Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve heard/read that reaching a certain number of Amazon reviews (like 20 or 50) can help. Amazon uses that number, perhaps in part, to promote the book in subtle ways. I did notice that once I hit 20 reviews, a search for my book title in Google ranked number one or two versus the second page when I had 19 reviews.

Have you seen 50 or any other number as a magic elixir?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
There is no magic in Amazon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think we can say that review numbers may not matter to Amazon for certain things they do, but can we say for sure they don't. A common theme I've heard is that the Amazon's metrics are a mystery.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
0 is a magic number.  :p

It depends as much on star-number, I think. You can have 100 reviews with 80% being 2 and that's not gonna rock anyone's reading world. The number of 3+ starred reviews in a finite amount of time can affect rankings, but that also can quickly level out and go away.

My LOST AND FOUND has over 70 and at one time ranked well but no new reviews mean it drops in ranking. It's a beast that continually needs feeding.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
telracs said:
actually, according to schoolhouse rock "three is a magic number"
A trope used in Earnest Cline's Ready Player One.
Which is a great book if you haven't read it, especially if you grew up in the 80's.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
More reviews means more people are picking up your book hence it looks like they help.  Cause =people buying book.  Effect=more reviews.   

·
Registered
164 Posts
Reviews are helpful tools because they are social proof that other humans like your work and are often a prerequisite for paid advertising. Whether or not Amazon does give a boost to higher ranked/high review rated books is not something we can control or manipulate in any way. But I know when I see a book published for 3-4 years with 9 reviews and a 3.5 star rating my spider-senses start tingling. The same is true on a book published in the last few months with over 100 reviews and a high ranking. Of course I'll be more likely to bite the higher ranked book with the most reviews. But I'm a sheep like that lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts