Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
You might need to contact Amazon CS.  There is a chat option...

Sorry I don't know more.  Perhaps one of our international members will have more info...

Betsy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Daniel Fearon said:
Unfortunately, normally Amazon gift cards can only be used on the same Amazon site they were purchased from. Hopefully Amazon support will be able to help you in some way, but if not, let me know and I'll send you some info on possible alternate solutions.
Well Amazon.com were no use what so ever, so any further help would be greatly appreciated.

HW

·
Super Moderator
67,394 Posts
Well, you can have accounts at both stores.  I do, for example.

Maybe ask the person who gave it to you if they'd send one for the other store instead.

Or find someone else to take it in the wrong currency and send you one in the equivalent correct currency.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some potential options:

1. As Ann indicates, if you haven't redeemed the gift card yet, you may be able to trade or sell it. You might also know someone personally who'd be interested (e.g. whoever sent it to you in the first place?). If not, google "sell gift cards" or "exchange gift cards" and you'll find a number of sites dedicated to this. Or just try eBay.
2. If you've already redeemed the card, you could use the credit to buy a new Amazon.com gift card then go to Option 1.
3. You could just buy something from Amazon.com, though shipping will probably be expensive to the UK. There may be some electronic-delivery items available internationally.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Pretty sure I once redeemed a .com gift card on .co.uk .... was a few years ago though, maybe they changed it?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sorry, but I don't think there's any way to transfer it.

I had the same thing a while ago, as a result of the survey that a graduate posted on here.

For completing the survey, you got a free Stephen King short story. If you were outside the US, you got a $2.99 gift voucher.

I asked Amazon but they said it couldn't be transferred.

It's still sitting there - I've just checked. I never worked out anything to do with it. [Anybody know of a way of giving it to charity?]

For the amount you have, $20, it could be worth buying something and paying the international delivery. I think that's the only option available to you.

·
Super Moderator
67,394 Posts
So, morf, have you redeemed it?  Only, you could give the code to someone (like me ::)) and that person could go to their account on the UK site and send you a UK GC for a couple of pounds.  I think.  I admit I've not tried to buy anything but physical stuff through the UK site. . . . . .

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Unfortunately, yes I have redeemed it, I didn't realise it would be so difficult to spend, so my account on Amazon.com has $2.99 of gift certificate balance on it.

I can't buy US Kindle books, and the international delivery charge is more than $2.99!

Anybody who works out a way of spending it (without me breaking Amazon's T&C by pretending to have a US address) can have it!

·
Super Moderator
67,394 Posts
I think I'd ask Amazon again . . . . though they are sort of two separate entities, .com and .co.uk I mean.  Hmmm. :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
While you can't buy gift cards with it, you may still be able to gift items (e.g. Kindle books) from people's wish lists directly.

You could certainly buy something and have it shipped to a friend in the US, if that helps.

It'd be a bit of trouble to go to, but you could probably technically sell an item with low depreciation (like Microsoft Points/Nintendo Points/PSN Store card/World of Warcraft subscription card or something) to someone in the US via eBay, then have it drop-shipped to them as an Amazon gift.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Daniel Fearon said:
You could gift something from a Child's Play wish list to a children's hospital, e.g.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A19Q9GPY7LZNAK
An excellent idea Daniel, well spotted and many thanks! ;D

I found an item for $2.98 (Latin Percussion plastic egg shaker), so I've sent them that and effectively spent my gift certificate.

Well, I've got $0.01 left. I'll leave that there, it can pay for my meal at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe! ;D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for everyone's help, have ended up,getting some things delivered to a family friend in US, who is going to post them on.

HW

1 - 19 of 19 Posts