Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Page numbers will never happen.

They are simply impractical when text size is variable.  If I'm reading with text size 3 and you're reading with text size 2, my page 100 will be in an entirely different place than your page 100.

But location 100 is the same no matter what text size you use.

You'll really be a lot happier if you just get used to locations.

But apart from that, I agree completely, for me Amazon CS has always been top notch!

· Registered
337 Posts
Lilly said:
I don't know why we cant have both, they have the ability. Anyone that has the Mobipocket Reader software knows when you open a book in the software it has page numbers instead of locations. The Kindle 2 has 3 numbers at the bottom keeping track of your progress (percentage, location, total location); I say Amazon replace the total location number with the page number and those who prefer location will still be satisfy and those who want page numbers will be happy. I see pros and cons for both and I think the reader that implements both will be a step up in the right directions!
I'm sure they could do it, but I don't believe they will. I guess time will tell.

I have no objection to including page numbers, but if they take away one of the numbers that are alreay there I'll be upset! I actually like the details that are now given, I don't really miss page numbers at all.

I suppose the ideal solution would be to give us the option of which set of numbers we want...

· Registered
337 Posts
;D

Come on guys!  Just let go!  It doesn't hurt!

Pages numbers can safely be left behind in your brave new Kindle world!

· Registered
337 Posts
Rhiathame (member 2790) said:
I have found posted on some other boards that it is the word count. I use the location exclusively for finding my place in the full book after purchasing it when I had been trying it out via a sample.
That's about right, a bit of an over-simplification, but not much.

That's why the location is the same no matter what size font you're using.

· Registered
337 Posts
Trekker said:
No, it's not the word count. For example, the page I'm currently reading shows location 3814-21. There are certainly more than 7 words on the page!

I find locations completely useless. I just ignore them. If I need to remember a certain page I'll just bookmark it. If I want to know how much I've read, I'll look at the progress bar or percentage.
I don't think that's what she meant...

At any rate, it was an over simplification. The location refers to a position in the digital file.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.