Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE90N0T020130124?irpc=932

Amazon has purchased outright a company that provides a lot of the text to speech technology they already use. Since the PW doesn't have text to speech, I thought perhaps Amazon was abandoning that technology, but this suggests they are still interested. Of course their focus may be on using this for handicapped access.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Yeah, but they bought Stanza, arguably the most sophisticated ereader program around, and nothing ever came from it except for them abandoning it.  :mad:

Yeah, I'm still sore about it.

Mike

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jmiked said:
Yeah, I'm still sore about it.
"But I'm not bitter!" he said through his grinding teeth....

:-D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
904 Posts
Buy up the rights, leave them on the cutting room floor.  Brilliant.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I would be really surprised if Amazon did a 180 from where they are now and put TTS back in their future Eink readers when they can put it in the tablet line hoping consumers will boy and upgrade both devices on a yearly basis.  By the way, does anyone know if the Fire HD 7" tablet's firmware has been updated to includes the new blindness and low vision features they stated are in the Fire HD 8.9" tablet?  I went into Best Buy to look at the Fire HD 8.9" tablet and Amazon has locked up their demo units through the parental controls so that the new blind/low vision features can't be turned on.
Gene 

·
Super Moderator
67,396 Posts
I don't know. . . . I think it's fairly certain that Amazon will continue to support/improve dedicated readers.  Whether or not they include TtS would, I'd guess, depend on how much demand for it they perceive from those customers.  But I don't think there's been a great hue and cry at the omission on the PW.  Still, there are folks who buy the Keyboard model at least partly for that reason.  So I can see them always having a model that has it, even if it's not the 'flagship' or cheapest version.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I might very well get a Paperwhite if it had TTS. But I'm guessing that they didn't sell a lot of audio books for the Kindle, the audio player on the K3 was terrible. You could only move forward of back in units of 30 seconds and it didn't remember where you left off. I've been using TTS quite a lot, in fact I often play it at full speed, it seems unintelligible at first, but I got used to it. It actually seems like it slows down, but that's an illusion, the brain is just processing it better.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
QuantumIguana said:
I might very well get a Paperwhite if it had TTS. But I'm guessing that they didn't sell a lot of audio books for the Kindle, the audio player on the K3 was terrible. You could only move forward of back in units of 30 seconds and it didn't remember where you left off. I've been using TTS quite a lot, in fact I often play it at full speed, it seems unintelligible at first, but I got used to it. It actually seems like it slows down, but that's an illusion, the brain is just processing it better.
Hmmmm... I'm pretty sure my Kindle Touch, which I don't have with me here, remembered my place. But I only ever listened to one audiobook on it. And now, with Whispersync for audio, I think it's even more likely that it will remember where you stopped.

The Kindle Fires are totally different of course.

Betsy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts