1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
918 Posts
I should start saving the books I buy on my computer then. That kinda sucks for those who rely on Amazon to save their books for them.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Guess that is a positive for no WN - all my books are on my computer.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The only surprise to me in that blog/article was that some books have less than the 6 device limit.  I do believe in the case of returns, etc. Amazon can remove some of the devices you have previously downloaded to restore your 6 device limit but IIRC Amazon has to do it and it is on a book by book basis.

This is one of my concerns with the DRM and the 6 download limit as it now stands, while I may not have more than 6 devices at any one time (I could conceivably have 5 with my family members), I will probably upgrade the device(s) several times over the years as newer/better gadgets come online and it will be only a matter of time before I reach the 6 book limit.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It happened to me x_X

Went through 6 or 7 kindles, then all of a sudden on my Manage your Kindle page, I got the "Cannot Sent To Selected Device" Error message for about half of my books.

I had to call up CS, get them to refund me all those books, then buy them again. Not so fun.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Jeff said:
That's odd. The story reports that Amazon customer service claims that the download limit is set by the publisher. I looked at my publisher's dashboard and there's no place where I can set the number of times a customer can download.
The big publishing houses may have more room to negotiate the contract regarding this issue. Probably much like the text to voice.

Out of curiosity do you have the ability to turn off the text to voice option on your publisher's dashboard?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anarel said:
It happened to me x_X

Went through 6 or 7 kindles, then all of a sudden on my Manage your Kindle page, I got the "Cannot Sent To Selected Device" Error message for about half of my books.

I had to call up CS, get them to refund me all those books, then buy them again. Not so fun.
Exactly. This is total nonsense. At the rate of Kindle and/or iPhone upgrades sooner or later many, if not most, will run into this problem. Not exactly what Amazon advertises. "All your ebook purchases will be stored on Amazon's site to download at your convenience....." but no disclaimer as to a limit. Pretty lame, IMHO. The ebook industry needs to wake up and follow that of the music industry and erradicate DRM.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Skydog said:
Exactly. This is total nonsense. At the rate of Kindle and/or iPhone upgrades sooner or later many, if not most, will run into this problem. Not exactly what Amazon advertises. "All your ebook purchases will be stored on Amazon's site to download at your convenience....." but no disclaimer as to a limit. Pretty lame, IMHO. The ebook industry needs to wake up and follow that of the music industry and erradicate DRM.
I truly think DRM will go away/become a non-issue with time.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect Amazon would be perfectly happy selling non-DRM books if the publishers would allow it (they do music). As more and more legitimate purchasers run into this problem the squawk over DRM will get louder and louder.

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
I take the article with a grain of salt, and I'll tell you why.  First of all, as we all know, not all CS reps are created equal. . . . it doesn't sound to me like he got a particularly helpful or experienced one and I think he might get a different answer if he called back or asked to speak to a suprevisor.  But, secondly, and this is more telling, I got that same "can't download" message one day on a book, and the next day it came down fine.  Here's what happened:

I had purchased a couple of books a few days ago, after I'd ordered my DX.  Because of Amazon's initial naming method, the DX ended up being listed as the primary Kindle, so the books I ordered went there.  I realized what had happened when I went to check to see why they hadn't shown up and realized they'd gone to my DX's waiting room.  So, I went to the books and had them sent to my K1.

The first one showed 'sending' just fine, and the second one showed "can't download to that device."  Hmmm.  At first I thought it might be that my main Kindle memory was full, so I moved a few things, freeing up several MB, tried again and got the same message.  Odd.  I knew I hadn't exceeded my allotment of 6 downloads because I only have 2 devices, and no phantom devices from returns or exchanges.  I considered the possibility that this book was, for some reason, limited to just 1 download, but that really didn't make a lot of sense.  So I thought, well, I'll try again tomorrow and if I can't send it, then I'll contact CS.  This morning when I went and sent it, it came through just fine.

So, I think that there were some server issues at Amazon yesterday and that's why I had a problem, briefly.  If the author of this piece was having his problems yesterday, which it seems he was, he may have gotten caught up in it too.  Maybe it was because of all the new iPhones.  I don't think he has as big a problem as he believes he has, though it is true that he's limited to 6 downloads.  I couldn't tell if he was surprised to learn that or not, but i always thought that was pretty clearly stated.  I had previously heard  -- here on KB actually -- that some publishers limit the number to something less than 6.  That's a total bummer, of course -- we should absolutely let publishers know we don't appreciate it if that is their policy.

So, that's my experience, and my opinion, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I take the article with a grain of salt, and I'll tell you why. First of all, as we all know, not all CS reps are created equal. . . . it doesn't sound to me like he got a particularly helpful or experienced one and I think he might get a different answer if he called back or asked to speak to a suprevisor. But, secondly, and this is more telling, I got that same "can't download" message one day on a book, and the next day it came down fine. Here's what happened:

I had purchased a couple of books a few days ago, after I'd ordered my DX. Because of Amazon's initial naming method, the DX ended up being listed as the primary Kindle, so the books I ordered went there. I realized what had happened when I went to check to see why they hadn't shown up and realized they'd gone to my DX's waiting room. So, I went to the books and had them sent to my K1.

The first one showed 'sending' just fine, and the second one showed "can't download to that device." Hmmm. At first I thought it might be that my main Kindle memory was full, so I moved a few things, freeing up several MB, tried again and got the same message. Odd. I knew I hadn't exceeded my allotment of 6 downloads because I only have 2 devices, and no phantom devices from returns or exchanges. I considered the possibility that this book was, for some reason, limited to just 1 download, but that really didn't make a lot of sense. So I thought, well, I'll try again tomorrow and if I can't send it, then I'll contact CS. This morning when I went and sent it, it came through just fine.

So, I think that there were some server issues at Amazon yesterday and that's why I had a problem, briefly. If the author of this piece was having his problems yesterday, which it seems he was, he may have gotten caught up in it too. Maybe it was because of all the new iPhones. I don't think he has as big a problem as he believes he has, though it is true that he's limited to 6 downloads. I couldn't tell if he was surprised to learn that or not, but i always thought that was pretty clearly stated. I had previously heard -- here on KB actually -- that some publishers limit the number to something less than 6. That's a total bummer, of course -- we should absolutely let publishers know we don't appreciate it if that is their policy.

So, that's my experience, and my opinion, for what it's worth.
Lucky. I had my issue several weeks ago, and had to get refunded and redownload like thirty books x_X. I wasn't caught up in anything, though, and I had waited a few days to see if the issue corrected itself, which it didn't. Then I gave CS a call.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
This kind of stuff only encourages piracy. If I ever ran into this issue, I'd have no qualms about resorting to "illicit" means to strip the DRM off my books to keep what I already paid for. Hopefully Amazon and/or the publishers wake up, and soon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This is ridiculous. You would think that once you pay for a book, it should be yours forever. There is something to be said about "paper" books. Naw. . .the Kindle is so much fun. . . and convenient.

I read that article, then started to think about everything else we download in this new digital world we live in. I know there is talk about iTunes music only being able to be copied up to 10 times to a CD. I thought, that's not fair, it's mine, I paid for it. Don't know if that's true, never tested it. Also, many of the software's we buy on line will allow you to download repeatedly up to maybe 30 days, then you can't.  Symantec's anti-virus software is also like that. They offer you an option to pay an extra fee to be able to download the software you just bought any time, or you can skip the extra fee and choose to backup at home to disc. Just make sure you have a backup somewhere.

Life is different nowadays, just because we've paid for something doesn't mean is always ours. If we lose it, we may have to buy it again. Yeah, I know that stinks, but that the new digital world. DRM may be helping the author or developer, but it's making it a nuisance for us buyers.

Like the saying goes, "Backup, backup, backup".

I know now, I will definitely plug in my USB and copy all those book files to my computer, external hard drive and maybe a DVD too.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Jenni said:
I should start saving the books I buy on my computer then. That kinda sucks for those who rely on Amazon to save their books for them.
I thought I read one of the commenters of the article say when she downloaded books to her computer, they worked fine for the Kindle she currently had, but when she got a new one, it wouldn't download the books from her computer to the new Kindle because the books were already formatted to the previous Kindle. Did I misread that?
Does Amazon somehow tag the books with the device you have when you download it to your computer?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Great article via Twitter on content license limits: Kindle's DRM Rears It's Ugly Head & It's Ugly http://bit.ly/jCQcT. What is interesting is that I can no longer find the 6 device limit in the Kindle license. If someone could help me out on this, I'd appreciate it. It looks like the # of devices is now supposed to be unlimited via this paragraph:

Use of Digital Content. Upon your payment of the applicable fees set by Amazon, Amazon grants you the non-exclusive right to keep a permanent copy of the applicable Digital Content and to view, use, and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Device or as authorized by Amazon as part of the Service and solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Digital Content will be deemed licensed to you by Amazon under this Agreement unless otherwise expressly provided by Amazon.

Via the TOS site (http://www.tosback.org/organization.php?cid=1) it looks like something changed, but I apparently am not up to that amount of thought on a Saturday morning.
Anyone?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Guess we cross posted: :D
Here's mine and thoughts. Where is the 6 device limit text now?
-----------------------
Great article via Twitter on content license limits: Kindle's DRM Rears It's Ugly Head & It's Ugly http://bit.ly/jCQcT. What is interesting is that I can no longer find the 6 device limit in the Kindle license. If someone could help me out on this, I'd appreciate it. It looks like the # of devices is now supposed to be unlimited via this paragraph:

Use of Digital Content. Upon your payment of the applicable fees set by Amazon, Amazon grants you the non-exclusive right to keep a permanent copy of the applicable Digital Content and to view, use, and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Device or as authorized by Amazon as part of the Service and solely for your personal, non-commercial use. Digital Content will be deemed licensed to you by Amazon under this Agreement unless otherwise expressly provided by Amazon.

Via the TOS site (http://www.tosback.org/organization.php?cid=1) it looks like something changed, but I apparently am not up to that amount of thought on a Saturday morning.
Anyone?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
As I've said before, issues like this are what worry me with not only Kindle, but with e-books in general.

I have a Kindle, and I use it every day.  I love it.

That being said, however, I am still not necessarily drawn to the Kindle more than to regular books.  And this is one reason why.  Even now, I have a book I want, and I am having the hardest time deciding whether it is better to buy it on Kindle, or to buy a hardcopy that I know I'll have without any issues for a long, long time.

If I buy a hardcopy book, I have it for the life of the book (and I take good care of mine, so they last a long time).  I don't have to buy a new one if I use up my "limited downloads" on it. 

I would love to see Kindle and e-books succeed, but they have some serious issues they are going to have to figure out first, I think. 

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I don't think we self publishers are given any such powers to restrict whether our books are TTS enabled. Let's not forget that this only came about because the publishers had a hissy fit about it. It wasn't Amazon's intent or idea. The same is probably true for this 6 Kindle license limit.

I'm inclined to believe a thought I saw over on the Amazon forums, which I'll express here in my own terms. All the Kindles you've ever bought are probably listed on your account. If you buy six Kindles, and download a book to all six, then you may have used up all your licenses. However, if you no longer own one or more of those Kindles, they are still registered in your account and count against your limit. But if you call Support and have them remove the older Kindles from your records, perhaps then it frees you up to download the ebook again.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts