Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My status changed on my order, it says my shipping estimate is March 2.  I chose Free Shipping when I ordered the Kindle..... and I really didn't want to spend ANOTHER $12 for the 2 day shipping. What to do?  They say the free shipping adds 3-5 days at fullfillment.  If I add another Kindle to my cart and choose 2 day, I would RECEIVE it Feb 26th.

Has anyone ever tried the "free trial" of amazon prime?  If I cancel the subscription to Prime after they deliver the Kindle, will they still charge me the $12 for the 2 day shipping I used?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I don't have Amazon Prime, but I do the free shipping constantly and am never disappointed. Stuff does come slower, but it's no less safe than if you had it sent overnight.

Hope that's helpful in some way.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I had tried the free trial and it was actually great and no they do not go back and charge for stuff you bought at the time. I had ordered my Kindle already and it did not change the status of shipping, so you might have to cancel and reorder it. It is helpful too when ordering a case and any other accessories, I got a light that was only 5.99 and still got it in 2 days.

FYI: I cancelled too, after my trial was up.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I did the free trial of Amazon Prime when it first came out, then cancelled it after the free period.  They didn't give me any problems over cancelling it, nor did they charge me for it.

Mind you, a few months later I actually resubscribed to it, and still use it :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think it is a little wrong to sign-up for the trieal, knowing you don't want it/won't keep it, just to get free 2 day shipping.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!  I will call and sign up for the free trial over the phone so they don't mess up my "place in line".

I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on it.  Its a sickness....... I've been reading this board all day!

·
Registered
383 Posts
TM said:
I think it is a little wrong to sign-up for the trieal, knowing you don't want it/won't keep it, just to get free 2 day shipping.
Believe me it is worth it to amazon.

I planned on only using the free trial for Christmas gifts. So, I bought most of them through Amazon. Then, after my 30 days, even though I had planned on canceling, I kept it.

Yes, I am a sucker! ::)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've had my Prime shipping for a few years now and I LOVE it.  I originally signed up for a free trial and forgot to cancel before they charged me.  I'm not so sure how much my husband likes it though. ;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
How does Prime work?  How much does it cost?  Those of you who think it's worth it, why is it worth it?

You're probably the same people who can afford a new K2.  :-\

·
Registered
723 Posts
KindleMom said:
How does Prime work? How much does it cost? Those of you who think it's worth it, why is it worth it?

You're probably the same people who can afford a new K2. :-\
Prime give you free 2 day shipping on any item that offers it. MANY do.
I got a $1500.00 46inch flat panel with free shipping because of it.

If you buy lots of stuff through Amazon it seems to be most worth it.

I have been using it for almost a year now and I will keep it up!

I can't remember what the yearly fee was (possibly $50.00, maybe a little more?)

But free 2 day adds up fast IF you are a frequent Amazon shopper.

FWIW,
Eric (The dog trainer guy.)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
With 5 grandkids, their parents, a brother, a husband and, oh yes, me, I order lots of stuff through Amazon for gifts and, ahem, necessities.  Amazon prime has paid for itself.  BTW, if free 2 day is not available (and it isn't always) I always do the free standard shipping.  I haven't paid for shipping in a long time, with the exception of one emergency Christmas present.  Saving on shipping is one of the ways I paid for the Kindle.  :)

Betsy

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Amazon is charging me 6.98 for delivery on 2/27 what I want to know is when did they start charging tax ?  I live in NY  31.58

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
tessa said:
Amazon is charging me 6.98 for delivery on 2/27 what I want to know is when did they start charging tax ? I live in NY 31.58
When they passed that controversial law in NY about the sales tax. Last May, I think? Amazon and other big online retailers were very opposed and I think there are still some efforts in place to try to get it repealed. Contact your state rep.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
KindleMom said:
How does Prime work? How much does it cost? Those of you who think it's worth it, why is it worth it?

You're probably the same people who can afford a new K2. :-\
I think the Prime fee (annual) is $79. I am due for renewal in March.

Basically you get free two day shipping on anything that qualifies for Prime (and lots of stuff does) and overnight shipping (which I am using for my K2) for $3.99.

You can put relatives on your account, too, so they can take advantage of it. I don't remember all the details but I know I have my parents set up so they get Prime shipping through their account.

I thought of not renewing it after I got my Kindle since I wasn't buying as many books, but I have decided that Prime customers are in a special category and get special attention. I ordered a refurb Kindle on 11/29 with standard shipping and it still came overnight. I am keeping it (the Prime, that is. The Kindle was a gift).

L

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Leslie said:
I think the Prime fee (annual) is $79. I am due for renewal in March.
Yep. Mine just renewed this past month.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've used Prime for 2- 3 years & I love it.  I prefer on-line shopping - it suits my schedule better.

With kids in college, books & other supplies sometimes need to arrive quickly.  Amazon has good ink prices, especially when you don't pay extra for the shipping.

I was able to get a number of things for my daughter to help her setup her first apartment (vacuum, etc) and have them shipped to her without additional incremental cost. 

Since my extended family all live in another state, I have started using Amazon (with gift wrap service) to ship gifts directly to them.

I have occasionally used the 3.99 option for next day service (like for my backordered Kindle - seems crazy after waiting for a couple of months, but I want it to get here as quickly as possible)

So Amazon gets more business from me, and I save on my overall annual shipping costs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts