Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A curiosity question here, one I've been mulling over for a few weeks. Does anyone know if Amazon is now only promoting KDP Select titles through their holiday discounts, Kindle Daily Deal, etc.? I haven't been following it very closely, but it has been a long time since I've noticed a non-Select title being featured.
Any input or observations would be welcomed. Thanks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
They are indeed up to something, because my rankings are sinking like a stone. I went from the 4,000's in the free store to the 9,000's almost overnight.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
None of my books are in Select, and I was promoted in their holiday email. Rankings are sinking because of the numbers of books being sold. You have to sell in much higher volume at this time of the year to maintain a high ranking.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definitely agree with you on sales volume, Liliana. A lot of supposed deviltry attributed to Amazon is nothing more than people who don't understand market forces. If I could ask for a little more clarification--were your books offered as part of a special discount or "Daily Deal", or simply mentioned in Amazon's marketing e-mails?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Christopher Hunter said:
They are indeed up to something, because my rankings are sinking like a stone. I went from the 4,000's in the free store to the 9,000's almost overnight.
I believe this could be partly accounted for by the huge number of freebies people scheduled for Christmas. I think there were thousands more Select promos than usual. It will be interesting to see whether your rank goes back up within 5 (or fewer) days as these promos expire.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Don't forget Amazon now has hundreds--if not thousands--of their own titles to promote.

And that major publishers pay for special promotions (yes, they pay the fox so their hens can walk through the yard to the slaughterhouse...)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking solely in the realm of independent books. Let me rephrase this: has anyone seen Amazon promoting(in the sense of a Daily Deal or similar promotion) an indie book that is not Thomas & Mercer and is not part of Select? I haven't seen it happen in the last nine months, but there may be something I've overlooked.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Perhaps Amazon learned something from last Xmas, and they are applying those lessons this year. With a bunch of new kindle/fire/tablet owners, I'd expect them to push higher priced well known authors. These new ebook consumers never heard of us.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I've had two of my novels show up in those daily Amazon e-mails. I constantly see Out of Time promoted with other sci-fi time travel novels, while another author told me they had Times of Trouble show up in their e-mail from Amazon, and neither one are in Select.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I think it depends on what you look at, "like", and buy that shapes the promotions that you see in your emails. If you buy and and look at lots of Indies that is what you will see promoted.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Amanda Brice had her two book bundle featured in a daily deal about a week ago. Her bundle isn't in Select.

Also, I get emails all the time that promote other indie books that aren't in Select either.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
StephenEngland said:
A curiosity question here, one I've been mulling over for a few weeks. Does anyone know if Amazon is now only promoting KDP Select titles through their holiday discounts, Kindle Daily Deal, etc.?
Nope. My book that was part of last Friday's massive 80-book Kindle Daily Deal has never been in (nor will ever be in) KDP Select.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
StephenEngland said:
I was thinking solely in the realm of independent books. Let me rephrase this: has anyone seen Amazon promoting(in the sense of a Daily Deal or similar promotion) an indie book that is not Thomas & Mercer and is not part of Select? I haven't seen it happen in the last nine months, but there may be something I've overlooked.
It wasn't a Daily Deal but my book was featured as one of the 100 books under $3.99 in October. At the time I'm 99.9% sure the book in question wasn't in Select (it's been in and out a few times).

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
I only have one book in Select, and that one just went up right before Christmas.  I have seen no evidence of Amazon giving it any "help" so far, but any "help" will do.  ;)

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
We should regard Amazon promotions as a perk and never as a requirement. Look to thyself for promotion. We ride the wind when it blows, but when the doldrums come, we cannot blame the sea — just our own particular vessels.

Edward C. Patterson
Keep them Battleships afloat.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
StephenEngland said:
A curiosity question here, one I've been mulling over for a few weeks. Does anyone know if Amazon is now only promoting KDP Select titles through their holiday discounts, Kindle Daily Deal, etc.? I haven't been following it very closely, but it has been a long time since I've noticed a non-Select title being featured.
Any input or observations would be welcomed. Thanks.
I have no idea. I just know that I have had my books in Select from the beginning and I have never had any of them promoted in any way shape or form. Amazon has never done any promo for my books, even when one was doing really well before Select came about. I know that they pick some indie bestsellers and push them, but that didn't happen for me. I think my books are invisible to Amazon.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I was selling a modest twenty or so per month of my book. When I came out of Select, I suddenly didn't sell any for about three weeks. Frightening. (Sales are creeping back up now, fortunately.)

Scare tactic or coincidence?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts