Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there's already a thread, I couldn't find it.

On the eve of BEA, Amazon announced they'd hired Larry Kirshbaum, of the LJK Literary Agency, to head up a new general trade imprint. They will produce print books, and with Kirshbaum's experience and clout (former CEO & Chairman of TW, now Hachette), he will undoubtedly lure many big-name authors to the Amazon table.

Here's my post about it. There's likely to be a million more.

http://www.helenhanson.com/amazon/the-big-six-or-seven-publishers/

·
Registered
982 Posts
This sounds like good news to me. ;D

Without a single print title ready to hawk, rumors swell that indie booksellers are planning to boycott the newest Amazon imprint. Joe Konrath laments this development, but personally, I think the Amazon juggernaut will be impossible to shun. Everybody wants to play poker with whoever has the most cash. Adding Kirshbaum to the Amazon ranks provides the literary gravitas that will draw much bigger names to the Amazon tent. But genteel veneers aside, I expect a bare knuckle brawl for business.
Definitely got a point there. How do you shun that?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Call me naïve, but I really don't understand why some indie bookstores would boycott authors for going with Amazon. There's no reason why they can't get books from Amazon just like they do small presses and some of the Big Six. Can someone explain?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
When Amazon began selling books online, without paying sales tax in most cases, and with deep discounting, it set off an earthquake among bookstores. That was long before ebooks. Many have never forgiven them, and can't imagine being in partnership with them.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
As sales of paper books decrease and Borders folds, independent booksellers are going to reduce their own sales to hurt one division of the world's biggest online retailer?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I believe the article said that his focus was going to be on non-fiction and literary. Since most folks here write genre, I don't know how much it'll affect us...yet. :)

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
jillmyles said:
I believe the article said that his focus was going to be on non-fiction and literary. Since most folks here write genre, I don't know how much it'll affect us...yet. :)
Bookstores have always had the option to buy and stock a title or not. If for some misplaced reason they want to ban an AMZ imprint, they can do that. The logic is really flawed and makes no sense, but some like to rant.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
jillmyles said:
Literary and non-fiction... hmmm. I wonder if they're look at what's in Create Space for possible candidates? (rubs hands eagerly...)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thank you for posting this!

I read your blog and the one you referenced on Joe Konrath's blog.

Very interesting that people would react by boycotting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts