Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon says its customers are now buying more Kindle books than all hardcover and paperback books combined.

Four years after introducing its Kindle ereader, Amazon is crowing the platform’s success with another milestone: customers are now buying more titles for the Kindle than hardback and paperback books combined. Amazon says it sold 105 Kindle books for every 100 print books in any format since April 1, including print books for which no electronic version is available. Overall, Amazon says the success of the Kindle have resulted in the fasted year-on-year growth rate for Amazon’s U.S. books business in over 10 years.

“We had high hopes that this would happen eventually, but we never imagined it would happen this quickly—we’ve been selling print books for 15 years and Kindle books for less than four years,” said Amazon.com founder and CEO Jeff Bezos, in a statement. “We’re grateful to our customers for continuing to make Kindle the bestselling e-reader in the world and the Kindle Store the most popular e-bookstore in the world.”

Amazon still isn’t saying exactly how many Kindles or Kindle books it sells, but it does claim to have sold three times as many kindle books so far in 2011 as it did during the same period a year ago. The company is emphasizing that its new Kindle with Special Offers version of the device—priced at $114—has become the best-selling member of the Kindle device family in just five weeks of availability. Amazon also noted its UK bookstore is on pace to be selling more Kindle titles than printed titles soon: since April 1, Amazon’s UK customers have been buying more than two Kindle books for every single hardback book sold.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sales related to the Kindle ereader will account for a whopping 10 percent of Amazon's total revenue in 2012, says a Citigroup analyst.

Sales related to Amazon’s Kindle ereader will soon account for a full 10 percent of all sales made through the e-commerce giant, reports Citigroup Internet analyst Mark Mahaney in a research note that went out to investors earlier today.

Amazon is currently on track to sell about three times as many Kindle devices in 2011 as it did last year. Mahaney estimates that Amazon will sell 17.5 million Kindle units this year alone, which will account for $2.1 billion in revenue. He also expects Amazon to dole out 314 million e-books, up from 124 million in 2010, to make $1.7 billion in revenue. That will equal roughly 8 percent of Amazon’s total revenue for 2011.

kindle-ebooks-chart

Next year, the numbers only go up. The quantity of Kindles sold will jump to 26 million, with e-book sales surging to a staggering total of 751.5 million for 2012. Mahaney says Kindle book sales will generate more revenue, about $3.7 billion, than Kindle devices themselves, which he says will bring in about $2.4 billion. Combined, Kindle-related sales will account for roughly $6.1 billion in revenue, which will make up 10 percent of Amazon’s total yearly revenue for 2012.

The jump in both Kindle sales and ebook sales will be boosted by a sub-$100 Kindle, which Mahaney says Amazon will release before the end of this year.

These numbers follow a recent report that Amazon now sells more Kindle books than print books. For every 100 analog books sold, Amazon says it sells 105 Kindle books. The company currently has more than a million titles in its repertoire.

Amazon says that the Kindle has accounted for the fastest year-on-year growth rate for Amazon’s US books business in 10 years.

“We had high hopes that this would happen eventually, but we never imagined it would happen this quickly—we’ve been selling print books for 15 years and Kindle books for less than four years,” said Amazon.com founder and CEO Jeff Bezos, in a statement. “We’re grateful to our customers for continuing to make Kindle the bestselling ereader in the world and the Kindle Store the most popular e-bookstore in the world.”

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
*cough* I don't want to get in trouble with Betsy so I'll just look smug.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Joe,

I've merged your two very similar threads.

Betsy
Thank you very much. I'm pretty new to the boards and I saw some interesting stories that I thought would be informational to the members. But dumb me, I think the stories were a little old and members were saying duh, that was old news. But besides my stupidity, I would like to thank you Betsy(and all the other good people who run this board) you are all great at what you do. This forum always has excellent information, and it's all laid out very professionally. I also want to apologize to Betsy for the two posts that are too much alike, thanks for moving them for me. I started visiting these boards for the first time a few months ago and have been hooked ever since. So finally, thank you to the moderators who help run the ship, the authors who supply us with so many great books, the readers (like me) who read them, and anyone else who contributes to these boards.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NightGoat said:
Good posts Joe, it's interesting to know these things.

Thank you for keeping us informed.
No Problem, I'm glad you liked them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is good for authors who are self-published, probably not so good for the book stores but I think that they should do ok if they start to market versatile ways to get ebooks into the consumers' hands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts