Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hear about a new book that I want to read. (The Man Who Owns the News). It will not be out for a week or two, but they are taking pre-orders for the paper version. However, I will no longer buy any paper books. If Amazon doesn't get the ebook version, I am screwed. I see nothing indicating that it will be out in Kindle form. Also, so many of my favorite old Sci Fi books are still not out in ebook form. I have requested them for the Kindle (sometimes dozens of times per book - I try to create a large demand by the masses). I refuse to buy a paper book anymore. I am a very sick puppy, but I don't want to read anything in the old clunky form. I may need psychiatric help soon.

Steve

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
stevene9 said:
I have requested them for the Kindle (sometimes dozens of times per book - I try to create a large demand by the masses).
Your dozens of clicks may resonate in the halls of Amazon, but the decision to publish on Kindle is in the hands of the publishers and/or the authors. Most have web sites with contact forms.

You might also want to do an in-depth search for the titles that interest you. Amazon's housekeeping leaves something to be desired. Many paper versions on Amazon don't show that they're also available on Kindle and display the button erroneously.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
LOL! We feel your pain, Steve!

Have you checked out Baen books www.baen.com? And also some of the other free book websites (See Useful Sites for Book Lovers in the Book Corner.

Also, keep klicking those books you want. Members have found several on their "Wish It Were Kindled" list to be on Kindle when they checked again, always a happy announcement! As Jeff writes, ultimately, it's in the hands of the publisher. At the same time, Amazon must be working with these publishers, and knowing which books are most desirable to readers should give both parties incentive to come to terms. I'd click and contact. Click and contact....click and contact...

Betsy

·
Registered
679 Posts
I am clicking and contacting A LOT... also, remember to contact the authors too (some authors still, due to their contracts, have the digital rights to their books - Goodkind is one who retained them when he got his print publishing contract)

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Jeff said:
You might also want to do an in-depth search for the titles that interest you. Amazon's housekeeping leaves something to be desired. Many paper versions on Amazon don't show that they're also available on Kindle and display the button erroneously.
Really? I usually look in non-Kindle Amazon for books for Sundog. Guess I better just head on over to the Kindle Store.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Amazon.com is getting more books every day. I remember that when I first looked into getting Saint-Germain, Amazon boasted only about 80,000 fiction books, but the last time I checked they had 86,604. That's a pretty big jump, and they're adding more everyday.

Patience is a virtue in the e-book format. Like with mp3's, or digital movie downloads, it's a new medium and it's going to take some time for everybody to jump in. Keep clicking though, it helps for publishers to see how much interest there is in publishing on the Kindle.

·
Registered
731 Posts
stevene9 said:
If Amazon doesn't get the ebook version, I am screwed. I see nothing indicating that it will be out in Kindle form.

Steve
I have the DT version of Ender in Exile on my shelf because Amazon did not show a Kindle edition as being available. The same day it was released; so was the Kindle edition. Many others reported the same "There's no pre-order for Kindle" about JD Robb's newest and it was released the same day also. There is hope.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You might also wish to contact the publisher directly. Might get a better response that way.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If the author of the book you desire already has some books on Kindle, it is possible for the book to pop up available on Kindle on the release day without any other indication that it will.  I've seen it happen a couple of times.  Kept clicking the I want it on Kindle button still no indication that it would be. Then the day it was released for sale it came up on the Amazon site "coming to kindle" with that days date, and sure enough later in the day- there it was.  So don't lose hope it could still happen.

rla1996

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Amazon does not need any more books.  I can't read all the ones they have now.  But then some of you are a couple years younger than me and have more time on the kindlerama horizon.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Dori said:
Amazon does not need any more books.
Wow. I would sure disagree with that. For all the 205,000 or so books listed for the Kindle, the number I am interested in reading is pretty low, comparatively. I think I already have all the ones from them that I want to read. I want them to get more in the older but still-in-copyright mystery and SF field.

Mike

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
jmiked said:
Wow. I would sure disagree with that. For all the 205,000 or so books listed for the Kindle, the number I am interested in reading is pretty low, comparatively. I think I already have all the ones from them that I want to read. I want them to get more in the older but still-in-copyright mystery and SF field.

Mike
I think the publishers need to pay more attention to all the clicking we're doing. That's where the bottleneck is.

·
Registered
788 Posts
As of my post yesterday, Amazon.com now has 86,841 books in fiction.

So more are being added daily, as you can see!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Can someone explain to me (in simple terms cause I'm a blonde  :eek:  ) why it would not be a no win situation for the publisher to produce it in an electronic version?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I think Amazon has plenty of books... more than any one person could read, but they don't have all the ones I want to read! I just wish when I clicked on the request button for a kindle version that it would tell me I will have my book in X days!! I have noticed that my favorite authors who have their newer works on Kindle, that one by one the older works are showing up!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
KCFoggin said:
Can someone explain to me (in simple terms cause I'm a blonde :eek: ) why it would not be a no win situation for the publisher to produce it in an electronic version?
I don't think publishers are against it at all. Some will be slower than others to catch up, still clinging to an older business model (it took a while for the music publishers to convert to digital, too). Older books will take longer to show up since they don't have the immediate sales power of new books. Some authors won't allow their books to be published as e-books, their personal preference.

PC Magazine just gave up printing, they are web only now. The NY Times is in terrible financial trouble, and rumor has it they may stop printing as well.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
None of the books I have clicked on have shown up in Kindle.  Haven't gotten any e-mails from Random House in response to my author alerts.  I'm so sad.  :'( 

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Personally, I don't know why publishers haven't grasped the idea that they can take a (very) few hours per book, convert all their back-catalog books, and make some extra money.  They can have pretty low-level people proof the stuff.  I think anything 10 years or so old is going to be in some electronic form already, and just need converting, and a bit of tweaking.  Older stuff probably has to be scanned.  But, there are TONS of older books that I already own that I would like to have in electronic form.

There was an article in my local paper a few days ago about book publishers having trouble making enough revenue.  Since their unit cost is practically nothing (say 100-200 dollars, depending on difficulty, to convert to digital), even at $5.00 per book, it is easy money.  No printing, no shipping, no warehouse, no middleman.

Just think of all the mystery and science fiction series (and probably romance and gothic) with lots of older books that they could re-issue for practically nothing!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's a ground-floor opportunity for someone with the time, ambition, connections and resources to get it started.  An e-book conversion service.  The bottleneck may not be only in permissions and licenses but in production capacity.  Most books are probably already in some kind of electronic format.  They only have to be coded for the various e-book formats. 

Meanwhile, all we can do is bug the publishers and authors.  Amazon's catalog keeps growing, but I think they may be struggling to maintain priorities between getting all the new releases done vs the older books.  I hate seeing only the latest of a series in e-book format even when I've read them already.  I guess just like half of my house has become book storage, I'm just more comfortable having the complete set.

This goes back to what someone else said about the authors retaining digital rights to (especially) their earlier works.  While a publisher may have the rights to current releases, digital rights to earlier works may not be in the publisher's hands. 

I sent a request to one author (can't remember who, but a well-known sci-fi author) and the response I got indicated that I wasn't the first to request e-books.  It was like, yes, yes, we know - we're working on it.  BUT, the author's publisher is British and I was told that his books may only become available from the Amazon UK site.  Whatever licensing restrictions prevent Amazon from allowing digital purchases to non-U.S. credit card holders will probably be reflected at Amazon UK vis-a-vis the U.S.

Looks like the publishing industry will be the next industry to struggle through a globalization process. 

1 - 20 of 25 Posts