Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed up to a $100 worth of advertising with Amazon for SKY CITY Part 1.

Now, I know this may seem daft, but the Part 1 is only 99 cents of which I get 35 cents less tax so, how can I do this and make money. If they borrow it, then obviously I make more. I can keep an eye on that.

Well, if every click turns into a sale, then I will earn probably about 25 cents a book. This is nothing, neither is the $100 budget in book sales terms, but if it generates a return for my $100 then I'm going to be a happy writer. Especially as Part 2 is two third's done and I'm incline to release it as soon as it's finished.

I am also able to measure my sales results so expect the effects to be visible in a short time. I will let you know how it goes when the $100 is spent.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ArchangelEST said:
Keep us posted!

I've heard people having the ads running for months without paying almost a single dollar because the click through rate is so abysmal.
If it goes that slow I will pull it. I can spend $100 anywhere - even Facebook can do better than that.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I had no luck with it even though I tried fiddling with it in every possible way. Ended up terminating the campaign after spending $50.

Pity though, because it seems like such a good idea and should work. Hopefully, Amazon have it as a work in progress and will eventually figure out how to make it work.

Philip

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I'm not risking money if it doesn't work (well not much, really) I even have to wait up to 3 days before they approve the advert - that is frankly appalling.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Last time I checked I'd got 18,500 impressions, no sales, 15 clicks, and had spent $0.54. After six weeks.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And as I only end up paying for the actual clicks, it turns out that there was next to nothing ventured.

The campaign is due to finish on 29 March, so some time for it to perk up a bit, but I've pretty much written it off. I'm glad I tried though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
TobiasRoote said:
Yes, I'm not risking money if it doesn't work (well not much, really) I even have to wait up to 3 days before they approve the advert - that is frankly appalling.
Mine were both approved in a few hours. I think their long quote is just a CYA measure.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Where does the average customer see these ads?  I went looking for them and don't even see where they are...

·
Registered
262 Posts
MyraScott said:
Where does the average customer see these ads? I went looking for them and don't even see where they are...
Make sure Adblock is off. Because they are everywhere. Under the purchasing options, down by the reviews, sometimes even down at the bottom and under the pricing information.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I've run about six or seven campaigns.  Very low bid.  Low number of impressions on each.  No clicks so no sales.  I'm happy to let them keep running because those little impressions are free and may someday lead to a sale when I have a new release or something.

Decided to comment on this thread because I was shown the ad for one of my books on a completely different website from Amazon.  It was crazy.  It was the banner ad and the ad on the side and...I couldn't get away from it.  I was annoyed by my own book.  I think I'd just looked at the book's page that day because that seems to be how the ads on that particular website work.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I ran this for a while and kept increasing my CPC until I was getting a good amount of impressions. In the end though, I ended up spending about $16 for one sale ($3.99) so it wasn't really adding up!

However, instead of cancelling it, I've reduced the CPC, as I like the exposure.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I put up an ad in late January. I targeted about 130 books in my niche. Unfortunately, I went full noob on planning and tracking, so my numbers are all over the place. I started out with the recommended .06 bid, but barely registered impressions. Then I bumped it up to .75 bid and got tons of impressions. I held it there way too long before backing it down to .30 and getting about 1,000 or so impressions a day. Here are my current numbers since January 29:

Impressions: 88,069
Clicks: 166
Click-Through-Rate: 0.1885%
Spent: $75.89 (!!!)
Average Cost Per Click: 0.46
Units Sold: 7
Total Sales: $18.93

Lesson learned: Start too high and you'll pay the price. You'll get some clicks, but not necessarily the ROI.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I sold one book ($3.99) for a dollar-five spend - 3 clicks - and about 6000 impressions (actually a lot more, cos the counters keep resetting, and I lost track)

It might be small change, but that represents 100% (!!!) of my novel sales in 2015. I'd leave that kind of advertising running 24/7/365.

BTW, Tobias, I picked up your freebie the other day (UK store) cos someone recommended it to me (although it got bumped from 'read next' for a Pratchett reread, sorry).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tim_A said:
BTW, Tobias, I picked up your freebie the other day (UK store) cos someone recommended it to me (although it got bumped from 'read next' for a Pratchett reread, sorry).
I'm honoured it was recommended, and I don't mind at all coming behind Sir Pratchett. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had two campaigns running since the start. Bid price ranging from 5c to 50c. They feature the same book, one ad aimed at genre titles and the other at genre video. Video has 6.5k impressions, no clicks, no sales. Genre titles has 4.4k impressions, 1 click (50c) and no sales. I have the feeling those impressions are doing no harm to book sales - putting the title in front of the customer even if they don't click it, familiarity etc. So probably will just keep them running. The advertised book had a BookBub freebie at end of December so idea is to keep it out there somehow, maybe extend the long tail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts