Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to buy Albert Camus' "The Stranger" last night and it turns out that the book they CLAIM is The Stranger, is in fact a book of literary analysis by Patrick McCarthy. Good thing I sent a sample to myself first. I have sent a message to Amazon about this, if you would like to do the same I'd be grateful.  ;D They listen when more than one person complains.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I think they had the same issue with some JD Salinger books.  It appeared that Catcher in the Rye was available on Kindle, when really it was a dissertation.  I know they're busy, but it seems like someone could open the file and check the first sentence or something before it gets pushed into the kbook store.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
VMars said:
I wanted to buy Albert Camus' "The Stranger" last night and it turns out that the book they CLAIM is The Stranger, is in fact a book of literary analysis by Patrick McCarthy. Good thing I sent a sample to myself first. I have sent a message to Amazon about this, if you would like to do the same I'd be grateful. ;D They listen when more than one person complains.
Are you sure the actual Kindle book doesn't have the novel? The sample may END with literary analysis, but the actual novel may be after that.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Also, I'm impressed with you, V.  I had to read "The Stranger" in high school and hated every single syllable of it.  I salute you for reading it voluntarily.  I also hated "Lord of the Flies".  But I didn't actually read it.  "The Stranger" was much, much shorter, so I actually did read that one. 

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Robin.  ;D I've been wanting to read it for a while. And now I guess I'll have to wait longer.  :-\ There are DT versions of the book here at school but that will be a last resort.  ;D I read Lord of the Flies in high school and didn't like it much either though.

Yes, I am sure that the novel itself isn't in there because in the sample the author outlines every chapter of the book and tells you what each chapter focuses on, and "The Stranger" isn't in there itself.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I don't think does  have it wrong.  I think the person who wrote their paper just used the same title.  The author is clearly stated as Patrick Mccarthy. I don't know that Amazon can change a book title? I read a couple of reviews and several people have mentioned this isn't the work. So I suspect it isn't like the Cambridge compainions that include the work also.  Bummer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
red1 said:
I don't think does have it wrong. I think the person who wrote their paper just used the same title. The author is clearly stated as Patrick Mccarthy. I don't know that Amazon can change a book title? I read a couple of reviews and several people have mentioned this isn't the work. So I suspect it isn't like the Cambridge compainions that include the work also. Bummer.
Yes, see Amazon does have a book by Patrick McCarthy. However, there is also "The Stranger" itself. When you click on that and Kindle version, and have a sample sent to you, you get the one by Patrick McCarthy. So even though Amazon shows it as two separate books, you get the one by McCarthy no matter which of the two you pick.

Does that make sense? I don't know if I'm explaining it right.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I went to amazon and in the kindle store they only have the paper by mccarthy titled "the stranger".  They don't offer Camus in kindle except for one of his short stories, The Orphan.  So, I think if you search The Stranger in Kindle it shows Mccarthy's paper because that is the only one on offer. When I look for the Stanger on paper copy I don't see a kindle link, just click if you want it on kindle.  Which I did for you :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I read L'Etranger in French back in college (way back in college). It didn't make much sense to me until years later. I remember Huis Clos, aussi.

But my question is: are there any foreign language books for the Kindle? Spanish? French? Those are the only ones I can read myself....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are! I just posted a topic where I asked how to download from Gutenberg and there someone recommended manybooks.com. Both Gutenberg and Manybooks have books in foreign languages. Downloaded some in German myself, for free! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts