Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always make a DRM-free copy of the books I buy so I'll have a safe copy in case anything happens.  I learned to do this when Barnes and Noble discontinued their ebooks back in the MS-DOS days.  We had 1 month to download all our books and then they were gone.  I downloaded them but a couple of months later I replaced my PC and the reader program was no longer available and my books were useless.  Never again!!

The way it's always worked is that I use Kindle for PC 1.17, which gives me a copy of my book with DRM that's removable by a commonly known method.  But last week when I and everyone else loaded Kindle for PC it instantly updated itself to a new version even though automatic updates were turned off.  This new version downloads KFX files which aren't easily converted.

I just ordered a 4th generation Kindle that will arrive tomorrow and I'm hoping to be able to download any new books I buy for it and then be able to convert them.  It can't read KFX files so hopefully it'll work.  If not I have to decide whether to continue to buy books from Amazon.  I'm not sure what I'll do in that case but I can't really see myself buying books I can't protect.

I've been a big fan of Amazon for a long time but this is a pretty viscous move on their part.  I buy a lot of books from them; well, more than I can afford.  At least 5 books a month.  Usually more.  I'm feeling kind of bitter at the moment.

Yes I know that Amazon's lawyers say that I'm only paying for the right to read the book but I'm buying the book!!  I know it and they know it!!  That's just legalese to protect themselves in extreme situations.  It's my book.  I can do anything I want with it as long as I don't try to distribute it, which I don't.

Barry

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Hi Barry,

I do the same thing, although not with Kindle for PC. I send my Kindle books to my computer from the Content page on Amazon. I think the option is Send to Kindle via USB. This way I can download the book in the DRM Kindle format, do what you do with it... and then I have it in my library.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just tried that.  The problem is that all my Kindles can read the KFX format and I have to specify one that can't.  My 4th generation Kindle should arrive tomorrow and hopefully that'll make it possible.

Barry

·
5,915 Posts
Barry, I'm not sure if this is of any help to you. Although I don't really use Kindle for PC I did have v1.27 installed. (From memory I think it updated from v1.26 to v1.27 the last time I opened despite being set to not update). I opened it and this time it updated to v1.30.

I checked my download folder and I still had the set up file for v1.26 so I ran that (without uninstalling v1.30), expecting it to tell me that I already had a later version installed, but instead it just reinstalled v1.26 over the newer one. I've opened that program several times since, and even after rebooting the PC it still opens v1.26 without updating it to v1.30 - I have no idea why, or how long it will continue to do that, but it may be worth your while trying the same thing if you can.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Elk said:
One can strip DRM and convert KFX files to other formats with Calibre.
I have read that there's a newer version of these tools that'll handle KFX files but I've never looked into it. I've also read that it's tricky to use. I'm using the last version with the old reader and I don't like the new reader in the later versions. I have tried it in the portable version.

I'm hopeful that when I get my Kindle 4 (the old one without the light) and register it that'll solve the problem. If not I guess I'll have to look into dealing with KFX files.

The thing is that the way it was a typical conversion took a drag and drop and 20 to 30 seconds and it was done. I'll miss that.

Barry

·
Registered
21 Posts
barryem said:
I just tried that. The problem is that all my Kindles can read the KFX format and I have to specify one that can't. My 4th generation Kindle should arrive tomorrow and hopefully that'll make it possible.

Barry
I was under the understanding that downloading for transfer via USB used AZW or AZW3... that KFX was a folder that contained multiple files which wouldn't work well for downloading to transfer via USB withoout being in some sort of container like ZIP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts