Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would ask here since I know some of you on this board have it.  If I cancel before the end of my trial period, will I still be able to enroll if I decide to in the future?  I don't know if they'll offer it again if I cancel and don't pay the year right now.  Anyone know?  TIA  :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You can enroll again, but you can only sign up for the free trial once.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!  That's all I needed to know.  Since I got the Kindle, I just am not ordering as much as I used to.  I really needed it last year - not this year! 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
kari said:
Thanks! That's all I needed to know. Since I got the Kindle, I just am not ordering as much as I used to. I really needed it last year - not this year!
You might surprise yourself. I surprised myself. Even though I am not ordering as many books, I still ordered plenty of other stuff and my Prime membership was definitely worth it.

L

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe some of you could explain the benefit of having the prime membership.  I'm always in a hurry when ordering it seems like and have never taken the time to look into the benefits of it.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
stitch said:
Maybe some of you could explain the benefit of having the prime membership. I'm always in a hurry when ordering it seems like and have never taken the time to look into the benefits of it.
With Prime, two day shipping is free; overnight shipping is $3.99 (per item). You pay an annual membership fee of $79. You get the free shipping even if you ship to other people (not yourself) so, for example, if you buy Christmas presents and send them to family and friends, free shipping. You can also put relatives on your Prime account (but they don't have to be on your Amazon account) so that they can also have free shipping. Not every single item sold at Amazon qualifies for Prime shipping (it depends on where the product is coming from) but the vast majority do.

I hate paying shipping charges. It's one of those things that really irks me. So having Prime and not having charges tacked on to every order makes me happy.

I also think Prime customers are tagged differently in the system and getting better shipping, overall. There have been plenty of things I've ordered with 2 day shipping that have come overnight, including one of my multiple Kindles.

L

·
Registered
426 Posts
I wasn't sure if it was worth the $79, since I generally order at least $25 at a time to get free shipping anyway.  I may have to look into this further, since you're not the only one that has said its worth it.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
DawnOfChaos said:
I wasn't sure if it was worth the $79, since I generally order at least $25 at a time to get free shipping anyway. I may have to look into this further, since you're not the only one that has said its worth it.
I'm an instant gratification type person and I hated having to come up with $25 of stuff to qualify for free shipping (I usually had $23!). Plus, the free shipping with $25 purchase is slow free shipping (super saver?). Amazon Prime -- you'll have your stuff in 2 business days.

L

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm certainly on the fence about it - I have a few days left to decide for sure.  I've only ordered one item since I started the trial and it's been almost a month now.  That was the Amazon cover that I sent back and they refunded the $3.99 overnight shipping I paid - that surprised me.

Family members added have to live at the same address from what I understand.  Is that correct?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I find I'm more likely to not care about ordering a $17 widget or something like that, since I have Amazon prime and don't have to worry about shipping (or else before, I'd end up adding something I didn't really want/need just to hurry and get to the limit for free shipping). And like Leslie, I want my stuff *now*, but not so *now* that I want to have to actually drive to a store and get it myself. 

So with prime, I can order *just* the $17 widget that I really need, not order any extra widgets or cables or whatsits I don't need, not pay shipping, and get it in a day or two. As many times a year as I need to, to justify the price for the program (and I do, usually).  (Also like Leslie, I find that even with two-day shipping, I often get things in one day...that may be because I live in a major metro area and perhaps things are being shipped locally sometimes.)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point Steph.  I do often find myself throwing in extra widgets or whatsits to get the $25 free supersaver  -- and then it's s-l-o-w shipping.  :-\

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Leslie said:
I also think Prime customers are tagged differently in the system and getting better shipping, overall. There have been plenty of things I've ordered with 2 day shipping that have come overnight, including one of my multiple Kindles.

L
I'd have to agree with this; prior to Prime things I ordered would take 3-4 days. Now I order with free shipping and 9 times out of 10 get them the next day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Leslie said:
With Prime, two day shipping is free; overnight shipping is $3.99 (per item). You pay an annual membership free of $79. You get the free shipping even if you ship to other people (not yourself) so, for example, if you buy Christmas presents and send them to family and friends, free shipping. You can also put relatives on your Prime account (but they don't have to be on your Amazon account) so that they can also have free shipping. Not every single item sold at Amazon qualifies for Prime shipping (it depends on where the product is coming from) but the vast majority do.

I hate paying shipping charges. It's one of those things that really irks me. So having Prime and not having charges tacked on to every order makes me happy.

L
Thanks for this information. We have talked about signing up for this program but just never have. I'm thinking it would be a good thing for our family. Thanks again.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I love my prime membership.  Like Leslie, it just goes against my nature to pay for shipping. 

Even though with the Kindle I buy a LOT fewer books then I used to, the convenience is worth it.  I used to fuss and hunt for stuff to reach the $25 minimum for free shipping, often waiting until I had enough to buy to reach the minimum, then forgetting to order what I started out wanting to begin with  :-\ .  Now, if I find a book (or something else I want) that isn't available on kindle, I just click *buy, free 2-day shipping*, no hassles!  A day or two later, there it is.

It is also great for giving gifts.  In addition to regular gift occasions, I will often run across a book while browsing that I think someone might like.  If I had to go to the bookstore and buy a $3.99 book, box it up, and ship it, I admit I probably wouldn't go to the trouble.  But since I can just send it off with a couple of clicks, no shipping, no post office, no hassle, I often send people *just because* gifts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I really need to look in to getting this.  I hate to think about the amount of money I could have been saving on shipping.  Thanks again for all the helpful information.  This board is amazing.  ;D

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
I'm an instant gratification person and really enjoy the faster shipping with Prime.  We have had it several years and it's worth it to us.  I actually purchase things from Amazon that are Prime eligible even if the price is a little higher because it balances out with the free shipping.  A lot of their merchandise is available for Prime so I have more choices.  And it sure beats running around town and dealing with Austin traffic to find what I want.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts