Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I will try to keep my story short.

Amazon just sent over $1800 in royalties to a closed bank account. I can't get the money and I can't contact amazon. I need help.

I started publishing books on Createspace many years ago, before Kindle. Later I published on KDP too.

When Amazon bought Createspace I went through the steps to merge the two accounts.

The Createspace books never showed up in the KDP dashboard. I contacted Amazon about this several times. They said the accounts were merged and nothing was wrong. Still, my Createspace books never showed up on the KDP dashboard.

Yet I continued to receive royalties of 1000-1300 a month, which was the same as before. So I eventually gave up with trying to get this fixed after 4 attempts.

Then in 2018, a large publisher claimed I used their copyrighted material. I didn't. I proved it. It didn't matter. Amazon didn't want to hear it and they closed my KDP account. Okay, that's their right.

My KDP books disappeared from Amazon. But all my books published through Createspace were and are still there. They're being sold even now!

I kept getting royalties for those books every month for two years. So I left it alone.

In May 2020, my account at the local bank was closed because I moved. The bank only serves a particular area.

But Amazon is still sending payments to the closed bank account! Every month the bank rejects the payments and send me a letter detailing all the rejected payments. This month they amounted to over $1800.

I have emailed Amazon 10 times about this. I have never received a response. I have tried different email accounts, Kindle support and old Createspace email accounts. No one has responded to any of it.

When I log into my KDP everything is blank. When I try to change the payment, it sends me in a loop since my account was banned. So I can't redirect the payments.

But Amazon is still selling my books, and sending the money to a closed account.

What can I do?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kathy Dee said:
Your only recourse is to contact them again and keep doing it until you get a response. Use this link ...

https://authorcentral.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us
Thanks.

I've done that 20 times already. But I will try again.

I am also talking it over with my attorney, but I can only imagine this is going to be a massive hassle.

Obviously they cannot keep my royalties.

Registered
Send an email to jeff @ amazon.com. Explain the situation as clearly as you did here. Unless things have changed, all of his emails are read and passed onto the correct person to handle.

You need to go way above the first level customer service with this. As you have learned, you will get nowhere with them.聽 Or if you don't hear something back from the @jeff route eventually, keep escalating the help/contact emails. They get sent up the chain.

Registered
Sounds to me like where you need to change the banking information is not in the banned KDP account but in the CreateSpace account. Did you have a different log-in for that account? Have you tried using it on the KDP platform? I'd bet your books transferred over into a different KDP account than the one that got banned, but that's just a guess. And that's the one I'd talk to support about if it were me.

Registered
CassieL said:
I'd bet your books transferred over into a different KDP account than the one that got banned, but that's just a guess. And that's the one I'd talk to support about if it were me.
This is a definite possibility. I remember all of my book apparently disappearing in my KDP bookshelf. When I contacted Amazon, they told me I had two accounts. This was something I had not intended at all. But my different (valid) email addresses each apparently had a KDP account; at least, I was able to login to KDP via a 2nd email address. So perhaps this is what happened to you too.

Registered
Have your lawyer snail-mail a letter (on their attorney letterhead) to Amazon's Legal Department. They will forward it to the person at Amazon who is responsible for handling this stuff.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ImaWriter said:
Send an email to jeff @ amazon.com. Explain the situation as clearly as you did here. Unless things have changed, all of his emails are read and passed onto the correct person to handle.

You need to go way above the first level customer service with this. As you have learned, you will get nowhere with them. Or if you don't hear something back from the @jeff route eventually, keep escalating the help/contact emails. They get sent up the chain.
Thanks.

I tried that.

No response.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CassieL said:
Sounds to me like where you need to change the banking information is not in the banned KDP account but in the CreateSpace account. Did you have a different log-in for that account? Have you tried using it on the KDP platform? I'd bet your books transferred over into a different KDP account than the one that got banned, but that's just a guess. And that's the one I'd talk to support about if it were me.
Thanks for the thought. I had a similar idea. Amazon bought Createspace and swallowed it up. So I can't log in over there. I used the same email in any event. And Amazon emails automated monthly payout announcements to that email address.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kathy Dee said:
This is a definite possibility. I remember all of my book apparently disappearing in my KDP bookshelf. When I contacted Amazon, they told me I had two accounts. This was something I had not intended at all. But my different (valid) email addresses each apparently had a KDP account; at least, I was able to login to KDP via a 2nd email address. So perhaps this is what happened to you too.
I thought that might be the case. And somehow on the back end it must be, because my account is banned but I'm still getting payments.

But I only ever had one account with one email and password. So there is no other log in info to try.

I am in a bad situation.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the latest reply from Amazon, which shows no one is even reading the emails:

Hello,

As stated on the termination message, please note that you are no longer eligible to receive any outstanding royalties.

Additionally, as per our Terms and Conditions, you are not permitted to open any new KDP accounts.

If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected]

Regards,

Amazon KDP

Amazon.com

Registered
helpmeplz said:
Thanks.

I tried that.

No response.
If you just emailed the jeff bezos address yesterday, you need to give them some time. I would imagine that address receives loads of messages since it's freely available on the internet, but they do go through them all. Just be patient. This is usually the route that gets results in cases where the regular customer service process fails.

Registered
And in many cases you have bots reading your first level customer service emails. That's why they often don't exactly address your question.

At the bottom of the email you got yesterday there should be something that asks if you got the answer you needed. Or something to that effect. It's been while since I contacted them, and I don't have an email. anyway, answer no. You weren't helped. and keep doing that with every email they send back until you get the sense a real person is communicating with you, not AI.

And like SCB said, you will not get an immediate answer from Jeff & team. You need to wait.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sleeping Cat Books said:
If you just emailed the jeff bezos address yesterday, you need to give them some time. I would imagine that address receives loads of messages since it's freely available on the internet, but they do go through them all. Just be patient. This is usually the route that gets results in cases where the regular customer service process fails.
I've been emailing it weekly for over a month.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ImaWriter said:
And in many cases you have bots reading your first level customer service emails. That's why they often don't exactly address your question.

At the bottom of the email you got yesterday there should be something that asks if you got the answer you needed. Or something to that effect. It's been while since I contacted them, and I don't have an email. anyway, answer no. You weren't helped. and keep doing that with every email they send back until you get the sense a real person is communicating with you, not AI.

And like SCB said, you will not get an immediate answer from Jeff & team. You need to wait.
Thanks.

Yes it said "If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected]"

But that is the same address the email came from.

The run around they put you through is crazy.

Registered
Send an email to jeff @ amazon.com. Explain the situation as clearly as you did here.
This. At this point, you have no account, so sending emails to KDP support won't go anywhere. Create Space is long, long gone, so there's no place to send an email from that account. All that's left is to plead your case to the executive support team (Bezos doesn't actually get the email).

Kathy Dee said:
How do you do ^this?
By responding to the email they send, not by starting a new one. Eventually, you get sent up the chain until you reach someone who actually understands what's going on, and it gets fixed. If you just keep sending a new email all the time, you keep getting the low-level, non-US customer support people.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts