Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will they be announcing the jumbo Kindle?

http://gizmodo.com/5238916/confirmed-jumbo-kindle-announcement-scheduled-for-may-6th

Updated with the latest from the Amazon announcement:

Confirmed today:

Rumors and Questions

Larger-format KindleDX, with 9.7-inch screen.

Similar button layout, but with all buttons on right side of reader.

Arrangements with six colleges to provide Kindles to students, preloaded with college textbooks.

Improved browser functionality.

Able to natively read PDF documents.

Other

·
Registered
921 Posts
Wow.  If it is true, can you imagine trying to protect a larger screen?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Geez, that thing is HUGE!  Funny, notebook computers are shrinking into netbooks yet the Kindle is super-sizing...

Did you notice how much whiter the background is on the Big Boy?  If that's not a doctored photo, looks like they ARE capable of making the screen lighter.  Hope they'll upgrade K2 firmware to give us more contrast.

I am perfectly happy reading newspapers on my K2, and have no desire for a larger device.  I think the happiest people will be those who make cases, covers and bags! 

·
Registered
118 Posts
If this one is capable of holding all my daughter's textbooks I may check into it.

·
Super Moderator
67,500 Posts
I wouldn't jump based on the photo. . .it's clearly doctored (I'm referring to the one in the first two links above; in the third link it's a device by Plastic Logic). . .they don't know yet what it really will look like.

I can see there being a market for folks who do want to read newspapers or PDF type docs on Kindle.  The bigger screen should permit showing full pages that might be column formatted or something rather than just text.  And perhaps also text books, which would open up the college -- maybe even high school -- market.

The current version is still going to be best for 'regular' books, I'd think.  But it will be interesting to see what they say.  Also interesting to find out the price. . . . I'm thinking much higher because of the bigger screen.

Ann

·
Registered
148 Posts
Personally I prefer the smaller screen.  I read alot of paperbacks before & since I don't get teh newspapers or mags my K2 screen is perfect for me. 

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
This is fascinating.  I can definitely see the upside for students and it looks like it may be easier to read newspapers and magazines.  It will be interesting to see how this develops and how the public responds to the larger Kindle.

As for me, I'll stick with my K1, although it seems to be aging rapidly.  (I'll still love her -- when she's 64!)  ::)

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Trekker said:
Can you imagine that larger screen fading in the sunlight? How about that larger screen with super light text on a dark background? Just think of that larger screen without folders or tags!

I'm not thrilled about the K3 and won't be buying one, even if all the above issues are "fixed" with this version. I just hope that once it's out, Amazon will start to address the issues we have with the K2.
Or the issues since the K1, like NO FOLDERS....

Betsy

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh, I will stick to my K2 for myself. I was just saying IF it was going to be a device that my daughter could use in place of those textbooks I would consider it. My daughter literally carries a book bag that weighs about 25 lbs every single day, all day on her back. A Kindle with all her textbooks on it would be fantastic.

·
Registered
607 Posts
It's possible they are announcing a larger screen version (to get one out before any competitors) but I think other possible announcements could be:

1. Higher sale numbers then anticipated for K2.
2. New features on the K2 (please folders, please).
3. New exclusive deal with a publishing house.
4. Lower price on the K2. (I doubt, since $360 is fine and the people who are on the fence because of price would want a ridiculous price drop, like the ones who think it should be under $100.)
5. Announcing the "refer a friend" program we all want.
6. Unveiling of giant "Sony Sucks" banner with new ad campaign of popular intellectual celebrities curled up with their Kindle "Sony, who the hell would want one of those?  I have a Kindle."    ;D

Lara Amber   

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
LaraAmber said:
6. Unveiling of giant "Sony Sucks" banner with new ad campaign of popular intellectual celebrities curled up with their Kindle "Sony, who the hell would want one of those? I have a Kindle." ;D

Lara Amber
ROFLMAO!! :D

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Oh no...I am such a toy wh0re that if they release a bigger one, I'll probably find a way to justify getting it. This could be bad...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Very interesting.  Thanks for posting this.  I'd love to have one of these for the house.

·
Super Moderator
67,500 Posts
going to merge this with the ongoing thread about Amazon's announcement on Wednesday.

And, incidentally, that picture is of a Plastic Logic device.

Ann

1 - 20 of 205 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.