·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
5,901 Posts
Only 8 titles this month in the UK.

Nothing that immediately appeals to me.

On a separate note, now that I've started to notice it, I can't seem to unsee it - five of the eight books this month are subtitled 'a novel'. It has pretty much the same effect on me as labeling something 'literary fiction'.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Reading the blurbs, Bloodline and Sweetwaters are options I suppose. Reading the reviews, Bloodlines' are way better. Set in the late 60's that one. Reviews don't look too impressive so far on the other stuff, including the one they call romantic comedy. Not a fan of real life type things like that. Based on the author that is. I prefer my romance to be not so close to the author, assuming its even a romance. More like autobiography. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but just not my cup of tea. Usually the cartoon type covers are a clue for me. Reviews not good either. So I think maybe Bloodlines. If I get to it.

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Linjeakel said:
Only 8 titles this month in the UK.

Nothing that immediately appeals to me.

On a separate note, now that I've started to notice it, I can't seem to unsee it - five of the eight books this month are subtitled 'a novel'. It has pretty much the same effect on me as labeling something 'literary fiction'.
I noticed the same thing as I was doing the OP! AND, there was a short book review section in my newspaper today -- about 6 or 8 books and at least 4 were "a novel". One was "essays", which at least makes a little sense. :D

BTW, I went for the historical fiction, A Splendid Ruin. Supposed to be about the San Francisco Earthquake in 1906

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
This might be the worst First Reads month ever. Nothing is even remotely appealing.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I ended up going with An Accusation: A Novel instead of any of the other choices: A Novel. :D

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CS said:
I ended up going with An Accusation: A Novel instead of any of the other choices: A Novel. :D
;D ;D ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts