Kindle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
scarnell said:
Can someone tell me how long it takes to get a new kindle if you send one in for trade-in. I know this is probably a silly question, but I read on mine everyday and it is the only one I have.
If it's a defect issue -- meaning something's not right and you want a replacement -- they will normally send it right away. So like next day in many cases. And then you just have to return the bad one within 30 days, or else they'll charge you for the new one.

If you're trading it in through the program we're talking about here, it takes roughly a week for them to get it and maybe up to another week for them to check and be sure it's what they expected. Then they post the gift card to your account. You can track the return via UPS so you'll know when they get it and can then keep watch for when the GC hits your account. But I think they also send emails when they're all done, especially if they are giving you the lesser amount. Then you would order the new kindle whenever you want and can get it as fast as you're willing to pay for.

It would be hard for me to trade in a kindle, even to get a brand new one, if it was the only thing I had! :eek: Because it would be, probably, at least a couple of weeks without. Of course, you can still use the kindle app on a phone or tablet, or even a computer. And there are always paper books . . . but Kindle is the best. ::)

eta: I just sent one out on the 10th and UPS shows it was delivered today.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
scarnell said:
Can someone tell me how long it takes to get a new kindle if you send one in for trade-in. I know this is probably a silly question, but I read on mine everyday and it is the only one I have.
Scarnell,

I think Ann's estimates below are a little long based on my experience with the current program. They used to assess the items on the quality--the current program seems to only care if it works or not. You used to have to tell them what condition you thought the device was in, now you don't. I think this is why the turnaround on their end is faster under the current program.

At any rate, here is my timeline for the last device I shipped, back the end of March:

Mar 30 - Shipped from Alexandria, VA
April 4 - Rec'd by Amazon in Hebron, KY
April 5 - $50 Gift card credited to my account.

I got an email on April 5 that my trade-in had been received and the $50 credited to my account.

EDIT: I mailed another one on May 6; UPS shows it delivered today (May 12). Will post when I get the credit.

So, depending where you are, I would say, yes, at most a week to ship it out. But the turn around for the gift certificate was only one day. And, of course, depending on how you ask for it to be delivered, you could order it as soon as you get that credit and have a new Kindle, depending on the device, in as little as a day, depending on the shipping.

Sometimes you do what ya gotta do. The newer Kindles are so worth it!

Betsy

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Ann in Arlington said:
eta: I just sent one out on the 10th and UPS shows it was delivered today.
UPS likes Arlington better than it likes Alexandria! :mad: :p :'(

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Probably just timing . . . I actually dropped it at the UPS store at seven corners . . . Before noon. I was surprised when I checked that they had it already!

We'll see how fast I get the store credit.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ann in Arlington said:
Probably just timing . . . I actually dropped it at the UPS store at seven corners . . . Before noon.

We'll see how fast I get the store credit.
Yeah, my latest one was dropped off just after noon at a small UPS store near my house.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
KindleGirl said:
I just sent in a Paperwhite. It shows it was delivered 2 days ago to them and I don't have a gift card yet. It still shows as "processing".
:(

Maybe it's a function of how many they get all at once.

:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks. I'm having a hard time giving up my paperwhite, but I'm on a fixed income and can only get a new kindle if I trade one.  I would love to have the lighterwight model.
Thank you all for being so helpful.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I agree that it should be really fast . . . a couple of days for UPS to deliver and a couple more to credit your account . . .  but I also think one should be prepared for the whole process to take a couple of weeks. If any part of it crosses a weekend that will slow things down. And weather could delay the UPS delivery. And if they suddenly have a huge influx of trade ins it will take longer to process.

As I said, you can track the UPS delivery. I think it would be fair that, if you see they've had the thing for a week and you've still not been credited or heard from them, it would be perfectly appropriate at that point to contact them and ask what gives?  I returned a kindle years ago and that happened to me. When I contacted them, they said, "it takes a few days." I pointed out -- and sent them copies of the UPS delivery confirmation -- that it had been a week. They couldn't find any record internally of actually having received it and promptly credited me the 'like new' amount I'd requested since the hiccup was obviously on THEIR end of things. No idea what ever did happen to that kindle.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I mailed mine on the 10th.  They received it on the 12th, I was credited on the 17th, which was on the third business day--there was a weekend in there.

The whole thing didn't take a week, which was pretty good.

Betsy

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mine is still processing, but it was delivered yesterday.  Mailed on the 13th. 
A week to get there, coming from San Diego

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
scarnell said:
How long does the trade-in kindle usually stay in processing after Amazon receives it? I guess I am a little anxious.
I sent mine via UPS on the 10th and they got it on the 12th. I got the notice that the GC value was credited on the 17th.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just checked the status and it says it's being returned to me...The reason it's giving me is that the "wrong item was received". I can't figure out what happened, the Kindle I sent them is the Paperwhite 2 (6th) generation. Does it make a difference whether it's with or without special offers? I'll call them tomorrow, but I'm so bummed...I've been without a Kindle now since the 12th

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 65 Posts