Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Amazon Trade In is relatively new to the UK so got a couple questions about other people’s experiences as looking to use it for new PPW5…
  • Can you send multiple kindles at once? (I know the 20% discount doesn’t stack but obviously vouchers are helpful)
  • What’s expected of you to trade in? (ie charging block, micro usb cable, original box etc)
  • Have people been successful in applying the 20% discount to preorder of this model? Or wait til release day
  • Validity period of discount
  • Expectations of battery health, aesthetic condition, etc
  • Sending in case and padded envelope acceptable protection? (Cases no use to me for new model don’t expect money for this purely for transport protection)
  • Any other helpful tips welcome :) thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I started doing trade-ins once it became apparent that I had too many old devices that I was never going to use again. I have had mostly good luck; the exception was an Echo Show that was working fine when I packed it, but mysteriously stopped working by the time it got to Amazon… Now I take photos before and during the packing process for evidence.
As to your questions:
1. Personally I see no value in doing multiples since the ones I trade in are older. I only got $5.00 for my DX this last time. I keep the more recent models so I have back-ups. And if they release an updated Oasis with the usb-c charger, I will have another older device to trade in for the discount.
2. You only have to send the device in - no accessories.
3. I just did the pre-order for the PW Signature with the discount.
4. The email regarding the discount says it is a limited offer. I looked around a bit but could not find a definite length of time or expiration date. I only trade something in when I want to order something new, so it has not been a problem.
5. The questions they ask are pretty much along the lines of “does it work?” I don’t know about the look. Most of my devices are kept in pretty good shape, so it has not been an issue.
6. I either send in original packaging, or I box them really well. If I have a case that won’t work on anything else I will ship in that. I also tend to cover the screen with cardboard. A padded envelope might be fine. There are usually small Amazon boxes around the house so it’s easy enough to use a box. If I had more envelopes I would probably try that at least once.

Make sure to factory reset the device to remove content and get it off your account. Take photos for proof. I usually get one of the screen with the serial number.
Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
1 ... I think so, but, for your own peace of mind, carefully document everything you put in the box and send. I've not personally don so, however.
2 ... usually all they want is the device. Using the original box makes it easier, but they don't generally want the wires or any separate cases/covers.
3 ... As soon as the trade in is accepted, the 20% is available. It's definitely good on the newest models.
4 ... a couple of months, I think, but not sure as I've only ever taken advantage of it when I knew I wanted to buy a new one pretty much right away.
5 ... you say what condition it's in and they'll pay based on that. UNLESS it's in a not as good condition. It usually has to be working and not too beat up to get anything much. You get to say whether to send it back to you if it's not as you said, or take the lower amount.
6 ... they won't want the case .... just use a good envelope or box to protect it in transit

In the US, there are now physical establishments that will take the kindles for the trade in, so you don't have to ship it. No idea if they have such things in the UK. If so, and there's one relatively near you, it's a good option as they take it and complete the trade in right there. You don't have to wait to be sure it gets back and logged in -- no 'lost in the mail' possibility. If this is an option, likely it will say something to that effect when you start the process.

Andra's note about resetting to factory and taking lots of pictures are both good ideas! :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Really helpful replies thank you so much
I don't know how it works in UK, but if/when you send it in be sure to use any package-tracking available -- #, screen-shots of progress, etc.

I had a trade-in get delivered (per tracker) then lost somewhere in Zon-land, so my discount + value was revoked. I got it all restored after a chat w/ customer service & sending the tracker info.

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
I don't know how it works in UK, but if/when you send it in be sure to use any package-tracking available -- #, screen-shots of progress, etc.

I had a trade-in get delivered (per tracker) then lost somewhere in Zon-land, so my discount + value was revoked. I got it all restored after a chat w/ customer service & sending the tracker info.

That's what's nice about being able to take it to a physical store: You know they get it because the store gives you a receipt. In the US, there's a company called "UbreakIfix" which is basically a cellphone/tablet repair shop. To my knowledge, the 'in person' trade in has been available at least a year here. I learned about it because when a did a trade 6-8 months ago, it was offered as an option with details about how to find a place.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That's what's nice about being able to take it to a physical store: You know they get it because the store gives you a receipt. In the US, there's a company called "UbreakIfix" which is basically a cellphone/tablet repair shop. To my knowledge, the 'in person' trade in has been available at least a year here. I learned about it because when a did a trade 6-8 months ago, it was offered as an option with details about how to find a place.
Yeah, if I were doing a trade-in today I'd take it to one of the physical store options.
I think I was just too early for that option -- or bad timing WRT COVID closures or whatever.
(but at least my tracker-delivered-to-Amz served as a 'receipt' thank goodness)

·
6,032 Posts
So, I've taken the plunge and sent off my old Kindles!

I didn't get an option to do the actual trade-in locally - I don't know if that's the case in all of the UK or just where I am - but there was a local store doing UPS drop offs so I took the parcel there and got an instant email receipt.

According to the tracking it should arrive at it's destination tomorrow but I'm not sure how long it then takes them to inspect the items as I've never traded in before.

Hopefully all will go well but I've taken the advice from you guys here and photographed just about everything before I sent them off - the screens showing they worked and the device info, the packing I used (in covers, in padded envelopes, in a box with extra packing!), the outside of the box showing the shipping label etc. (Yes, OK, I may have overdone it but like I said, newbie trader here!).

Still haven't decided on which new model I'm going for but apparently I have until 27th October to order and still get the 20% discount. I keep telling myself I don't need the Signature's extra specs, but if I use that logic I would have to say I don't really need a new Kindle at all - it's all about the want. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts