Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon came out with earnings tonight -- They don't go into too much detail on segments, but there are a couple interesting figures in here:

"We're now seeing the transition we've been expecting," said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com. "After 5
years, eBooks is a multi-billion dollar category for us and growing fast - up approximately 70% last year. In contrast,
our physical book sales experienced the lowest December growth rate in our 17 years as a book seller, up just 5%.
We're excited and very grateful to our customers for their response to Kindle and our ever expanding ecosystem and
selection."

-Kindle Fire HD continued its run as the #1 best-selling, most gifted, and most wished for product across the millions of items
available on Amazon worldwide

-Amazon announced that 23 KDP authors each sold over 250,000 copies of their books in 2012, and that over
500 KDP Select books have reached the top 100 Kindle best seller lists around the world.

Ebooks up, tablets still selling, and KDP authors getting involved. All good!

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Rich Walls said:
Amazon came out with earnings tonight -- They don't go into too much detail on segments, but there are a couple interesting figures in here:

"We're now seeing the transition we've been expecting," said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com. "After 5
years, eBooks is a multi-billion dollar category for us and growing fast - up approximately 70% last year. In contrast,
our physical book sales experienced the lowest December growth rate in our 17 years as a book seller, up just 5%.
We're excited and very grateful to our customers for their response to Kindle and our ever expanding ecosystem and
selection."

-Kindle Fire HD continued its run as the #1 best-selling, most gifted, and most wished for product across the millions of items
available on Amazon worldwide

-Amazon announced that 23 KDP authors each sold over 250,000 copies of their books in 2012, and that over
500 KDP Select books have reached the top 100 Kindle best seller lists around the world.

Ebooks up, tablets still selling, and KDP authors getting involved. All good!
I'd say that's good news all around. 500 reaching the top 100 is almost unimaginable.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
JRTomlin said:
I'd say that's good news all around. 500 reaching the top 100 is almost unimaginable.
I'm actually surprised at how low that number is. Wow.

Congrats to those twenty-three top selling authors. Holy crumbs, my goodness.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is great, the revolution of ebooks :) Though paperback is a great step thereafter because I know people who refuse to go digital.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
smreine said:
I'm actually surprised at how low that number is. Wow.

Congrats to those twenty-three top selling authors. Holy crumbs, my goodness.
I'm not. It is higher than I would expect although it's not the total number of indie novels that made it since we know of at least a few who had more than one novel. But it takes one heck of a lot of sales to get that high and even most who are selling well don't sell THAT many.

Yeah, those 23 top selling authors did one heck of a lot of selling.

ETA: It amuses me how much I want to have a novel in the Top 100 for at least 5 seconds. :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the 500+ authors reaching the top 100 is mostly an example of how transient the rankings are, but I think you also have to see it as an encouraging sign of how flat the playing field is. We're absolutely up there competing with the major players.

As for the 23 authors that reached 250,000 sales, that's just ridiculous. I'd love to know how many authors broadly sell that number of books in a year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts