1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If ya can't beat em, buy em.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Well now that they own the code that allows you to flip pages by tapping OR swiping, maybe it'll make it into the next version of the Kindle app.  That's my primary complaint about the current one.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, its a very smart move.  They now have the potential to update the iPhone Kindle app to read more than one format.  Combine that with a software update to the Kindle and you've got a device that is significantly more powerful adding more incentive to purchase.  Stanza not only has an iPhone component, they have a pc/Mac component.  So now you could go from pc to iPhone to Kindle and back?  Very nice. 
(Runs off to blog about this)

·
Registered
460 Posts
This moves make smart business sense for them, that's why they did it. It removes a competitor, and allows them a greater range of technology.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I hope they aren't going to remove the ability to Kindle-ize non-Kindle documents. That would seriously irritate me. Good thing I already have a version downloaded that will do it.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
akjak said:
I hope they aren't going to remove the ability to Kindle-ize non-Kindle documents.
I was a Stanza user until I started using Calibre. I prefer its interface, and it's excellent for cataloging e-books on your computer.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that this could be a good thing.  Depends on Amazon

Re-posted from my site:
---------------------------------------
Stanza, developed by Lexcycle, is an application that works similar to the Kindle App for the iPhone/iTouch, but with a tie-in to your PC/Mac instead of the Kindle.  You can browse and buy books, read them and keep your place in the book when switching from reading on your pc to your iPhone or iTouch.  Purchases can be made from a variety of online locations and they offer limited DRM support as well.  There is also some content management in that you can edit metadata, change cover image, etc. This purchase by Amazon really offers some great potential for Kindle users.

What brings me hope are a few key factors in Stanza

It allows reading of additional file formats not currently available on the Kindle (eReader, ePub, etc).
It allows book purchases from some of the larger online retailers Books on Board and Fictionwise.  (Fictionwise now = Barnes & Noble)
Stanza supports DRM on the eReader format
Stanza can synchronize your location in the book when switching from your mobile device to your PC/Mac and back
Where I see Kindle potential.  (Cause its all about Kindle world domination, right?) :-D

Immediate benefit - In the short term, Amazon could open up compatible Stanza books to be synched to the Kindle and available via Personal Docs (.mobi, .prc, .txt, etc) .  This is a current gaping hole in the Kindle for IPhone app as the only books you can download to your device are Amazon purchases; iPhone/iTouch users should be able to request the delivery of Personal Docs.  I wouldn’t recommend automatic delivery since you could run into an issue of file size, but just like we can request delivery of anything in our Archives, we should be able to specify delivery to the iPhone.

Future benefits - Following the availability of compatible formats, Amazon should open up the Kindle to the other formats that are available for reading in Stanza.  I realize that despite the feelings of users, Amazon will probably implement some serious controls on this, after all, they have an interest in selling books from their site, not for B&N (Fictionwise).  I hope that Amazon realizes that if Stanza is used with the Kindle, it will generate more sales in general for both the device and books; they shouldn’t get bogged down in getting overly concerned about specific sales generation points.  And if they open up Stanza to MobiPocket purchases, it’s another win for them.  Unfortunately, they have stopped offering their associates commission for Kindle books, so they have lost a chunk of external Kindle book promotion.

Should Amazon fully integrate the Kindle with Stanza, we could see the merging of the Kindle iPhone app with the Stanza app.  That would allow book purchases from a variety of sources and permit synchronizaiton between computers, Iphone/iTouch and the Kindle.  My theory is that its not what you read, its where you can read.

I’m trying to squash my pessimistic thoughts that Amazon purchased Stanza to kill the compitition and will let this app die a slow death.  After all, I’m an optimist, I’m still convinced we’ll get real content management for the Kindle–hope springs eternal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts