Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the whole point of being "wide" was to be competitive.  I am not a big seller, but I do like to have control over my business. Kind of the point of self-publishing IMHO.

However, Amazon has decided my book should be $2.99 rather than $3.99.  This isn't the first time it's happened, but I put those two ebooks on sale for a promo before I had time to investigate. 

This time, I priced the book at $3.99 yesterday...and Amazon is listing it at $2.99.  They say they'll pay me the same royalty as $3.99, but that's not the point.  Has anyone successfully had them return the price where it's supposed to be?

And this book is listed at 1,164,097 in paid books right now. Not a big seller!  It did well at FREE for a while in July, but that was for a promo.  I know Amazon says they have final control over "price matching" but this is just frustrating.  I guess I'll email Jeff Bezos, but I wanted to ask you (the forum) about it first.  Thank you!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, I don't think this is anything the store needs to "fix", as it's their right to discount items in their store, as long as you get paid correctly based on the price you set. Just like a physical store could discount physical books if they wanted, as long as they bought them for the wholesale price set by the publisher.

286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, if it's a sale...does that mean other places will "price match" the sale price at Amazon?  Or is Amazon the only one that does that?

I'm new to being "wide" so still trying to figure this out.  My concern is also readers' response to having books in a series priced differently.  Should I worry about that?  Book 2 and 3 were both priced at $3.99 and Amazon lowered book 2 to $2.99 last time. 

This was much easier in KU...but I need to figure out how to do this wide pricing strategy.  Thank you. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] said:
Okay, if it's a sale...does that mean other places will "price match" the sale price at Amazon? Or is Amazon the only one that does that?

I'm new to being "wide" so still trying to figure this out. My concern is also readers' response to having books in a series priced differently. Should I worry about that? Book 2 and 3 were both priced at $3.99 and Amazon lowered book 2 to $2.99 last time.

This was much easier in KU...but I need to figure out how to do this wide pricing strategy. Thank you. :)
I don't know about the wide question, but I really doubt you need to worry about what readers think. I doubt very many readers pay attention or care. I see tons of series that have books within the series priced differently. And as far as different prices between stores, most people probably don't shop around for e-books enough to notice it, and customers should be used to seeing price differences for the same product depending on the store, anyway. I wouldn't worry about that part.

·
Registered
841 Posts
My concern is also readers' response to having books in a series priced differently. Should I worry about that? Book 2 and 3 were both priced at $3.99 and Amazon lowered book 2 to $2.99 last time.
Usually when Amazon lowers the selling price, the original retail list price is also indicated and struck out. So buyers can clearly see that this is a sale price, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
841 Posts
They say they'll pay me the same royalty as $3.99, but that's not the point.
Where did they say that? If you read the ebook royalty terms, you'll see (emphasis added by me):

"If we sell your digital book at a price below your list price without VAT in order to match price with a third party selling any digital or physical edition of the book, or to match Amazon's price for a physical edition of the book, you will receive 70% of our sale price for each eligible book sold to customers in the 70% territories, less delivery costs, and less any applicable VAT."

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200644210

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
Sleeping Cat Books said:
Where did they say that? If you read the ebook royalty terms, you'll see (emphasis added by me):

"If we sell your digital book at a price below your list price without VAT in order to match price with a third party selling any digital or physical edition of the book, or to match Amazon's price for a physical edition of the book, you will receive 70% of our sale price for each eligible book sold to customers in the 70% territories, less delivery costs, and less any applicable VAT."

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200644210
That's for if they're price-matching. Not if put something on sale just because.

286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sleeping Cat - the Amazon reps have told me that twice on the phone.  When Amazon discounts the book, we're supposed to get paid royalty on the price we set.  Not going to argue the point as I'm hardly an expert...or I wouldn't have put up the post. 

Shawna - Thank you :)

Everyone - My biggest concern was some downward price spiral, where retailers keeps underselling each other and we end up at 99c.  I know, extreme...but it's 2020.  I think I've been in panic mode too long.  :p

·
Registered
169 Posts
Okay, if it's a sale...does that mean other places will "price match" the sale price at Amazon?
Google will price match others have the right to do so but rarely bother, however, having the price lower at Amazon is a violation of your TOS at all of them except Apple

Amazon has a price-match removal glitch, to get your book properly priced after a sale or freebie, you must use the contact use/remove price-match form

you need to include a list of links to prove the book is $3.99 or equivalent in all markets where you're selling the book

they'll fix it, but sometimes i've had to re-send my request up to four times

if Amazon puts your PAPERBACK for sale, they pay you the royalty on the original price, the person you spoke to on the phone was confused i'm sorry to say

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
There is a catch to this. If they reduce your print book to say 2.99 as they did to me in the UK without telling me, it meant that the ebook couldn't be sold at a higher price, so they reduced it to 2.99 including VAT. I can't view amazon UK prices for e-books, but sold a considerable amount in one day after ads on book club sites at what I assumed was the full price, with links to the ebook. I thought I was in the money at 70% of 4.99, but only received 70% of 2.99 after they took out the vat from that price for each sale because Amazon said they had price matched it to the print book. The price of the ebook was below the threshold after taking out vat at the time, but at least they gave me 70% instead of 30%

Note. I'm referring to dollar prices.

Because I didn't know about the sale price of the print book, I didn't get the opportunity to market it, and made no sales of the print book. If I'd have known I could have put links to the print book shouting out the sale price. Anyway it was too late as after exchanging email the price of the print book went back to 13.99 on which I would have had a higher royalty per sale as I would have received full royalty on those sales according to the email.

Maybe I wouldn't have sold as many at 4.99, so I'm not really complaining, but it was a shock to expectations.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
nightwork said:
Amazon has a price-match removal glitch, to get your book properly priced after a sale or freebie, you must use the contact use/remove price-match form

you need to include a list of links to prove the book is $3.99 or equivalent in all markets where you're selling the book

they'll fix it, but sometimes i've had to re-send my request up to four times
I've tried multiple times to get the prices of 2 books corrected without success, even when KDP assured me it would be done. I was unaware of a contact form for this. Do you have a link you could post?

It's so easy to change prices on the other vendors. Just sayin'

·
Registered
169 Posts
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/contact-us

scroll down the left side of the page to click button called Pricing

of the 3 tabs that open up, click Price Matching

now hit Send Us An Email in the center of the screen, this form pops up in the box:

If requesting a price match for multiple books, please include all of them in one email, using the template below.

Select type of request: [Add or Remove Price Match]

1. [ASIN] | [Kindle Store: .COM, UK, DE, etc.] | [Current competitor region link(s)] | [Current competitor price]

2. [ASIN] | [Kindle Store: .COM, UK, DE, etc.] | [Current competitor region link(s)] | [Current competitor price]

3. [ASIN] | [Kindle Store: .COM, UK, DE, etc.] | [Current competitor region link(s)] | [Current competitor price]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.