Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On checking up on my Kindle Single: Thinner Thighs in Thirty Years I found a brand new section under the reviews.  It's called "Popular Highlights" and lists all of the most popular passages that customers have highlighted in the book.  Thinner Thighs has 6 favorite highlighted passages.  I'm delighted to learn that readers appreciate a phrase so much they want to be able to return to it.

I clicked on the "What's this" button next to "Popular Highlights".  Apparently they can dig out any reader's jottings from their kindles and catalog them.  

One of the "Highlights" that was chosen by readers was "Men stand in my mind like bison.  Almost extinct, woolly and grouped in the distance."

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I've had this section listed on one of my books for a while.  You only see it pop up when a certain number of readers highlight the same phrase (and in all my books, apparently only one phrase is that memorable ;D).  Also, IIRC, readers can turn off that feature if they want to, so Big Brother Amazon can't see their highlights.

Mine is, "Men shoot to wound.  Women shoot to kill."

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
That might be a bad thing in my case. I highlight parts that do and don't work when I'm reviewing. Hummm. I might have to change that if if becomes a problem.

Kudos for you though! :)

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
It did cross my mind that they may highlight something annoying, too.
A closer look showed me that I did have a popular highlight on one other book-- a listing of my other books. Presumably people highlighted the other books' titles so they'd remember to look them up later. Not annoying, perhaps even flattering, but not exactly a testament to my wordsmithing skill, either. :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Gad, can you imagine the highlights in erotica?

Also, I highlight things for various reasons, e.g., when I was leading the Outlander book club. Lots of passages were highlighted. I also highlight when I find an error so I can notify the author. Wouldn't want those to show up.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Some of my beta readers used their Kindles to help me proof my book after I'd done something stupid with my formatting after it had been uploaded for a few months. I suddenly had lots of words stuck together as I'd deleted some spaces. So, I have a feeling highlights for my books will be all my errors! lol.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Kindle owners can choose on a book by book basis to share highlights or not publicly which means they can delete all error-check highlights and then re-highlight passages that they liked.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
foreverjuly said:
They've been doing this for years.
Yes, this is something that has been in place for a while.

Also, it appears that 3 or more users have to highlight a line or passage for it to show up on your page. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
KJ Kron said:
Oh Kindle, is there nothing you can't do ;) :D ;D :)
Kindle's pretty great... but it can't drive a car, like this cat!

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
popular highlights have been around since the K3 came out, if not earlier.  kindle owners here had various opinions of it when it started, but i think most of us have learned to ignore it.  regarding sharing, your highlights only go to amazon if you chose to share them, and they only become "popular" when 3 or more people highlight an item, so your review highlights are safe from public view.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
fayrlite said:
That might be a bad thing in my case. I highlight parts that do and don't work when I'm reviewing. Hummm. I might have to change that if if becomes a problem.
if you turn off the sync function, then those highlights won't be uploaded. That's how I do it. I just keep sync off at all times.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
sibelhodge said:
These are the popular highlights on Fourteen Days Later:

That life was too short for worrying and wondering and accepting second best. Life was for living, not wasting, wishing for something that you might never find.
Highlighted by 12 Kindle users

"It always seems impossible until it's done" NELSON MANDELA
Highlighted by 10 Kindle users

'I'm sure it'll work out OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.'
Highlighted by 6 Kindle users

I knew I could find happiness in myself without a husband and children; I could feel complete without a family of my own.
Highlighted by 4 Kindle users

1) Sex? Answer: thanks, but no. 2) Age? Answer: thirty but look much younger. 3) Occupation address? Answer: anywhere. 4) Occupational position?
Highlighted by 3 Kindle users

Let's face it: most single men the same age as me either seemed to be mentally challenged, divorced, or had a commitment phobia the

that well known phrase 'time heals,' when, in fact, all it does is fade the past into a kind of sepia blur, like a hazy, out of focus photo.

'What is love? Is it a midnight breath upon my cheek, when I know she's still asleep?'
Sibel, those are classy.

Look at mine on Remix:

www.lexirevellian.com
Highlighted by 60 Kindle users

Highlighted by 9 Kindle users

Highlighted by 5 Kindle users

I'm not in your league. People are highlighting my asterisks? And my blank spaces??

Lexi

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hmmm.... interesting the things people highlight... my first book, Hot Tea

'Keep no more secrets than will fit in here. Allow this box to hold your fear. With your secrets and fears both stowed away. You are blessed to live life to the fullest each day.'

Highlighted by 62 Kindle users

You get out of life exactly what you expect. No more. No less. Change your mind. Change your reality.

Highlighted by 46 Kindle users

No woman needs a man. Not to complete her. Not to provide for her. Not to define her. But every woman needs to be loved, and cherished, and appreciated."

Highlighted by 29 Kindle users

every experience in your life brings you to where you need to be for the next experience. There are no accidents. There are no missteps.

Highlighted by 25 Kindle users

Dealing with the Internet is very much like dealing with a teenager. You have to ask the right questions. You have to filter the response properly.

Highlighted by 23 Kindle users

'Child, the measure of a person is not the challenges they face, but the way they choose to face those challenges. See to it that you face every challenge with integrity and respect and you'll live a life you can be proud of.'

Highlighted by 19 Kindle users

a buddy will bail you out of jail, a friend will be sitting in jail next to you.

Highlighted by 13 Kindle users

all self respecting Irishmen know what Freud said about us. Freud said, "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

Highlighted by 11 Kindle users

You know what they say about the Irish. The only thing that really lasts is our grudges. Even the little ones.

"I'll not take the credit for your glory Cara, nor will I take the blame for your tears."

My second book, Sweet Tea -

"Every relationship has ugly times. Life isn't perfect. It just isn't. The goal is not to find the perfect person, because the perfect person doesn't exist. The goal is to find a person that you love enough to work through the ugly."

Highlighted by 37 Kindle users

Every person you have a relationship with in this life, you have a relationship with for a reason. There are no accidents, Love. You are here to work something out with that person. As far as the rest of the people you come in contact with, at every minute
of every day you are either teaching a lesson or learning a lesson.

Highlighted by 16 Kindle users

We usually don't recognize the learning, or the teaching, till long after the moment has passed."

Sometimes the best thing you can do, is to get out of the way and let life do what it intends. If you decide to stand in the way, all that happens is that you get bowled over."

They have each found a person that they love enough to work through the ugly."

Highlighted by 12 Kindle users

the way they choose to treat the world, in the most unimportant situations, tells those of us paying attention, just who they really are?

Highlighted by 11 Kindle users

"Taking responsibility for what you have control over is admirable, taking responsibility for everything you don't have any control over is just stupid."

Highlighted by 7 Kindle users

"There is no good that comes of a swinging bedroom door. That isn't love, that is sport, and a poor example of sport at that."

Highlighted by 5 Kindle users

Jovana explained that the secret to doing well in business was to think it through before you start. Putting out small fires is exhausting, expensive, and will eventually destroy your love of your business. By thinking it all through before you start, you will alleviate some of that. If you work smart, not hard, and you love what you do, and you have people around you that love and support you, you can't fail. Much.

Highlighted by 4 Kindle users

What's happened to our society? Didn't we once like family? Seems the older I get, the more people seem to think family is the biggest burden in the history of man. Gotta wonder who all these new found independents are going to depend on when they've taught their now grown kids that independence is preferable to familial obligation, and the kids are no where to be found.

Seven for Iced Tea, the third book.

Ten for Green Tea, the fourth book.

and NONE for the 'book set' of all four books at a discounted price. That's kind of weird.

Sheila

1 - 20 of 20 Posts