Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Microsoft is opening a whole chain of stores to compete with the Apple stores. It would be beneficial to both companies to team up. They are rarely ever competitors, and Amazon could display the Kindle in the stores so many more people could actually hold one and play with it. Since the Kindle is soaring in popularity, it could be a nice draw to get people into the Microsoft stores. It would benefit both companies.

Steve

·
Registered
168 Posts
A few problems:

1) I don't think Microsoft would be too excited about featuring a product based on the Linux operating system, MS's only real competition;
2) Microsoft's core business is selling operating systems to OEMs. If the stores feature non-Microsoft products, I assume many of their core customers would want to be able to get exposure, and it becomes less of a Microsoft store (I assume their model is the Apple stores, which sell 3rd party products that accessorize Apple products);
3) I'm not sure Amazon would want to have that close of an identification with Microsoft. The Apple cultists ( ;D) would probably not buy Kindles then.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
And we wouldn't want to do anything to encourage Amazon to switch to a Microsoft OS, page turns would take 20 seconds and your battery would only last 20 minutes.  ;D

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
kim said:
page turns would take 20 seconds
Would have to agree with that point right there.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess it wasn't the best idea I've ever had, but it would have folders, and I really want folders, folders, folders, folders ....

Steve

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
They would have to move to a MS operating system first, then we would have the gray screen of death, the Microsoft tune at start up and forced hard restarts every so often for no reason.  Not a good idea.

I want folders, but I'm not willing to move to MS for the operating system to get them. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
kim said:
And we wouldn't want to do anything to encourage Amazon to switch to a Microsoft OS, page turns would take 20 seconds and your battery would only last 20 minutes. ;D
I just read this to my husband - he laughed so hard he got a pain! He's a network engineer and programmer - and therefore, he has NO love for Microslop (as he likes to call them).

·
Registered
26 Posts
My experience with MSN music is one of the things that stays in the back of my mind and keeps me from fully trusting the Amazon/Kindle experience.  As much as I love my Kindle, I keep wondering how long I'll have access to the books I buy.

This would be a horrible combo.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stevene9 said:
I guess it wasn't the best idea I've ever had,
Please Leslie, Harvey, I've admitted this was a wrong, very wrong, extremely wrong idea. They are pummeling me, kicking me, jumping on me. Remove the thread, wipe it out of our memory, destroy every last trace of it. Burn it, and then burn the ashes, and then bury the burned ashes in a concrete slab which will be buried 100 feet under a radioactive waste site. :)

Steve

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
stevene9 said:
Please Leslie, Harvey, I've admitted this was a wrong, very wrong, extremely wrong idea. They are pummeling me, kicking me, jumping on me. Remove the thread, wipe it out of our memory, destroy every last trace of it. Burn it, and then burn the ashes, and then bury the burned ashes in a concrete slap which will be buried 100 feet under a radioactive waste site. :)

Steve
You are forgiven, every so often the Microsoft bug hits. Rest and reading your Kindle helps. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Please Leslie, Harvey, I've admitted this was a wrong, very wrong, extremely wrong idea. They are pummeling me, kicking me, jumping on me. Remove the thread, wipe it out of our memory, destroy every last trace of it. Burn it, and then burn the ashes, and then bury the burned ashes in a concrete slab which will be buried 100 feet under a radioactive waste site.
I know of places you would be drawn and quartered. Just be happy people are nice here. 8)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
kim said:
And we wouldn't want to do anything to encourage Amazon to switch to a Microsoft OS, page turns would take 20 seconds and your battery would only last 20 minutes. ;D
And every two years you would have to buy a new operating system that would not be compatible with your current books, which means you would have to re-buy them. And because of the size of the OS you would be able to store only 3 books on the Kindle. And of course you would occasionally have to turn the Kindle completely off to reboot (or sometimes it would just decide to do it on it's own).

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
FearNot said:
And every two years you would have to buy a new operating system that would not be compatible with your current books, which means you would have to re-buy them. And because of the size of the OS you would be able to store only 3 books on the Kindle. And of course you would occasionally have to turn the Kindle completely off to reboot (or sometimes it would just decide to do it on it's own).
What was that old joke that was going around, about planes built by different software companies? Anyone remember?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
stevene9 said:
Please Leslie, Harvey, I've admitted this was a wrong, very wrong, extremely wrong idea. They are pummeling me, kicking me, jumping on me. Remove the thread, wipe it out of our memory, destroy every last trace of it. Burn it, and then burn the ashes, and then bury the burned ashes in a concrete slab which will be buried 100 feet under a radioactive waste site. :)

Steve
This is your trial by fire, Steve....but if I can say, you are handling it pretty well. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Gables Girl said:
They would have to move to a MS operating system first, then we would have the gray screen of death, the Microsoft tune at start up and forced hard restarts every so often for no reason. Not a good idea.

I want folders, but I'm not willing to move to MS for the operating system to get them. :)
The gray screen of death!! I love it! Thanks for the laugh!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
ROTFLMAO!!! Sort of like Prime-Rib Roast meets Spam.
I've admitted this was a wrong, very wrong, extremely wrong idea. They are pummeling me, kicking me, jumping on me. Steve
Now you know what it feels like to start an innocent post and be pounced. Go visit the other side (the dark one) it is a regular occurance there. At least here, it's not done intentionally, but out of passion.

Although, I do recall a certain someone doing a little of that when I started the Keep K1, Get K2, Keep Both..."unOfficial" (had to change the title) Poll. ;) ;)...Lol. All in good fun.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts