Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could spit fire right now.  :mad: :'(

My April issue of the Quarterly is going to be late because Amazon has decided that you can't even TALK about Amazon in a fictional sense. If this was a stand alone novel or something of my own I was publishing, I would fight them over this. But because it is the April issue of my journal and a dragged out fight means the issue will be later than it is already going to be, I have to just suck it up and change it.

I uploaded the print files last week and they got rejected for references to Amazon and other retailers. Now I know Createspace will reject files that have links to Amazon or other retailers in the front matter, so I always avoid those. So I replied back to them that there were no Amazon links or links to retailers so I was confused as to what they were talking about.

I just got my reply today. The problem is one of the stories in the issue. In this particular story the protagonist writes ebooks.  And in a line of dialogue while looking at a property he mentions he is "selling pretty well on Amazon." And later on the realtor makes a quip that you can't find the author's books in a Walmart. Apparently, just mentioning Amazon or retailers in fictional dialog is enough to get you flagged. So now I need to make last minute changes and inform the author why I had to change the lines in his story and I'm missing my deadline.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very strange. Melinda Duchamp's Fifty Shades of Alice Through the Looking Glass has this line in it:

"I am an only child,” said Tweedle Dum. “Besides, Amazon.com doesn’t allow incest erotica.”

It's a highlighted line on the book's page.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
this is good to know, because a character in my current WIP takes a job as an editor at Amazon. Guess I'd better change that to some small, obscure press...in Seattle. 

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I had time to fight them over it, I could probably get them to let me leave it in. But since it is the journal I don't have an extra week or two to argue with them over it. As it is, I'm already going to miss the 4/1 deadline over it. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
If I had time to fight them over it, I could probably get them to let me leave it in. But since it is the journal I don't have an extra week or two to argue with them over it. As it is, I'm already going to miss the 4/1 deadline over it. *sigh*
Oh man, Ms. Sith Witch, I'm sorry.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I assume this is a rule in FICTION? Because obviously there are a thousand nonfiction indie-publishing GET RICH NOW books that talk about Amazon on every page.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TexasGirl said:
I assume this is a rule in FICTION? Because obviously there are a thousand nonfiction indie-publishing GET RICH NOW books that talk about Amazon on every page.
I don't think it's a rule at all. I think it's an overzealous dumb-bot coupled with an incompetent customer service rep. :(

This is also regarding print through Createspace, not digital through KDP. CS does have stricter rules about Amazon and retail links and such in print books. But this just makes no sense at all.

Fortunately, it was an easy edit. But it's the point of it took them so long to get me a firm answer on what the problem was that it backed me into a corner.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I love Lightning Source. I could turn Ingram into a secret bio weapons terrorist organization, and they would happily pop out books by the thousands.

Will they be deleting the thousands of books that mention Amazon a hundred or so times in the text and even use it as part of the book's title?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Getting a quick response from Amazon is often times quite frustrating. I'm having problems with one of my covers, in that they keep rejecting it because part of the title is covered (it's Darkened Passages in my sig). It was designed to be exactly as it is, but they only see it as "obscuring the title", even though books have been doing this sort of thing for years. So I don't envy  you your situation.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Not even if you are referring to the South American river, or to a tall, strapping, woman warrior?
Interesting to note that a court rejected Apple's request to trademark the phrase iPad Mini.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi,

They're all weird about this sort of thing. Amazon doesn't seem to care if on the title page of an ebook I have "Kindle Edition". Smashwords insists I have "Smashwords Edition" on it. And CreateSpace absolutely refuses to have "CreateSpace Edition".

Cheers, Greg.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts