Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an invite to this program, ostensibly because I tossed a few reviews up.  I ordered two books which I guess are ARCs or at least free copies.  Has anyone else participated in this?  What did you think?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I know there are a few people here who participate, because I've seen comments.

I'm in it, but I'm new, too. All I can tell from reading is that if you want a chance at the best stuff that you need to not wait for the newsletter to come in the email, but to be where the items are posted when it's due out, 2p central on (I think) the third and fourth Thursdays. The first one is targeted to you and the second one is leftovers from all the newsletters.

You have to review 75% of the stuff you request -- this allows you leeway for a book that you can't review since you can't make it beyond page 5. I've noticed a little bit of a competitiveness surrounding it. Personally, I just want to get stuff -- wish there were Kindle choices -- and then review them honestly, but I'm just an old-fashioned girl like that.  :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Did you receive the books directly from authors whose other works you had reviewed?
No, there is actually a complete Amazon page (with a complete Amazon profile and shipping page) with all the books available for review. Apparently it may include CD's and DVDs as well.

Here is the opening page, apparently it comes as a monthly newsletter:

This edition of Amazon Vine features all available inventory from the past two newsletters. We are excited to share that you may choose up to 4 products that interest you from this list to complement any selections you made last week. You are required to write a review for 75% of the items in your Vine account before you will be able to request another Vine product, so please be sure to come back to the Vine website (http://vine.amazon.com) to post your review.

As always, please contact us at [email protected] with any questions or feedback. We also read your posts on the Vine discussion board, so feel free to share your thoughts there as well.

We hope you enjoy this month's assortment of products! Thank you for supporting Amazon Vine.

Regards,

The Amazon Vine Team

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Did you receive the books directly from authors whose other works you had reviewed?
Pubs, manufacturers, etc offer the books and items, and then Amazon offers them. A lot of ARCs, some electronics, DVDs and CDs, snacks, dish washing soap. etc. People don't seem to know why they, on the targeted newsletter, get offered the items they do. :)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
hackeynut said:
Heh, if I can't get beyond page 5, I am pretty sure I could write a pretty honest 1 star...
I'm with you there, but it opens you up to people who are convinced you have to read the whole thing in order to comment. "How do you know it didn't get better?" I've seen some knock-down, drag-outs over that. Not on Amazon, but elsewhere. I don't know if Amazon has a policy on that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MichelleR said:
I'm with you there, but it opens you up to people who are convinced you have to read the whole thing in order to comment. "How do you know it didn't get better?" I've seen some knock-down, drag-outs over that. Not on Amazon, but elsewhere. I don't know if Amazon has a policy on that.
I generally have never stopped reading a book before the halfway point. If I'm bored at the halfway point, I feel I can honestly review it.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I've been on the Vine for a little over a year.  The best thing to do is to avoid their forum.  Or just lurk.  Ignore the complaining. Pick what you want and give an honest review of what you pick.  I will say to be careful about not reading a book before you review. Amazon will toss or hold up a review, especially a bad one, if you didn't read the book.  So, it is best to finish reading it, and give a bad review, than to post you couldn't read past page 5.  The companies who give products to the Vine program pay a lot of money up front, plus the products and shipping.  They expect if you pick a product you use it, (read it) and review it.  A negative review is allowed, and I've done them.  But, to not use the product, or not read all of it and then give a negative has gotten a few people booted eventually.  So, it is best to not get caught up in attempting to get what is "hot", and to just get what you think you can utilize. JMO

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
You can't post any vine review  on any other site that sells or links to sells of the book (unless they ONLY link back to Amazon.)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
You can post a review of the book. You just can't cross post your vine review on a site that has Amazon competitors.  Does that make sense?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Red said:
You can post a review of the book. You just can't cross post your vine review on a site that has Amazon competitors. Does that make sense?
Perfect sense. I didn't think they were barring me from reviewing it entirely. :)

Obviously a complete cross-post is just easier. Not a big problem though.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I think it's a smart idea, because I steer away from books with no reviews -- well, I guess I can't do that anymore  :) -- and others are probably the same. It feels like there's just not enough info to go on, even if it seems like a book I might enjoy. Even negative reviews might sell me on a book, depending on what they say.

So, yeah, it makes sense to encourage other people to start the conversation and give some info that you can't determine from cover art and a brief blurb.

I read somewhere that a book needs about 20 reviews before sales really start to increase off them, but any comments must help.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I've been in the Vine program for a year or so.... I've only reviewed two books, the books they send are advance paperbacks. I've also gotten a Nintendo DS game, a mango marinade, dog treats, and a few other things to try. I appreciate Amazon doing this, a lot of these things are items I would not have purchased otherwise.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Like most things amazon they don't say. I was told I was referred by a kindle support person based on kindle book reviews, so maybe amazon has people who recommend base on their own lurking.  But I don't know for certain. 

1 - 20 of 25 Posts