Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not Seen this mentioned, but I read an article in my google newsfeed that Amazon are to list Goodreads' reviews and star ratings alongside those of Amazon's reviews and rating on the sales page.

Apparently it's already in beta in some server areas of the US.

Tell me what your reaction is to this news?

Found this link today, but not looked for others as confirmation.

.Goodreads reviews to Amazon page

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Shoot. Now I wish I'd taken a screen shot.

I saw my GR rating on my latest sometime in the last week, but I was focused on something else. Now it's gone. I guess I was connected to the right server at the time.

Like others, I don't see a downside, personally. My Amazon rating is actually a tiny bit higher, but it's pretty much a wash. 4.4 and 4.33.

Having said that, I rarely pay attention to my GR ratings because they're often meaningless. A lot of readers use the GR star system to categorize what they want to read next not to rate something they've already read.

· Registered
765 Posts
Having said that, I rarely pay attention to my GR ratings because they're often meaningless. A lot of readers use the GR star system to categorize what they want to read next not to rate something they've already read.
I dunno. I just got a 4 star review for my book "The LookyLoo" on Goodreads by a big time reviewer over there with a following. The review got a buncha likes from his followers and ever since then my KENP reads have started up again after nary a peep in months. So, needless to say, I'm a very happy boy right now.

Dee

· Registered
1,717 Posts
I dunno. I just got a 4 star review for my book "The LookyLoo" on Goodreads by a big time reviewer over there with a following. The review got a buncha likes from his followers and ever since then my KENP reads have started up again after nary a peep in months. So, needless to say, I'm a very happy boy right now.

Dee
Yep, there are lots of valid reviews there. But it's always been the case that a whole lot of readers use the star system for their own rating purposes--meaning there's a good chance of your rating getting skewed.

There are some interesting points in this thread. It's old, and GRs has tried to change user behaviour since then, but I bet there are readers still using it like they did from the start. So I still take the star rating with a grain of salt.

Goodreads: Ratings Questionable?

· Registered
725 Posts
My reviews are generally 0.5 point lower on Goodreads :(
It might be a wash as, I thought, it was that way with everybody. Maybe I'm just the unlucky one.
Actually, I did notice that Goodreads reviewers tend to be more critical and demanding compared to the more forgiving Amazon crowd. They have no problem ripping a book apart. Lots of books I personally love have very low averages on Goodreads.

· Registered
Of Claws and Inferno (Of Cinder and Bone #5)
1,153 Posts
My reviews are generally 0.5 point lower on Goodreads :(
It might be a wash as, I thought, it was that way with everybody. Maybe I'm just the unlucky one.
You're not alone. I have more ratings for my first-in-series permafree UF novel on Goodreads because of the wonderful Ilona Andrews posting about the book back in 2018 (700+ ratings on GR versus only 210 on Amazon), but GR definitely has a culture of negativity to it. I stopped looking at status updates for my books because it was always some pissant who thinks they're clever making nasty comments about the book or about me. People have reported the same with NetGalley--it seems to attract douchebags. All of my books are in good standing, but the GR crowd is much more harsh with much less reasoning because GR in no way regulates what's posted. Someone can say they didn't read it and give you a one star and there are no consequences whatsoever. Granted, Amazon also refuses to remove one star reviews where they attack you or admit they didn't even read the work, but at least it's in smaller numbers. Good luck. I hope it doesn't hurt your overall ratings.

· Registered
980 Posts
You're not alone. I have more ratings for my first-in-series permafree UF novel on Goodreads because of the wonderful Ilona Andrews posting about the book back in 2018 (700+ ratings on GR versus only 210 on Amazon), but GR definitely has a culture of negativity to it.
For me, overall, they're lower than Amazon. Sure there's some great reviews on Goodreads, but overall, they're lower. Will posting them on Amazon change anything for me? I don't know. It reminds me of the ratings explosion we saw on Amazon two years ago (you know, when ratings were nill and all we had were reviews).

I haven't given up on Goodreads. I've found some great readers and fans. It's hard to ignore Goodreads with the sheer number of readers. I even post blogs there. But, like Netgalley, yeah, they can have some rough ones.

· Registered
273 Posts
For me, overall, they're lower than Amazon. Sure there's some great reviews on Goodreads, but overall, they're lower. Will posting them on Amazon change anything for me? I don't know. It reminds me of the ratings explosion we saw on Amazon two years ago (you know, when ratings were nill and all we had were reviews).

I haven't given up on Goodreads. I've found some great readers and fans. It's hard to ignore Goodreads with the sheer number of readers. I even post blogs there. But, like Netgalley, yeah, they can have some rough ones.
For most books by all authors, the reviews are much lower on GR (even for famous books). GR people seem to be the snarkiest people since the reddit crowd, and most don't buy books. Chances are, you had a free or 99 promo that attracted some GR people, and that invariably leads to lower reviews. This isn't a positive, mixing the two. And as stated above, most of them use the rating system the wrong way. This isn't good news.

· Registered
11 Posts
I hope this is correct. The biggest trouble with getting Amazon reviews is the $50 spend rule. Personally, I very rarely buy from Amazon but I do like to review books from time to time. This means I can't post to the 'Zon.
As for my own books, I find GR reviews to be generally better, both in the rating and in the quality of the reviews themselves. A lot of GR reviewers are writers themselves, so they are better equipped to offer constructive criticism (which I welcome) and to understand story structure.

· Registered
12 Posts
Soon, there will be not much difference between Amazon and Goodreads. The new Goodreads's interface no longer allows to see who gives marks without reviews. This will allow a lot of creativity, and Amazon is very creative.

· Registered
2,540 Posts
So far, I'm still seeing the old interface. I found GR to be a reasonably decent author's demographics research tool, as it gave you a rough overview of those who rated, added, reviewed, etc. your books.... you could at least determine percentages of male vs. female in your reading demographics, and sometimes other demographic characteristics -- giving you at least some picture of who your readers are. If that feature leaves, there really will be no further reason for me to visit GR.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts