·
Super Moderator
67,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
67,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Leaning toward Open House but will await a few reviews. The Last Resort sounds promising from the write up, but the one review so far pretty much pans it. But really nothing that screams "Get ME!"

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
The only one that has even a remote potential for me is "Open House". Assuming its a good murder mystery. The reviews look good at least.

I can't even with the others.

·
5,900 Posts
Exactly the same list this month in the UK.

I notice several of them are subtitled "a novel" which seems to be the fashion lately. It always strikes me as somewhat pretentious and they're the ones that (sweeping generalisation here!) turn out to be dire.

I don't feel inspired to try any of them. :(

·
Super Moderator
67,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Linjeakel said:
Exactly the same list this month in the UK.

I notice several of them are subtitled "a novel" which seems to be the fashion lately. It always strikes me as somewhat pretentious and they're the ones that (sweeping generalisation here!) turn out to be dire.

I don't feel inspired to try any of them. :(
I agree absolutely: why say "A Novel"? What else would it be? ;D

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I ended up getting the Memoir, Jew(ish), even though I'm not.

The Last Resort sounded good to me too, but the sample didn't grab me and the reviews aren't all that glowing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I agree absolutely: why say "A Novel"? What else would it be? ;D
Maybe to differentiate between a general novel, a romance, a mystery, a cozy mystery, a cozy romance mystery, a thriller, a spy story, a space opera, a garden-club adventure....

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Well they are all novels. Unless they are short stories, yes? Romance, mystery, etc, doesn't matter. They are all novels. When did that start anyway putting it on the cover? A Novel....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts