Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you allowed more than one Amazon buyer's accounts?

I opened a .com account almost a decade ago to be able to purchase Region 1 DVDs. A few years later I opened a .co.uk account (my home country) for my general purchasing needs, and never used the US account again. Now it seems that because the accounts were opened with the same e-mail address, Amazon has linked the accounts and now changing the e-mail doesn't unlink them. This means that my US account can view my Kindle and it has never been registered to that account.

I want my .com account separate as I earn gift certificates for it which I would like to spend on Kindle content, but at the moment can't because it recognises my UK kindle as part of the account and tells me to log into .co.uk.

Is their any way to separate the accounts? Are you allowed to have two amazon.com accounts?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I don't know for certain but if you sign up with a different email address, they should be considered separate accounts. Don't just change the email address at one site because it might change it on the other - sign out and register again (on only one site) with a different email.

However, that will not solve the problem of buying Kindle books from the US store. Amazon know you are a resident of the UK and therefore you have to buy from the UK store. Even if you change your settings to say you're in the US, they will know by your IP address that you are not and after a few purchases, they may contact you and ask for proof of residence with a US ID. I have managed to get around this because I'm American and therefore have a US ID which they accepted. But for the vast majority of people, your purchase is limited to your country of residence.

·
6,032 Posts
In addition to what history_lover has explained, you can't use gift certificates earned/bought on a US account for any items purchased on a UK account. So, if your Kindle is registered to your UK account you will not be able to use them for Kindle content, whether the accounts are 'linked' or not.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
history_lover is right about the IP address thing, but there may be a way around it.  You could change your account to indicate a US address, and then use a US-based proxy server whenever you shop at the Amazon US store. Then you would be able to shop just like a US resident.  Note that I'm not suggesting you do this, just saying it is possible.

--Maria

1 - 4 of 4 Posts