Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched recently to an Amazon Visa and went to get my first $25 gift certificate. I'm going broke buying K books and figure this is my way to get Amazon to help with my purchases. I though they would give me a code that I could input somewhere to register the gift card with my account but they say they are shipping the certificate to me in a couple of weeks. Is this the way it works or am I missing something. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Mine always just show up in the mail when I have enough to get a certificate -- I never order them.

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
steven, if you want to buy one for yourself, one of the options is to have it sent by e-mail. . . .if you do that it comes almost right away.  If you asked for a paper certificate they'll mail it to you and you can use it then. 

OTOH, if you're talking about the ones you earn by using the card, those are always paper and, as kari said, come in the mail when they come.  You can then go to "your account" on amazon and enter the number to redeem it.  One-click purchases will then come off that GC balance first.

I have gotten in the habit of buying myself one $50 GC each month and trying not to go over that -- if I get an extra $25 for having used my card that is icing on my cake!  That usually happens every couple of months depending on my spending.

Ann

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Yes, they mail them out. I have to "order" it in my account when I have enough points, it doesn't come automatically and then they mail it. 1-2 weeks is what mine takes to get here, pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I have gotten in the habit of buying myself one $50 GC each month and trying not to go over that -- if I get an extra $25 for having used my card that is icing on my cake! That usually happens every couple of months depending on my spending.

Ann
And remember, you can buy Gift Cards through the KindleBoards link at the top of the page (see where it says "Gift Cards") and KindleBoards gets credit! I'm going to buy one each month, like Ann, and use it for my Kindle purchases so that KindleBoards gets the credit!!!

Betsy

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
I had looked if there was a setting anywhere to have then send automatically, but there is nothing anywhere in the account to do that. I have to go and order them. If they send the 25GC automatically, what if you want to wait and get the 50$ check instead?

It takes me a while to get to one anyway so I just look at my statement and see if I am close to the 2500 points.

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
I think when you set up the card there was an option. . . .you may have to go to your account on Chase to tell them you want to change your reward option. . . .

ann

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Nothing like that in my chase account. There was nothing at all about that when I set up the credit card either. Again, only options in the account are to pick which reward I want to order when I have enough points. No recurring order setup. Its no big deal.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
you can buy Gift Cards through the KindleBoards link at the top of the page (see where it says "Gift Cards") and KindleBoards gets credit!
Does using the Kindleboards link only work if you actually purchase a gift card, as opposed to using your Amazon Visa points to get one?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Atunah said:
Nothing like that in my chase account. There was nothing at all about that when I set up the credit card either. Again, only options in the account are to pick which reward I want to order when I have enough points. No recurring order setup. Its no big deal.
I suspect they may have changed the way they handle the program--I'm another one who just recently started, and I've been all over both the Amazon site & the Chase site looking for a way to automate the GC setup. Nothing. I went ahead yesterday & redeemed my points for my first two GCs. :) But ugh....I didn't expect to have to wait on shipping either!

·
Registered
52 Posts
if it makes you feel any better, I ordered my first ones last Thursday and they came in the mail on Monday!  I was bummed about waiting for them to come in the mail too.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
And remember, you can buy Gift Cards through the KindleBoards link at the top of the page (see where it says "Gift Cards") and KindleBoards gets credit! I'm going to buy one each month, like Ann, and use it for my Kindle purchases so that KindleBoards gets the credit!!!

Betsy
So if you buy a gift card through the link, KindleBoards gets credit. And if you buy a book through the links, KindleBoard gets credit. So that means that if you are buying your books and using your gift card, it's kind of like KB getting double credit. :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Sorry, Kim, but no, it doesn't work that way. If you purchase with a gift card, then no commission is given. It's like cashing in a store credit. Also, Amazon is no longer doing comissions on Kindle books. But if you buy a GC using the links, KB gets the commission for that, and then you can use it to buy books!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
MAGreen said:
Sorry, Kim, but no, it doesn't work that way. If you purchase with a gift card, then no commission is given. It's like cashing in a store credit. Also, Amazon is no longer doing comissions on Kindle books. But if you buy a GC using the links, KB gets the commission for that, and then you can use it to buy books!
No commission if you pay with a gift card... that kind of sucks.
No commission on Kindle Books... I knew that, I forgot.

Thanks for setting my straight.
I think this is incentive to buy a gift card. And of course when I have a gift card I can buy more books. I see an endless cycle about to start.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Good info. Never used a Gift Card.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My Amazon gift certificates (from my Chase Amazon Visa card) just show up in the mail, with no warning.  I've never ordered them.  The return address says "Rewards Center" or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
BK said:
My Amazon gift certificates (from my Chase Amazon Visa card) just show up in the mail, with no warning. I've never ordered them. The return address says "Rewards Center" or something like that.
Yes. . . .don't throw them away without opening. They are NOT junk mail! :D

Ann

1 - 20 of 24 Posts