Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an interesting conversation with someone recently, and I'd appreciate some feedback on it.  When my book, The Truth About Dating was ranked overall in the 300-400 range, I was ranked above a lot of famous authors, like Nora Ephron and Steve Martin in Comedy and in Humor, where my ranking was in the single digits.  Instead of saying what everyone else said, "Wow, that's cool!" this friend said, "And you were only selling 130 books a day?  That makes me think that Amazon is lying to you about your sales."

First, I defended Amazon by saying that any sales is better than a manuscript sitting, unread, in my desk drawer.  And Amazon's promotion machine was the reason my book was sellling as well as it was.  But the more I thought about his comment, the more I wondered how it's possible to outsell Nora Ephron without selling thousands of books a day.  Does it strike anyone else as unlikely that Nora Ephron's new book is only selling about 130 Kindle editions a day?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Julie Christensen said:
I had an interesting conversation with someone recently, and I'd appreciate some feedback on it. When my book, The Truth About Dating was ranked overall in the 300-400 range, I was ranked above a lot of famous authors, like Nora Ephron and Steve Martin in Comedy and in Humor, where my ranking was in the single digits. Instead of saying what everyone else said, "Wow, that's cool!" this friend said, "And you were only selling 130 books a day? That makes me think that Amazon is lying to you about your sales."

First, I defended Amazon by saying that any sales is better than a manuscript sitting, unread, in my desk drawer. And Amazon's promotion machine was the reason my book was sellling as well as it was. But the more I thought about his comment, the more I wondered how it's possible to outsell Nora Ephron without selling thousands of books a day. Does it strike anyone else as unlikely that Nora Ephron's new book is only selling about 130 Kindle editions a day?
No, not at all.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
They might be famous authors but they are famous for selling paper books, not ebooks. Their publishers are probably selling their ebooks at a similar price to the dtbs, whereas we indies can price how we like.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I've never seen any evidence that Amazon is mis-reporting sales. When a friend mentions they just bought my book, I see a sale register. (Sometimes it take a little while, but not usually long.)

I'm guessing that Nora's book is a higher price than yours, and you are in fact selling more copies a day than she is.  

Vicki

·
Registered
387 Posts
How much is your book, how much is her book?  It comes down to price, which is why indies have a real fighting chance in this new arena.  My sales figures don't lie.  Hell, I quit my job.  And I didn't do that on a whim.  I did that after nine months of solid, increasing figures and new books coming out.  Like the one coming out Sunday.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Does it strike anyone else as unlikely that Nora Ephron's new book is only selling about 130 Kindle editions a day?
Amazon is only one sales platform. Print books are available everywhere, and they still constitute the majority of books sold.

·
Registered
547 Posts
What Ellen said -- there are a LOT of print readers in the world! I know a lot of print-only readers, voracious readers at that. We can tend to forget that here on the Kindle Boards :). Perhaps people who have always read Ephron in paper want to continue to do so?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts