Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had good ratings for my 99 cents short stories on Amazon.UK and some sales as well (selling 100+ in a month, combined). In the last four days, I have received three one-star reviews of two of my short stories. All three reviews call my stories "traps" and allege that the short stories are only synopsis of two other stories.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005NYCA1K

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005PVVUTO

What to do with these hater reviews?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Nothing. Whatever you do, don't respond/comment or you will sound petty, or whiny, or defensive, or anything other than a rational human being. No matter how hard this may be for you, the only thing you can do is report the reviews to Amazon. If they won't take them down, swallow hard and don't read any more reviews.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I concur, ignore them.

Anyone with half a brain will see that people who can't write 'your' instead of 'ur' or 'be' instead of 'b' (I mean, come on, how hard is that) aren't really to be taken much notice of, especially in terms of literary recommendations.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It hurts. It feels like the world's ganging up on you, like they all got it wrong, and if only you could explain...

You can't explain, and no one will remove them.

Write on, use the pain to make what you do better; that's what pain forges, something stronger, something better.

·
Registered
245 Posts
As others have said: don't do anything (publicly). Don't respond because that'll just make you look bad. Be professional.

There's something private you can do: learn from the experience. You can grow a thicker skin, and you can also use the negative reviews to ensure you don't get any more. I checked the Amazon listing for "The Story of an Arranged Marriage" and the negative reviews complain that the story is short and seems incomplete.

The thing is...a 4 star review you have says the same thing: "Just one point though it is not a full fledge book, its more of a short story, ends in 45 kindle pages. Just as I started to enjoy reading it, it ended."

The 3 star review you have ALSO mentions the same issue: "Not very impressed. Not a full book, just synopsis of two books. I would have loved to know this before I purchased the book."

I see you already mention it's a short story in the blurb, but is there anything else you can do to avoid this confusion? It seems the readers aren't reading that information.  :-\ Maybe change the cover and add "a short story" along with the title? There has to be some way to make sure people stop leaving bad reviews because they expected a longer book!

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
There was a thread yesterday on short stories getting reviews that the book is "too short," and what to do abt it. Not too many solutions, unfortunately. It might help to take the sample out of the back of "Mandy." I think that's what prompted the "trap" comment, there. and anything you can do to really flag the fact these are short stories ...

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou all for your responses.  I hadn't thought of the fact that these reviewers were referring to the sample of "Saffron September."  It does say upfront that there is a free sample at the end, and that practice if not standard, is still done.  The stories are complete, and they deliver on their stated word count.  If people are still complaining, I don't think I can do much!

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
rubyscribe said:
Thankyou all for your responses. I hadn't thought of the fact that these reviewers were referring to the sample of "Saffron September." It does say upfront that there is a free sample at the end, and that practice if not standard, is still done. The stories are complete, and they deliver on their stated word count. If people are still complaining, I don't think I can do much!
Yeah, I know it must be terribly frustrating. The idea of putting "A Short Story" on the cover might work. I think people are more apt to look at the cover than at the blurb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts