Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the hooks that attach the leather cover created cracks on the edges on my kindle 2. i noticed the cracks about 2 weeks before these pictures were taken and didn't quite realize that they were cracks (at the beginning they looked like scratches). amazon said could have been a defective cover (or defective plastic on my kindle) and hopefully this is just an isolated incident.

on the plus side amazon did send me a new kindle 2 and cover through next day mail.

the setup and transfer of books to my replacement kindle 2 was seamless.

here is the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/pbe/sets/72157618786251744/ to the photos.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just wanted to also say that I am glad Amazon took care of you. I would never buy a Amazon cover....on my K1, the cover broke about 15 minutes after owning it......my K2 has a nice Belkin material type cover and not at $ 80....... I have no idea why people are spending so much on covers...good luck !    ;D

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
brianm said:
....... I have no idea why people are spending so much on covers...good luck ! ;D
Oh Brian, you might want to duck and run before an Oberon fanatic throws something at you :)

We all have our obsessions, and for some of us, it's our Kindle and the covers.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
kim said:
Oh Brian, you might want to duck and run before an Oberon fanatic throws something at you :)

We all have our obsessions, and for some of us, it's our Kindle and the covers.
Agree with you. It is OK Brian we'll only throw soft things at you. LOL ;D

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Like everyone else said, those are some bad cracks.  I'm glad it turned out okay.
deb

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Glad you are back to reading.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
My guess is they have had this problem with other kovered Kindles since they were so responsive.  Interesting, and glad you are back in business!  You might consider a different cover though.

Betsy

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has happened to me now, too.  Unfortunately, Amazon is not being so responsive.  First they told me the problem was due to "customer use patterns."  I asked, "You mean, like, reading?"  Now they are offering to send me a new kindle for a $200 "service fee."  This is not good.  Not good at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
pbailey said:
the hooks that attach the leather cover created cracks on the edges on my kindle 2. i noticed the cracks about 2 weeks before these pictures were taken and didn't quite realize that they were cracks (at the beginning they looked like scratches). ...

here is the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/pbe/sets/72157618786251744/ to the photos.

[/URL][/IMG]
Here is how I fixed my leather cover to avoid the problem.

The Kindle2 attaches firmly within the Amazon leather cover, using metal clasps to its left side. But the right side is free to swing when the cover is opened or closed. I was concerned that damage to the Kindle was possible because of that freedom of motion. So I made a simple fix, using short lengths of elastic tape from my wife's sewing box and some super glue (glued to the cover, not to the Kindle). The new tapes wrap around the free corners of the Kindle to hold them securely in place.

http://f.imagehost.org/0154/Kindle-cover-mod.jpg

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Dave said:
Here is how I fixed my leather cover to avoid the problem.

The Kindle2 attaches firmly within the Amazon leather cover, using metal clasps to its left side. But the right side is free to swing when the cover is opened or closed. I was concerned that damage to the Kindle was possible because of that freedom of motion. So I made a simple fix, using short lengths of elastic tape from my wife's sewing box and some super glue (glued to the cover, not to the Kindle). The new tapes wrap around the free corners of the Kindle to hold them securely in place.

http://f.imagehost.org/0154/Kindle-cover-mod.jpg
very nicely done, Dave

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
pbailey said:
the hooks that attach the leather cover created cracks on the edges on my kindle 2. i noticed the cracks about 2 weeks before these pictures were taken and didn't quite realize that they were cracks (at the beginning they looked like scratches). amazon said could have been a defective cover (or defective plastic on my kindle) and hopefully this is just an isolated incident.

on the plus side amazon did send me a new kindle 2 and cover through next day mail.

the setup and transfer of books to my replacement kindle 2 was seamless.

[/URL][/IMG]
Oh man, that is horrible.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
suicidepact said:
Is the Amazon case the only one to use that kind of hinge/hook type of fastener to hold the Kindle?
No, a couple of the M-Edge ones and the newest Cole Haan's have the hinge mechanism as well.

It's really a matter of being very careful, since there's no attachment to keep the Kindle from swinging towards the front cover, cracking the plastic frame against metal hinges that aren't at all flexible. The DX and its cover address this by built in magnets that hold the DX to the back cover; there's no such protection for the K2, and it's fairly obvious that Amazon must have added the magnets to their design after a number of K2 issues. But if you stay conscientious about how you hold & handle your K2/cover combo, you're a lot less likely to ever see damage of this type.

The hinges are a great innovation for those who prefer the floating look, and I won't dismiss a cover outright just because it has them, but I do take extra care when I'm using mine.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts