Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon is probably the best company I've ever dealt with, but I just went through something that wasn't much fun. This morning I ordered a Paperwhite 3G, a cover, and I went ahead and ordered another power adapter since they're $9.99 when ordered with the Kindle and I've had mine since the K1.

Anyway, I put the Kindle and the adapter in my cart, then placed the cover in my cart and checked out. I have Prime and I checked the shipping costs which were free 2-day, $3.99 for Monday and $8.99 for Saturday. I decided to go for Saturday. It calculated my total and showed $8.99 for Saturday delivery and I clicked to submit the order.

Three hours later I get an email saying the Kindle shipped and the others are shipping soon. The invoice showed $8.99 for shipping. This afternoon I get a notice that the other two had shipped and were shipped in one box. Shipping charges were $17.98. I called Amazon and after about 15 minutes the answer was that it didn't matter what my order said when I placed it, or whether or not everything comes in the same box, they charge $8.99 for each item shipped. So, place one order for 10 items shipped in one box and they will charge you $89.99 shipping. That's their policy and that's what I would pay no matter what the order said when I submitted my order. End of call.

I then got an email asking if that solved my problem. I clicked NO and was taken to the website where I gave them all 1 stars and left some negative feedback. It also said that they would like to get another chance to solve the problem and asked if they could call me back. I said Yes and a few seconds later I got another call. The lady was very nice and explained again that that was their policy and I explained again why I thought it was wrong. That's when I got the surprise. She then said that since I was such a good customer that she was going to refund my shipping charges. On all three items.

So, while I don't at all like that I was charged 3 times what the invoice said when I placed the order I do have to say that Amazon is very good at making things right. Refunding all the shipping charges was more than any other company would ever do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad to hear that Amazon resolved the problem.  The rep was probably a supervisor who called you.

I usually get very good service from Amazon, it's just the "Super Saver" shipping that leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Super Moderator
67,557 Posts
I actually knew that about the shipping. . . . .the free two day is what it is but if you pay to upgrade the extra will be applied to every separate box they ship. Mind you, I don't think they ship in 10 boxes just so they can charge you, but some things ship from different warehouses, so. . . . . .

It was good that they refunded the charges for you -- and maybe it'll prompt them to make that policy a little clearer. Though it's not too horribly deeply hidden, I just found it in about 3 clicks:

On Amazon at the right side there's a link that says 'your prime'. When I hover and that expands and I click it I get to a page that says "Amazon Prime members enjoy". At the right on that page, under Help and FAQ is a link to 'shipping benefits'. There's a menu item in the first grouping that says "Shipping upgrades". When you click that the chart clearly says faster service is $x.xx per item.

Still, it probably would help if it gave you a warning when you were actually at the purchase page. Something like "You've chosen 2 day shipping, the charges will be $3.99 per item; do you wish to continue."

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Mind you, I don't think they ship in 10 boxes just so they can charge you, but some things ship from different warehouses, so. . . . . .
I guess what really got me, though, was that they charge you for full shipping for every item in the one box from the same warehouse. They were very clear on that when I called. I argued that they were only handing the carrier one box, so that's all they were being charged for by the carrier, but they charge us, the customer full shipping for each and every item in that box. So you really need to understand that when you order, which I didn't, but do now. :) Anyway, I got another email last night with all the credits applied so I feel much better. Lesson learned.

·
Super Moderator
67,557 Posts
I guess I was under the impression it was by shipping package but the point still stands.  Having read it again myself, it clearly says "per item". 

Not saying I like the policy, and, as mentioned, I think it would be a good idea if there was a reminder pop up when you actually purchase, but it IS the posted policy.

Still, they refunded your charges so that's good. . .and now we know. . .and having shared with the rest of us, now even more people know. :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kindle's here and charging. It's absolutely beautiful. The lighting is even all the way to the bottom. I don't know if they just had some bad batches, or if they've fixed the problems they were having, but this one is perfect.  :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts