Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a anthology in a series and a few weeks ago Amazon had removed it from the series' page. I wrote to them asking them to return it and they had been working on it for two weeks. However, today, I was on the bookshelf and noticed that they introduced an entirely new feature which will allow you to manage your book series yourself. I like it!

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
I'm pleased. I've been waiting (and emailing) about two weeks for my books in a new series to be linked. Nice to have the control to do it myself in 10 seconds. I won't get too excited until I see the changes appear on the site, though. It says it could take up to 72 hours. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Finally, something useful!

In the same boat as Dara - got a book #11 in my series that they've been refusing to add to the series page for the last couple of weeks, so just added it myself.

Hopefully it'll work!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I checked this out, and the first time I looked at it NONE of my books were in a series. So, I set about recreating one of my series and adding all 10 books to it, repairing the lost data, and after I went back to the bookshelf... all my other books were now in their correct series.

My advice is ... don't rush into creating series which you know you already had. They're still updating stuff from the look of it.

Hopefully I won't end up with multiple series pages for the same books after this. At least I used the same title...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oh, this is wonderful news! I've been procrastinating on contacting them about putting my books into their proper series, and now (for once) procrastination has paid off! Bad life lesson, perhaps, but definitely a nice reward.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I agree - finally something truly useful! This is a great feature and it seems to work very well, too. And the best thing about it is, you can now add supplemental titles to a series, like prequels and short stories. Before, you couldn't.

One word of warning though: if, by any chance, you have two or more series of the same name (which can happen easily if you publish a series in several languages under the same title), this system won't know which one is which, so you'll risk adding a Spanish title to the German-language version of the series, etc. So you need to make sure that ALL of your series are titled differently, regardless of the language.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've not had a chance to study this new features yet.
Does it allow a series to include a book which is in between the main releases?

eg 1, 2, 3, 3a,4, 5

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JustWriting said:
I've not had a chance to study this new features yet.
Does it allow a series to include a book which is in between the main releases?

eg 1, 2, 3, 3a,4, 5
There appears to be a way of designating something as a prequel or short story, so it would seem so. But, I haven't tested it yet.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It worked! Two weeks or more of #11 not being in the series. Then yesterday I manually add it with the Series Manager, and today - it's in!

Finally, a good idea by KDP.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Maybe KDP support folk got an email a couple of weeks back saying 'ignore all series update requests' - or perhaps their tool to edit series pages was just switched off.

With the ability for users to edit their data so close, it must have saved a ton of labour.

(I applied for changes to my series over a week ago, and received this email yesterday)

Thanks for your patience about the update requested for your series.

You can now create, manage and organize eBook and paperback series from your KDP account.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Simon Haynes said:
Maybe KDP support folk got an email a couple of weeks back saying 'ignore all series update requests' - or perhaps their tool to edit series pages was just switched off.

With the ability for users to edit their data so close, it must have saved a ton of labour.
Definitely :) All my series requests were put on hold, too. I didn't know what to think. :)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Just a warning about the new series pages... if you add supplemental items to your list (e.g. a short story) AND that new item has nothing in the subtitle field, Amazon will add 'Book X in the ABC Series' to the title in their store - X being the position in the supplemental list, and ABC being the main series name.

Example: I set up a series page for my 10 book main series.  Then I added 2 shorts, 1 prequel (title 'Zero') and a novella. The prequel had nothing in the subtitle field.

Now I have Just Desserts (Book 3 in the Hal Spacejock Series) - which is correct.
But I also have Zero (Book 3 in the Hal Spacejock Series) - which is not

I just added a subtitle to the prequel, and hopefully that will fix things.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts