Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone signed up for AMazon Prime just to get their Kindle quicker with free shipping then cancelled?  If so is it easy to cancel the Prime membership?

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I have Amazon prime.  Signed up to get some Christmas presents fast and decided to keep it.  I order from Amazon enough that it does pay for itself. . . .But it is perfectly acceptable to sign up and then cancel after a month.  Note, however, that if you sign up again, they'll charge you right away.  Only one free lunch, so to speak.

Ann

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I have been a Prime member since they started the program. It is completely worth the money, given how much stuff I buy from Amazon.
Even with the Kindle, I am not buying as many books, but still, for other stuff I haven't cancelled my prime membership.

L

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I resisted prime for a long time.  I usually opt for super saver shipping since I don't mind waiting. 

When I ordered my Acer mini (Ginny), I needed it quickly, so I signed up for the free trial.  Boy did I get spoiled fast. 

Amazon didn't tell me when the 30 days were up, and I didn't keep track because I thought they would.  My Visa got charged before I knew it.  I was thinking of keeping it anyway.  I'm happy the decision was made for me. 

I think that I probably bought things in the past that I shouldn't have so that I could qualify for the free shipping.  Now, I don't have to worry about that, and I think it will save me in the long run. 

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Gertie has an excellent point:  I would do the same thing. . .buy something else I didn't REALLY need to get super saver shipping. That was o.k. before because there was always a book I'd want but with the Kindle, well, not so much.  Now I just order what I need when I need it and know it'll be here in 2 days.  Like, the other day I got annoyed at our can opener when it didn't fully remove the whole can lid for the third time.  Strike 3, you're out.  I ordered a new one and it was here before the weekend.

Ann

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Another nice feature is that you can sort by items eligible for Prime.
Ann in Arlington said:
Gertie has an excellent point: I would do the same thing. . .buy something else I didn't REALLY need to get super saver shipping. That was o.k. before because there was always a book I'd want but with the Kindle, well, not so much.
Ann
You're right about that, Ann. I don't buy books anymore, so it gets harder to find items to make up the $25 minimum.

Prime is going to be a blessing at Christmas and birthdays.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I used the 30 day free trial when I ordered my Kindle and then canceled at the end of the trial period. 

It was really nice to have but I just don't order enough online to justify the expense. 

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Birthday and Christmas are reason enough for me to hang on to Prime. My guys are notorious for not letting me know what they really want until the last minute.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I've had it since it came out.  Wouldn't do without it as I order a lot of stuff from Amazon. 

The Mrs. runs the snack store at the local middle school, profit goes to help out some of the kids who otherwise couldn't participate in extracurricular activities and similar type stuff.

I swear I order $1,000 in just pop tarts a year let alone all the other stuff they eat.  Price is way, way cheaper than buying the stuff at the local grocery store which means more profit to help the kids out.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
kim said:
I used the 30 day free trial when I ordered my Kindle and then canceled at the end of the trial period.

It was really nice to have but I just don't order enough online to justify the expense.
I did the same thing when I ordered my daughter's Kindle, it was easy to cancel - big thing is to remember to cancel. I set myself a reminder on my phone.

·
Registered
918 Posts
[quote I set myself a reminder on my phone.
[/quote]

Me too! ;D. But I loved the free 2-day shipping. I tried to order all the things I wanted to buy before it expired. It was good while it lasted.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, the thing here is that if you see yourself to be using it after or beyond the 30 day trial period, then you better sign up for it and its worth your money back. But if not, just take the 30 day trial and just be sure to cancel before the end of the trial period so that you won't be charged. As simple as that! I did cancel as I wont be using much of it but am rethinking when I see many items I might buy in the future.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I hate shipping costs, so the first place I stop when I want to order anything is Amazon because of Amazon Prime...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Jaasy said:
I hate shipping costs, so the first place I stop when I want to order anything is Amazon because of Amazon Prime...
I hate them too, granted we are paying for them up front with the Prime membership but at least I know what they are and I'm not going to have more added on at checkout. Getting the stuff in two days is a bonus too.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I don't have Amazon Prime, and never pay shipping costs.  I can afford to wait a few extra days for my items (yep Super Saver Shipping for my Kindle, that was agony).  Getting items quickly is a luxury.  I've never had a problem reaching $25 for a purchase, if it's not a big enough order I can either pull something from my wish list, or add it to my wishlist and wait until I want something else as well.

I do ship quite a few presents out of state, but I'm also on top of things enough to order far enough in advance to use the Super Saver.  (I also never check out at a retailer website without first checking out retailmenot.com for any coupon codes.)

Lara Amber 

·
Registered
545 Posts
I signed up for it a couple of years ago when I realized that I had forgotten to send my nephew his birthday present in a timely fashion! I do most of my shopping with Amazon, so it pays for me to be a Prime member. I've saved a fortune in shipping and it feeds my desire for instant gratification. :D

EllenR

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
LaraAmber said:
I don't have Amazon Prime, and never pay shipping costs. I can afford to wait a few extra days for my items (yep Super Saver Shipping for my Kindle, that was agony). Getting items quickly is a luxury. I've never had a problem reaching $25 for a purchase, if it's not a big enough order I can either pull something from my wish list, or add it to my wishlist and wait until I want something else as well.

I do ship quite a few presents out of state, but I'm also on top of things enough to order far enough in advance to use the Super Saver. (I also never check out at a retailer website without first checking out retailmenot.com for any coupon codes.)
LaraAmber, You are my hero! Patient and organized are two things I wish I could be.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts