Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing the free trial of Amazon Prime. I used to have it in grad school (and it helped so much to get books quickly!), but is it worth paying for Prime for the Kindle? I would appreciate your opinions, everyone. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
67,392 Posts
I'm not sure the 'no extra charge two day delivery' would even apply for you, and that's the main reason I have Prime.  For me, the free to stream videos and one free book to borrow a month is just gravy.  I don't think I'd pay for the service if that's all I was getting.  But as I'm in the US, the two day shiping is really nice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ann, good points! I am thinking though that there are some pop (not great literature or classics) books that I would want to read, that I do not necessarily want to keep forever and take up memory on my Paperwhite. Do you think it would be worth that?

·
Super Moderator
67,392 Posts
Well. . . . . taking up memory isn't an issue. . . . even if you buy it, you can delete it and it will stay in the Amazon cloud.

Keep forever is another thing. . . . it's there until you permanently delete it.  But you can do that if you wish.

Figure it this way:  $79 for a year.  Divide that by 12.  That's what each 'borrowed' book costs if that's all you do with Prime.  How much do the books you're intersted in REALLY cost AND are they available to borrow via Prime.  Not all are -- and, without counting, I'd say most 'big name' best seller types are NOT. :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ann, good point. Also, if I delete a book from my Kindle, it automatically stays on the Amazon Cloud?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
kindlematt said:
Ann, good point. Also, if I delete a book from my Kindle, it automatically stays on the Amazon Cloud?
YES. If not on your Kindle, your books are always in the cloud, immediately available for you to download to your Kindle.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Amazon Prime was not worth it to me.  I don't do streaming and you can only borrow one book a month.  I also don't order enough to make the 2 day shipping pay for itself.

On the books, I read it and then remove from device but it is still stored at Amazon if I want to read it again.
Now on e-cookbooks, I send them to my Kindle for PC app and only download them to my Kindle if I am using a recipe from it.  Then I remove it from device.
You can have most of your books on up to 6 devices.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
110 Posts
  I shop a lot with Amazon. I mean they have groceries - car parts you name it so I always look there first. So it's a given the Prime is worth it for me since most everything is shipped free to members 2 day shipping.
  MY kids are all grown so I don't have video games around here. I do understand if I had one of the newer models I could stream the Prime videos to my TV. But I bought a Roku box and that allows me to stream Prime videos to my TV. That has allowed me to cut down on my cable services bill and save some money.
  Also per the policy on Prime I was able to invite my son and his wife to join my Prime benefits. They don't get the streaming or the book loans but they do get the free 2 day shipping and that makes the service even more worthwhile for my family.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I'd agree with others that it's only worth it if you're getting it primarily for the shipping.

One book a month isn't that much money value since so much of the selection is cheap indie published books anyway.

I use the streaming a good bit, but the selection isn't nearly as good as Netflix so one is better going with them if streaming is the main interest in Prime.

But if you order from Amazon a lot, then the two day shipping (and I often get things in one day lately) is great to have, and then the books and streaming are just nice bonuses as others have said.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
kindlematt said:
Yes - IF you bought it from Amazon. If you got it from some other source like Project Gutenberg, etc, it won't be backed up in the Cloud/Archives unless you download to your computer and use "Send to Kindle" to get it to your Kindle (or email it to your Kindle). If you use the Send to Kindle app, be sure you have it set to keep documents you send backed up in the Cloud/Archives.

Since you're in China, Prime probably won't be worth it for you. I do have it, didn't get it until I got my Fire (well I did have it through Amazon Moms for a while and enjoyed the free 2-day shipping). But between shipping, streaming videos and the Kindle books, I've found it well worth it.

·
5,945 Posts
I would agree with what the others have said - unless the free shipping is something you'll use a lot of, it probably isn't worth it.

I've been a Prime member for years - here in the UK we get free next day shipping and as I get a lot of stuff from Amazon, it's always been cost effective for me, as well as helping to fuel my 'I want it and I want it NOW' personality!

It's only been in the last few months that we've also had the option to borrow Kindle books for free each month - and we still don't get to stream free stuff from Amazon - so yeah, it the shipping costs it saves me that makes it worthwhile. I think you'll find most people will say the same thing.

·
Registered
691 Posts
wvpeach said:
Also per the policy on Prime I was able to invite my son and his wife to join my Prime benefits. They don't get the streaming or the book loans but they do get the free 2 day shipping and that makes the service even more worthwhile for my family.
How does this work? I've been ordering for my mom and just letting her pay me back, but this would be more convenient.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have Prime and it's worth it for me. My mother and I order just about everything from Amazon, so it pays for itself. Plus I enjoy receiving my gadgets as soon as possible.

However, I only paid half price for my subscription since I was a former Student member. And I actually ordered my new subscription by accident o_0 but I'm hooked now, so I'll probably be a member for years.

As for the streaming...I've only found one TV show of any interest. And while I consider the videos a nice addition, they weren't a deciding factor.

And I've never even used the book borrowing feature. I have so many of my own that I always have one waiting.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
You are in grad school? do you have a .edu email address?you get free amazon prime the first year, and a reduced rate of like $49/year for the next 3 years.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTackett, I finished my MA, about to start PhD, but right now not in grad school.  :(

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
mooshie78 said:
Unless they've changed it the student Prime accounts only included the shipping and not the Kindle lending library or streaming videos.
This is true for the free Student Prime, but after the freebie runs out you get full benefits for half the price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts