Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kindle 2 Personal Documents
8:09 AM PDT, April 29, 2009

For anyone who has recently sent personal documents to your Kindle, we'd like to let you know about some updates to our Personal Document Service (via Whispernet).

Starting May 4, in addition to the existing list of supported file types (DOC, HTML, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, TXT, AZW, MOBI, PRC), you can send RTF files to your Kindle email address for convenient wireless delivery. In addition to the existing experimental support of PDF, you can also send DOCX files for conversion. Some complex PDF and DOCX files might not format correctly on your Kindle.

We have also modified the fee associated with sending personal documents wirelessly to your Kindle. This fee is now based on the size of your file. The fee for Personal Document Service (via Whispernet) is 0.15 per megabyte rounded up to the next whole megabyte.

If you would like to download your personal documents for free, or if you are not in a wireless area, you can continue to send attachments to "name"@free.kindle.com to be converted. These documents will be e-mailed to your computer at the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account login.

As always, you can also use our free document conversion service for any document you want to transfer over USB, and you will not be charged.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Nice to know! Thanks for passing that along!

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
Interesting. . . .thanks for the info. . . .of course, they said before they'd charge 10 ¢ per but never did. . . .I'll be interested to see if this new charge actually happens.

I haven't paid attention. . . .how much does a megabyte hold in terms of the length of the document.

Incidentally, luv, how did you receive this notice?

Ann

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
I thought I had read that they've always charged  .10, but wouldn't bill people until it got to be over $ 3.  Which would explain why a lot of people who only used that feature a few times thought it was free.

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
That's the scuttlebutt, yes.  But I've sent many many things directly to my Kindle and never been charged a dime. (Or $3 or anything! :) .)  I watch my CC pretty closely so I think I'd know.  There are others here who will tell  the same story.  It's possible they've finally closed the loophole.

Ann

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
Interesting. . . .thanks for the info. . . .of course, they said before they'd charge 10 ¢ per but never did. . . .I'll be interested to see if this new charge actually happens.

I haven't paid attention. . . .how much does a megabyte hold in terms of the length of the document.

Incidentally, luv, how did you receive this notice?

Ann
I got a tweet on Twitter with a link to Amazon's Blog. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNK13R15I1M4DD9J?ie=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0

As for the .10 that Amazon was supposed to charge, I sent many documents for conversion and was never charged. I think since they're announcing this change that they will start charging.

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
As for the .10 that Amazon was supposed to charge, I sent many documents for conversion and was never charged. I think since they're announcing this change that they will start charging.
You're probably right. . . . .so it will become important to know how big the file is. . . .I mean, it's not bad to pay 15 or 30 cents for a short something but if the whole book -- that you downloaded from a free site to save money -- is huge and costs you $4 to send, well, heck, you may as well buy it from Amazon. Gee. . . .maybe that's just what they're thinking! Can't blame 'em! I'll be interested to see how it plays out. . . . .I may have to find that USB cord and start using it. :D

Ann

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I never heard of anyone who got charged on the previous fee structure, but am pretty confident that they used the past few months to test and came up with the new policy.  I find this interesting as I had in the past sent a couple of documents that I was told were too large.  I’ll have to go thru my past uploads to calculate, so I’m not sure just yet how this will affect me.  Unfortunately, many non-technical users will have no idea how to calculate this.

Also for those of you using Microsoft Word 2007, note that you may want to save as a .DOC, since it’s now noted that the new Word format (.DOCX) may not format correctly

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
You're probably right. . . . .so it will become important to know how big the file is. . . .I mean, it's not bad to pay 15 or 30 cents for a short something but if the whole book -- that you downloaded from a free site to save money -- is huge and costs you $4 to send, well, heck, you may as well buy it from Amazon. Gee. . . .maybe that's just what they're thinking! Can't blame 'em! I'll be interested to see how it plays out. . . . .I may have to find that USB cord and start using it. :D

Ann
True. I'm certain I'll be using the free conversion more myself. I actually prefer that because then I know I have a backup on my computer in case something happens. When I have Amazon do it, I have to remember to back it up.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I think since they put an "as of this date" , May 4th, they do intend to begin charging. 

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
Jesslyn said:
Also for those of you using Microsoft Word 2007, note that you may want to save as a .DOC, since it's now noted that the new Word format (.DOCX) may not format correctly
.docx wasn't supported at all before so this is new.

Ann

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
. . .I may have to find that USB cord and start using it. :D

Ann
The cord on the charger that came with the kindle 2 becomes the USB, I think the Kindle1 had a seperate one. I gave it all to my friend, I know it came with one, because I used it a lot, but I think it wasn't the adaption of the charger like k1. I think it came with a seperate one. I know I didn't buy it, it came in the box.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got my notice via email.  It said:

"As someone who has recently sent personal documents to a Kindle, you might like to know about some updates to our Personal Document Service (via Whispernet)."

and then followed with the same script as above.  I just assumed that everyone who had used the service in the past would receive the same email.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Jammie said:
I got my notice via email. It said:

"As someone who has recently sent personal documents to a Kindle, you might like to know about some updates to our Personal Document Service (via Whispernet)."

and then followed with the same script as above. I just assumed that everyone who had used the service in the past would receive the same email.
Interesting, no mail here yet.

Just checked a bunch of the .prc files on my desktop, and not one of them has reached a full megabyte by any stretch of the imagination; even the PDFs, who are major resource hogs comparatively, are under that point. But I'm assuming they'll simply round up to 1 MB regardless and charge the 15 cents for them.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Looks to me that if you use WHISPERNET you will get charged.  If you use @free.kindle.com there is no charge.  I have never gotten charged, so that could be why, no WN.

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
Jammie said:
I got my notice via email. It said:

and then followed with the same script as above. I just assumed that everyone who had used the service in the past would receive the same email.
VictoriaP said:
Interesting, no mail here yet.
Neither have I . . . .that's why I asked luv. . . .of course, we don't all get updates at the same time either!

I may have to re-evaluate my kindlefeeder feeds. . . . .I kinda like reading them for free. . . but don't know if I'll want to pay for them knowing I can STILL read them free just by going to the web sites.

Dona, it always has been the stated policy that you'd get charged for using WN to have Amazon load conversions directly to your Kindle. . . . but no one seems ever to have been charged. Looks like that's going to change although, as you point out, they'll still do the conversion free and send back to you via e-mail. I expect you're a pro at transferring files with the USB but, I admit, I used it once when I first got my Kindle back in July -- just to see that it worked -- and haven't used it since. I'll have to look up how to do it the first few times! LOL :D

Victoria, that's a good idea. . .I'll have to look at the files I have and see how big they are. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Dona, it always has been the stated policy that you'd get charged for using WN to have Amazon load conversions directly to your Kindle. . . . but no one seems ever to have been charged. Looks like that's going to change although, as you point out, they'll still do the conversion free and send back to you via e-mail. I expect you're a pro at transferring files with the USB but, I admit, I used it once when I first got my Kindle back in July -- just to see that it worked -- and haven't used it since. I'll have to look up how to do it the first few times! LOL :D
I had never paid much attention to that I just thought they charged, period. Guess I am lucky!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wonder how amazon determines the size of the document...by that I mean is the the size of the file we send to them or is it the size of the converted file that is uploaded to your Kindle. Not sure if the files get bigger or smaller after they are converted?? Although, I could easily see a large PDF document with pics at 10 megs +/- which will cost $1.50 to have it sent wirelessly (more than some ebooks). Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
182 Posts
15¢ per MB isn't too bad.  1 of the Amazon versions of War and Peace is like 1800 KB so it would only be 30¢.  That's the biggest book I could think of off the top of my head. 

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
kindle2fan said:
I wonder how amazon determines the size of the document...by that I mean is the the size of the file we send to them or is it the size of the converted file that is uploaded to your Kindle. Not sure if the files get bigger or smaller after they are converted?? Although, I could easily see a large PDF document with pics at 10 megs +/- which will cost $1.50 to have it sent wirelessly (more than some ebooks). Just some food for thought.
I would imagine that it is based upon the resultant file. That is the one that is sent over Whispernet.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts