Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Monday, all ya'all.  :)

"All ya'all" is actually a fairly common phrase when addressing a group of people in the more "rustic" parts of Florida. FYI.

Anyway, I decided to enter my novel into the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award. My problem is the genre category. Classifying my work into a genre is something I've struggled with a lot.

My novel features elements of historical fiction, mystery, magical realism (which some might call Fantasy), suspense, adventure and even a smattering of confusing words and fancy metaphors that might push it into the realm of literary fiction.  :)

In the Breakthrough Novel contest, these are the available genre categories: General Fiction, Romance, Mystery/Thriller, Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror, and Young Adult Fiction

I'm torn between General Fiction and Mystery/Thriller... General Fiction because my novel covers different genres, or Mystery/Thriller because the plot moves at the pace of a thriller and features a mystery running through the storyline.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well, as an outside observer who has both read and reviewed your book, I'd suggest going with mystery/thriller.

Good luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
My first thought, from the description you gave, was Mystery/Thriller.  Can't say why, it's just one of those things that fall into the 'you know it when you see it category'.

Although, since I entered in the General Fiction category, I do have some self-interest in trying to steer all other competitors into other genres, leaving General Fiction all to myself.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Satchya said:
Well, as an outside observer who has both read and reviewed your book, I'd suggest going with mystery/thriller.

Good luck!
Thanks, Satchya! I didn't know you read and reviewed the book. Now I will have to try and figure out which review is yours. Given that they've all been pretty good reviews so far, thank you! Unless of course you're that UK reviewer. :)

Thanks for the genre suggestion. This morning I had it listed in the contest under Mystery/Thriller, and then I changed it to General Fiction, and then I changed it back to Mystery/Thriller. I'm happy I can change it until the contest fills up!

JLH3 said:
My first thought, from the description you gave, was Mystery/Thriller. Can't say why, it's just one of those things that fall into the 'you know it when you see it category'.

Although, since I entered in the General Fiction category, I do have some self-interest in trying to steer all other competitors into other genres, leaving General Fiction all to myself.
Don't worry, you're safe for now! :) I think I'll keep it at Mystery/Thriller. I guess my only issue with that genre is it seems to usually make people think of detective stories and novels with a cop or federal agent as the main character. Nothing wrong with novels like that, of course; it's just that mine isn't one of those. But I guess it's a fairly broad genre and maybe mine will stand out a little since it's different.

Whoever entered, I wish you all the best of luck. It would be awesome if someone from this forum wins it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts