Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received some author copies and the quality of the printing seems much lower than it used to be. The color cover looks a bit "washed out" and the interior text is not uniformly centered vertically on the pages.

Has anyone else noticed a decline in print quality or is this just a one-off?

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
JackHughes said:
I just received some author copies and the quality of the printing seems much lower than it used to be. The color cover looks a bit "washed out" and the interior text is not uniformly centered vertically on the pages.

Has anyone else noticed a decline in print quality or is this just a one-off?
I don't know about the text issue, but there are some colors (the really bright vibrant ones) that don't translate from RGB to CMYK. So if your cover had those colors, that might be why the cover is washed out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You might try contacting them and asking for a (free) replacement because of the issues (include pictures if you can). I don't use Amazon for paperback, but I use IS, and the first paperback I got from them was horrendous. (Big ink smudges, text at the very edge of the page, margins not consistent, slanted text, very cheap cover paper...) I contacted them, showed pics, and the next one was much better. It could be an issue with the individual printer they used, and if they get enough complaints about quality, they might stop using that printer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Earlier prints always looked great. These look cheesy. I wonder if Amazon is using a new vendor.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The last two orders of author copies I got were a mess. There were blank pages and the cover colors were all wrong.

As I understood it at the time, it was due to Amazon putting preference to customer orders and subbing out the author copies, which is understandable. They refunded my money after I sent pics. They were cool about it. That was several months ago and I haven't tried since.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just received Proofs - not the quality I expected.  This is first Proofs, or Author copies for me since the changeover from Create Space.  I hope this is due to the Proof factor, and print copies up the quality.

Not totally dissatisfied, but not totally happy camper either.  Will see next time after a few typo corrections, and submit again for more proofs, then will order author copies and see if any difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my experience, the only difference between an author copy and a proof is that proofs have PROOF printed on them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The only difference I think is you can order a Proof at the time of file upload, but an Author copy must wait until your file upload has been 'approved' by KDP print quality control. (because I think the Author copy link gets greyed out while your file is in "In Review" status.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts