Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you search a title via computer: Amazon lists the title and the price but never the # of pages. Yet, if you search via the Kindle and Search the store it list the # Pages (once you click on the title). I know Kindle doesn't work by "pages" but I still like to know how many pages. I often decide which book I am going to read by the # of pages. I feel that no matter which way I search: The following info should come up on the same page without further searching: TITLE, PRICE, NUMBER OF PAGES. I often have to turn on whispernet and search for a title then click on the title just to find out the # of pages because the Amazon page via computer doesn't list the info.

Also, after sample...still have to click again to find out price.

Click, Click, Back and Forth...

Anyone else annoyed by this??

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I do always check the # of pages also, sometimes amazon has it listed and sometimes they don't.

I wish they just gave you all the details all on one page like you said.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Are you saying that on the Kindle, when you're looking at a number of titles in a list (before you select an individual title by clicking through), it tells you the number of pages on THAT screen? I can't use WhisperNet, so I'm genuinely curious.

I do all my book searching on the website via computer. Neither Kindle books nor DTB's have the number of pages when you're viewing multiple titles in a list (before you click through), so I'm used to it. Not something that really bothers me. The less information overload when browsing and searching, the better, IMO.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
reemixx:  Kindle: Once you click the title after the initial search, it lists: # reviews, Sales rank, Publisher, Date Published, *Print Lengh

(I choose my selection for the day by the print length...If I have the time, I choose a longer book...pressed for time; shorter book) Yes, I'm one of those who must finish the book before my head hits the pillow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree, the number of pages is a big factor when I'm considering whether to buy a new book or not.  Sometimes I feel like wanting a quick read and other times I like to dig into bigger books.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tonytk: Glad we're on the same page ;) (Sappy me...the boards members going to have a fieldday with that one...I asked for it.)

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I believe that the listing of number of pages is related to the book being in Topaz format. At least, I've always used it to raise a flag about that.

I don't think I've ever seen a Kindle book with a page count that was a straight .AZW file.

After I got used to it, I can just as easily use the file size to tell me the book length.

Mike

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I also like knowing the number of pages too, just so I know what I am in for. However, I have never has a problem finding this in the Amazon computer listing but then, maybe I am looking at the print version, not the Kindle? I just usually look through that page first since it usually has more info and more reviews to refer too.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
jmiked said:
I believe that the listing of number of pages is related to the book being in Topaz format. At least, I've always used it to raise a flag about that.

I don't think I've ever seen a Kindle book with a page count that was a straight .AZW file.

After I got used to it, I can just as easily use the file size to tell me the book length.

Mike
Hmm. I thought when it showed both # of pages and file size that meant it WASN'T Topaz. But I could very easily be misremembering.

Either way, I have to say I've never paid much attention to # of pages. If the book looks good, I buy it whether it's skinny or fat. :D

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I've never looked for the number of pages. I never gave it much thought before I had a Kindle, either.

·
Registered
383 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
I've never looked for the number of pages. I never gave it much thought before I had a Kindle, either.
I agree, I never gave it much thought before either, but perhaps that is because you get the visual with the DTB instantly.
Now with the Kindle, it takes effort to figure out how "thick" the book is. :)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I find when I click on the book, kindle or otherwise, scroll down and it will give you all the info, megabytes, pages, etc., etc.  I choose the books to read in my home page by length sometimes because I usually, like sjc, need to finish a book before I get to sleep, particularly if it is a mystery/thriller or I'll dream about it all night.

modify - went a lookin' and found some books that did NOT list pages - hrumph!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
SJC, do you read all books in one day?  If I did that, I wouldn't be able to read most of the books I read.  I do look at number of pages on the book page listing in Amazon, just to get an idea, but it usually doesn't have an effect on what I choose to read.  For non-fiction books that have endnotes and bibliography, the number of actual body pages of the book is shorter than what we see listed.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
sjc said:
If you search a title via computer: Amazon lists the title and the price but never the # of pages. Yet, if you search via the Kindle and Search the store it list the # Pages (once you click on the title). I know Kindle doesn't work by "pages" but I still like to know how many pages. I often decide which book I am going to read by the # of pages. I feel that no matter which way I search: The following info should come up on the same page without further searching: TITLE, PRICE, NUMBER OF PAGES. I often have to turn on whispernet and search for a title then click on the title just to find out the # of pages because the Amazon page via computer doesn't list the info.

Also, after sample...still have to click again to find out price.

Click, Click, Back and Forth...

Anyone else annoyed by this??
yes

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mlewis78:
SJC, do you read all books in one day?
99% of the time I do. Back in the day...Gone With the Wind was a killer...lol. I will put a book down for the night if and only if I am very comfortable with the "leaving off" spot. (Being that I won't obsess about it the rest of the night.) If not, I will read; even if I'm up til 4. But...I've been that way forever . I would get in trouble as a kid; tenting the sheets and reading with a flashlight. (no booklights back then)...OCD??...probably.

P.S. It isn't a matter of "fat vs. skinny" it is a matter of sleeping or not. Hours in the day consumed with a hectic schedule vs. leisure time. For me, I have to make a concious decision before I even open the 1st page...right now, unfortunately, that's just how it is. I wish I didn't have to think about it as much as I do...but I look at the glass as half full and am grateful for any of the precious time allocated for reading...it is a gift.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Yes I like the # of pages info. as well.
Sometimes I want just a quick read,and so without this info. it can be hard to figure out which to read unless it clearly says short story which it generally doesn't.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts