Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
amazon expanded distribution to ingramspark - how long did it take you?

i have a lot of books that are in amazon expanded distribution but considering unchecking them and putting them directly on ingramspark.
the problem is that when i unchecked & then tried to submit to ingramspark, it says that the isbn is taken.

so i emailed amazon and they told me it is off their list.
i contacted ingramspark but the problem i haven't gotten a reply back from ingramspark in almost a week!
i have many books so i was wondering if the change is worth it as i am concerned if it will take IS too long to make a transfer process.

has anyone does this...and if so, how long did/how many days it take for Ingramspark to make the change happen?

OR should i just use a new isbn for ingramspark to make this happen faster? problem is i don't want to waste too many isbns for now but i also don't want to wait too long.

Thank you!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gene and anyone else who has had this experience

Actually I have books in both situations.
Amazon isbn
My own isbn

Do you know a solution?
I'm willing to get my own isbn for all the previous amazon isbn books too.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
blueman3 said:
Hi Gene and anyone else who has had this experience

Actually I have books in both situations.
Amazon isbn
My own isbn

Do you know a solution?
I'm willing to get my own isbn for all the previous amazon isbn books too.
OK. I just relaunched all of my print editions. I had to set up the books on IS with the owned ISBNs, then go to Amazon, unpublish the print editions with the Amazon ISBNs, and create a new book listing for each new edition on the KDP dashboard for the new ISBNs.

That's a brief version of how things went. I had to ask them to relink a couple of titles on Amazon, and after buying the ISBNs from Bowker I had to attach each title to an ISBN on my purchased list before setting them up on IS or 'zon.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GeneDoucette said:
OK. I just relaunched all of my print editions. I had to set up the books on IS with the owned ISBNs, then go to Amazon, unpublish the print editions with the Amazon ISBNs, and create a new book listing for each new edition on the KDP dashboard for the new ISBNs.

That's a brief version of how things went. I had to ask them to relink a couple of titles on Amazon, and after buying the ISBNs from Bowker I had to attach each title to an ISBN on my purchased list before setting them up on IS or 'zon.
ok great! sounds good.

did you or anyone have experience with having your own ISBN & doing amazon expanded distribution AND THEN deciding to uncheck expanded distribution & GO directly with ingramspark...if so, any tips? and how many days did it take for both sites to approve this?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
blueman3 said:
ok great! sounds good.

did you or anyone have experience with having your own ISBN & doing amazon expanded distribution AND THEN deciding to uncheck expanded distribution & GO directly with ingramspark...if so, any tips? and how many days did it take for both sites to approve this?
When you publish with IS the print edition will be on Amazon, whether or not you want it to. The reason I republished the books through Amazon with the new ISBN is so that the listing for the IS edition and the Amazon edition would get combined under the single ISBN. If you're NOT going to do that and just do print with IS, unpublish the print editions from Amazon, publish with IS and you're basically done.

·
Registered
786 Posts
blueman3 said:
did you or anyone have experience with having your own ISBN & doing amazon expanded distribution AND THEN deciding to uncheck expanded distribution & GO directly with ingramspark...
Complete the IS Title Transfer Addendum PDF document linked below. Provide that along with the list of ISBNs (only the ones you own) to IS customer support and ask them to transfer *only* the expanded distribution for those titles from KDP to themselves. Then contact KDP customer support with the same list and let them know IS will be taking over expanded distribution.

This was the process just before CreateSpace merged with KDP about 2 years ago, so hopefully it still works. I've provided this information to others and not had anyone tell me it didn't work this way still.

https://help.ingramspark.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360014708671/Title_Transfer_Addendum_IngramSpark.pdf (This document link comes from an IS article: https://help.ingramspark.com/hc/en-us/articles/211155403-How-to-Transfer-a-Book-From-One-Account-To-Another-Account)

·
Registered
786 Posts
scottdouglas said:
If you have two separate ISBNs, you probably can keep it in extended distribution on Amazon.
This results in two Amazon listings for the same book, since Amazon builds sales pages by ISBN. These two listing could then compete against each other for sales and ranking. It's best to use the same product identifier (ISBN) for the same product, no matter who prints it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Sleeping Cat! I was wondering how long it takes for people because I did contact IS but haven't heard back in about a week as a test to see how long it takes before I do it for all my other books. Will try again. Anyhow, thanks...i guess i will have to keep on contacting them.

Sleeping Cat Books said:
Complete the IS Title Transfer Addendum PDF document linked below. Provide that along with the list of ISBNs (only the ones you own) to IS customer support and ask them to transfer *only* the expanded distribution for those titles from KDP to themselves. Then contact KDP customer support with the same list and let them know IS will be taking over expanded distribution.

This was the process just before CreateSpace merged with KDP about 2 years ago, so hopefully it still works. I've provided this information to others and not had anyone tell me it didn't work this way still.

https://help.ingramspark.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360014708671/Title_Transfer_Addendum_IngramSpark.pdf (This document link comes from an IS article: https://help.ingramspark.com/hc/en-us/articles/211155403-How-to-Transfer-a-Book-From-One-Account-To-Another-Account)

·
Registered
786 Posts
blueman3 said:
I was wondering how long it takes for people because I did contact IS but haven't heard back in about a week as a test to see how long it takes before I do it for all my other books.
My ~30 titles took over a weekend...but that was two years ago. I have no idea of the timeframe now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts