my iPad, and it's particularly awesome for reading magazines - but I also love the size of the nookColor & wish there were an iPad that size.

There are a lot of tablets out there, and even a few that are actually decent. I've got no problems with another quality tablet on the market - competition is good. So as long as Amazon's tablet is a quality product, have at it.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
teddyb said:
That doesn't think Amazon should come out with a tablet? The last thing this world needs is another tablet.
The Kindle line isn't going anywhere, Jeff Bezos has been very clear that they'll keep making dedicated reading devices.

So there's really no reason to be opposed to them coming out with a tablet. The tablet market is very new, and the more competition the better. More options for those of us who do like tablets, and hopefully some will start coming out that actually pressure Apple to improve the iPad and reconsider some of their restrictive policies etc.

That said, I don't have all that high of hopes for the Amazon tablets. The Kindle designs weren't great up until the K3, and honestly I prefer even some of the older Sony Readers in terms of design aesthetics and build quality to even the K3. So unless Amazon has partnered with some major electronics company to make their tablets, I don't have high hopes that they'll match or beat the design quality of the iPad 2.

Maybe if they surprise people and get an Mirasol screen in it or something. I'd love a tablet with a e-ink like mode and an LCD mode if it could do both well (and not suck like the Notion Ink Adam) as I really don't read enough to truly need a dedicated reading device (I just own it for the e-ink screen). But I'll own one until such a dual mode tablet that suits my needs comes out as I prefer reading on e-ink. But ideally I'll eventually have a device that can do all my iPad 2 does (and more) and have a nice e-ink like mode for reading so I don't need to own two gadgets to do those tasks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
An Amazon tablet would need to be e-ink on e-paper, or they shouldn't bother. Any hint of a backlit computer-like screen, and it's not an ereader. I love my iPad, but it's not an ereader - it's a tablet-form handheld computer. We don't need one of them from Amazon.

I'm not sure if the technology is there yet for a colour e-ink display comparable to the swishness of the Kindle, so I for one also hope that Amazon don't jump into the iPad's backyard simply because they feel strategically obliged to.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
John Quixote said:
An Amazon tablet would need to be e-ink on e-paper, or they shouldn't bother. Any hint of a backlit computer-like screen, and it's not an ereader. I love my iPad, but it's not an ereader - it's a tablet-form handheld computer. We don't need one of them from Amazon.
But what's wrong with having one from Amazon? The more competition the better. I have an iPad 2, but I really want to move on to something else as I don't like Apples policies and it doesn't fit a lot of my needs.

Problem is, there's nothing else better out right now. So again, the more tablets coming out the better as it improves the odds of something coming out that better suits my needs than the iPad. Though I don't think anything will fit that bill until Microsoft finishes their Tablet OS next year as my needs are more along the lines of wanting something closer to a tablet PC than a smartphone with a big screen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mooshie78 said:
But what's wrong with having one from Amazon? The more competition the better. I have an iPad 2, but I really want to move on to something else as I don't like Apples policies and it doesn't fit a lot of my needs.
If we're talking about reading, the iPad and similar devices are poor substitutes for a dedicated ereader device. I read a novel on my iPad soon after getting it, and had a headache for two days. Tablet computers are not good for reading, whatever the publicity says.

Fast forward 10 years and I bet we've got all-in-one devices that switch between looking like books/magazines and computers, but here and now it seems we have to have one or the other.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
John Quixote said:
If we're talking about reading, the iPad and similar devices are poor substitutes for a dedicated ereader device. I read a novel on my iPad soon after getting it, and had a headache for two days. Tablet computers are not good for reading, whatever the publicity says.
I don't think anyone is arguing that they are. Sure, there are some who prefer them, but, especially among members here at KindleBoards, most people prefer the Kindle for long form reading. That doesn't mean that one might still like to have a tablet device for other things where, say, a phone screen is too small or a laptop is too unweildy. I, for one, like the newspaper on my XOOM via the Kindle app. . . the layout and pictures are better, though it worked just fine on the Kindle.
Fast forward 10 years and I bet we've got all-in-one devices that switch between looking like books/magazines and computers, but here and now it seems we have to have one or the other.
Maybe. . . .and that's o.k. too. Though I would argue that dedicated devices will still exist. . .though possibly only used by 'power' users and not your average guy/gal on the street. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I expect that if Amazon does announce a tablet, then they will not go with a typical backlit display like the iPad. I have an iPad, and while I love the device for other uses, it is really bad as an e-reader due to the screen being backlit and so bright (even with the brightness turned way down it isn't a good reading experience).

Amazon may very well use a technology like the Qualcomm mirasol diplays, which will be the best of both worlds. Color, full motion video, but not backlit and still very low power consumption. These are really amazing screens, and for things like magazines, etc. it would be perfect.

If you haven't seen them yet take a look at these videos:
http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/benefits/technology
http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/demo

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
John Quixote said:
I can read on my iPad with no problems other than my eyes getting tired a little faster. So your experience is not universal, everyone's eyes are different, not everyone reads hours and hours on end every day like a lot of people on here and so on. So some people can read with no issues on Tablets. Others can barely read on them at all.

All that said, I still prefer to read on my Kindle and that's why I still have it despite having an iPad that gets a ton more use overall than my Kindle (which rarely leaves the nightstand).

But anyway, Bezos has said repeatedly (and it's been posted by me and others above) that Amazon will be keeping a dedicated, e-ink reader line regardless of what they do with tablets. Any tablet will not be a replacement to the Kindle, but just an Amazon entry into the Tablet market and paired with their existing Amazon Android store and so on.

Yep, though I think it will be faster than 10 years since pixel qi and mirasol etc. are already out there and just need refinement. As I said, that type of device would be ideal for me as I feel a bit silly having Kindle and a tablet when I read around 20-25 books a year at most. But, while I can and do read books on my iPad (Overdrive library books mainly), it does tire my eyes just enough that I'm not willing to ditch my Kindle and do all my reading on the iPad.

Ann in Arlington said:
That doesn't mean that one might still like to have a tablet device for other things where, say, a phone screen is too small or a laptop is too unweildy. I, for one, like the newspaper on my XOOM via the Kindle app. . . the layout and pictures are better, though it worked just fine on the Kindle.
Agreed. The iPad and other is great for short form reading like news apps, magazines, comics etc. I also like it for PDFs as I need to be able to zoom in and out quickly, flip pages quickly, quickly highlight and jot notes. I can do all that in the Goodreader app on iPad. I couldn't do it on an e-ink device as the displays are still too slow and clunky for that kind of work IMO.

Ann in Arlington said:
Maybe. . . .and that's o.k. too. Though I would argue that dedicated devices will still exist. . .though possibly only used by 'power' users and not your average guy/gal on the street. :)
Agreed. Tablets will be the mainstream device, especially when the tech is to that point that it can do great HD quality LCD and an e-ink mode that's better contrast than today's e-ink.

But there will probably always be a niche of dedicated reader devices out there that are dirt cheap, or even free with a purchase of a gift card to use on e-books in the attached store etc. That will probably happen soon given how low prices already are.

It's pretty clear that there's a niche of bookworms out there who just want dedicated reader devices that are simple to use and free of distractions. I do wonder how much of that is people in their 30s and up though. The younger set who've grown up with computers, smartphones, tablets etc. may not have much interest in said devices down the road. So I guess I could see the dedicated reader fading away decades down the road. But no point in worrying about the distant future!

·
Registered
355 Posts
mooshie78 said:

Problem is, there's nothing else better out right now. So again, the more tablets coming out the better as it improves the odds of something coming out that better suits my needs than the iPad. Though I don't think anything will fit that bill until Microsoft finishes their Tablet OS next year as my needs are more along the lines of wanting something closer to a tablet PC than a smartphone with a big screen.
I don't care if Amazon brings out a tablet. Hell, if I had the money I'd buy it. But not to replace my Kindle, which is my dedicated e-reader. I would use it for other things (games, apps, etc.). Just think, a tablet from Amazon would be backed by world-class customer service!!!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
teralpar said:
I don't care if Amazon brings out a tablet. Hell, if I had the money I'd buy it. But not to replace my Kindle, which is my dedicated e-reader. I would use it for other things (games, apps, etc.). Just think, a tablet from Amazon would be backed by world-class customer service!!!
Yep. My main concern is if they can get the design decent. As I said, I've never been impressed by the Kindle hardware (other than the screen). The K3 is much better, but it's still far form perfect and feels a bit cheap and flimsy. I always liked the design of the Sony readers a lot more, but the Amazon store had better selection and prices so I went with the Kindle despite not liking the hardware as much. Also for Whispersync, which has really paid off now with all the Kindle apps etc.

But it does leave me wary that they can make a tablet that matches the iPad form factor when no one else has. The other tablets currently out are thicker, heavier and uglier. Also most others have 16x9 wide screens which isn't good for me since I mainly use my tablet in portrait orientation as I mainly use it to read PDFs, news apps etc. and a 16x9 screen is too narrow in portrait orientation for those things.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts