Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this in my Google Alerts for the Kindle: Amazon Press Conference February 9. Amazon is holding a press conference on Monday, February 9, at the Morgan Library and Museum in NY. The last time they had a press conference, it was to announce the Kindle, and all signs are pointing to the announcement of the Kindle 2 this time.

Also, this is right in line with comments Len Edgerly (of the Kindle Chronicles podcast) made in his email to his Kindle Chronicles mailing list last night:

Hi all,
I just heard from my source that Amazon has transitioned to the new version of the Kindle and that the official announcement is expected in mid-February. The way it will work is that if you order a Kindle now (I just did, about 30 minutes ago), when the announcement comes you'll have the option of receiving an original Kindle or paying a slightly higher price -- my source suggested perhaps about $30 more -- to receive a Kindle 2.0.
My source does not expect there to be a Whispernet-delivered software update for the original Kindle that will match the software of the new one, because the new one has such different hardware, including a new controller. My source said it's probable that the new Kindle will enable organizing content in folders, but they weren't positive about that.
I have a lot of confidence in my source, enough to place my own order for a new Kindle, but please know that the only completely reliable word on Kindle 2.0 will come from Amazon, whenever they make the announcement.
Cheers,
Len
I'm not the kind to post rumors about the Kindle 2 -- goodness knows we've had enough of those lately. But this is very interesting...

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
They better have made a change to the original Kindle to allow for folders.

The next few weeks should be interesting on the Amazon boards.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I've also heard through someone who states they have a good source they are going to announce Version 2.0 in February. I have no use for folders although I know many of you need them and would be thrilled. I am interested to see the changes if this is not a rumor. If it is true I imagine there will be some Version 1.0 for sale here. :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
I've also heard through someone who states they have a good source they are going to announce Version 2.0 in February. I have no use for folders although I know many of you need them and would be thrilled. I am interested to see the changes id this is not a rumor. If it is true I imagine there will be some Version 1.0 for sale here. :)
If Len's source is correct, then it looks like I'll have the option to purchase the Kindle 2.0 for around $30 more since my Kindle is still on order. I'll be interested to see the how new version stacks up, but will heavily research it before choosing 2.0. For example, if 2.0 doesn't have an SD card slot (I can't imagine that they would actually leave this out of 2.0), then I'll definitely be sticking with the original). I think the original "2.0" pics were really Kindle 1.0 prototype pics. They seem like a definite step backward.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
???  :-[ I need to be more observant, I received the same email from Len. Not such a big secret.  :D  I'm wondering how many changes/improvements can there be for only an increase of $30 in price?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Since I have my M-Edge (and the light is enroute) and my Decalgirl skin I'm not going to 2.0 unless there is no form-factor change (which is probably a stretch to think won't happen) and there is some feature worth the additional wait for 2.0.  Perhaps 2.0 would be in my future if others in the house salivate over my Kindle and I decide to hand-it-down.  :D

Those of us waiting on 1.0 Kindles can't possibly believe we could switch mid-stream and not add on to our wait.  :)

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
What would be really interesting to see is if they offer a trade in option for people with Kindle 1. I know they don't have to because I choose to buy this version of the Kindle. I am very happy with the version that I have but if Kindle 2 has some really sweet features that I want to upgrade to it would be cool if Amazon offered a discount for the people who tested the Kindle for them.

OK, so I am totally jumping the gun here. Maybe the press conference will announce that they are adding folders period.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jmeaders said:
Those of us waiting on 1.0 Kindles can't possibly believe we could switch mid-stream and not add on to our wait. :)
My DecalGirl skin is on order right now. I need to look into their return policy in case the form-factor has changed (I can't imagine that it hasn't).

But I was just thinking that, jmeaders -- how much longer would I have to wait for the Kindle 2.0 if I opted for it? I've waited this long...

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
http://news.google.com/nwshp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1297743349&hl=en&topic=t

Ah the blogs are at it now. What I love is that the blogs are still saying the crappy images from last year are what Kindle 2 is going to look like. If that is the case, all I want is a firmware upgrade with folders. I would not want the Kindle pictured last year. My guess is that those pictures are bogus but if they are not, I am adding a layer of kevlar around Tavar.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I sent an e-mail to Amazon customer service asking about this.  I doubt I will get any information in a response. 

If the new Kindle is a lot better than the first one, I feel that there will be plenty of upset people who just ordered/received one for Christmas.  Oprah's fans are going to have a hissy fit.  LOL

I wonder if they would offer some kind of a "trade-up" to those who just got one?  They are obviously not required to, but it would be nice if they did.

·
Registered
788 Posts
At first I was pretty miffed since I got my Kindle in November before the crazy backorder started, but after a conversation and thinking it over I've come to the realization that if folders are the biggest innovation with the Kindle 2.0, Amazon.com can keep it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Surely Amazon wouldn't be crazy enough to change the new version so much that Kindle books wouldn't be formatted for the old one anymore, right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
wow. well as one of the first kindle heads years ago i would definitely upgrade [ it is the greatest device ever :}] but i wonder about file transfer from 1.0 to 2.0. i have ALOT of pdfs on my kindle... it would be sweet if I could just move them to the sd card and plug the new sd card into 2.0 and then i can bypass the whole emailing them to myself again... anyone know if 2.0 will have an sd card and if it will read the data from the old one?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I talked to Amazon customer service yesterday and asked this very question.  They hemmed and hawwed a little and then said that they have heard the rumors as well but they have heard nothing internal regarding a new Kindle version 2 launching in the near future.  The way they were trying to deflect my question gave me some reason to believe that this in fact may be happening soon.  If this does happen you can thank me because my Kindle (version 1) is shipping today.  I'm still happy though.  You know the old addage A kindle in the hand is worth....................priceless! :)

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Am I the only one kind of baffled why they would introduce another model of an e-reader in a library?

What if this isn't about releasing a new model (yet), but releasing a way to read library books on the device?

My only issue is IF it is a new model I just ordered a oberon cover and my kindle I got in December has a serious crooked right page button and I worry it won't last long. I guess I shouldn't have gotten a refurb, the risk one takes.

In any case, they won't make the current version obsolete so I don't worry about the books not being readable anymore. That won't happen.

·
Registered
788 Posts
mwvickers said:
Surely Amazon wouldn't be crazy enough to change the new version so much that Kindle books wouldn't be formatted for the old one anymore, right?
I could be wrong, but since amazon.com owns the mobipocket format, I can't imagine they'd format their books in anything else.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
mwvickers said:
This is only my opinion, but I am sure books and content will be upward compatible, yes.

L

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I also wouldn't have thought they would release another version so soon after Christmas and the Oprah special, but I could be wrong about that.  

I don't know.  It's just a little frustrating.

Again, don't get me wrong.  I realize that this is the risk one takes when buying something, especially something electronic.  I guess that is why I never usually purchase many electronic things.  I can't stand the fact that they evolve so quickly.  In some cases (though these are few and far between), the evolution is so great and so quick that a device becomes obsolete very quickly.  Think Laser Disc and HD DVDs.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Leslie said:
This is only my opinion, but I am sure books and content will be upward compatible, yes.

L
You mean backward compatible? I could be wrong, I'm still learning all the technical lingo. LOL

I would like to think so. Then again, XBOX 360 is only partially backward compatible. So is the PS3. As a matter of fact, new PS3s are not backward compatible to the older ones at all (I think).

1 - 20 of 294 Posts